Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #1

Class B license in PA

I think I need a class B drivers license to drive my motorhome. It weighs over 26,000 pounds. I went to two different licensing centers two times each, and got 4 different forms. Also permit says you must have a licensed CDL driver with you whenever you drive it. Does anyone know what is the real answer to what I need to drive it?thanks, Greg

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeears View Post
I think I need a class B drivers license to drive my motorhome. It weighs over 26,000 pounds. I went to two different licensing centers two times each, and got 4 different forms. Also permit says you must have a licensed CDL driver with you whenever you drive it. Does anyone know what is the real answer to what I need to drive it?thanks, Greg

See attached Non-commercial Class B PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - Classes of Licenses

It's not unusual for the DMV and 99.9% of all LEO's to not know a special license is required. Only 12 states require any type of special license or permit to drive a motorhome over 26001 lbs.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:27 AM   #3

You will need a Class B non-commercial license. According to the rules, while you have your permit, a driver with a non-com class B or better license is supposed to be with you. When you take your test, you must be accompanied by a driver with a non-com class B or better license. If your MH has air brakes, you will also be required to perform and air brake check. The requirements for this test are found in the CDL manual.
jreichlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:22 AM   #4

I got my PA Class B. Easy-peasy. And it helped me drive my 42 safer and easier; a true joy actually.
It is all here:
Pennsylvania RV Drivers License

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I own a Tag and License business, so I asked one of the girls to answer this. Here is what she gave me.

Non Commercial Drivers License
  • CLASS B (minimum age 18): Required to operate any single vehicle rated in excess of 26,000 pounds. Example: Motor homes rated at 26,001 pounds or more.
Right from the Penndot site. Even I am surprised, as I thought that no license was required for any motor home in Pa. If you have any more questions, send me a PM with your phone # and I'll have one of the girls call you.

On the other hand, It would also surprised me to find that the troopers are checking this. But if mine were over 26000 pounds, I would get the license, not worth the
Old 04-23-2015, 04:47 PM   #6

The test is few minutes of good education after reading the CDL manual, and 15 bucks. You will drive safer!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
It's not unusual for the DMV and 99.9% of all LEO's to not know a special license is required. Only 12 states require any type of special license or permit to drive a motorhome over 26001 lbs.
I agree, I've found that many LEOs and DMV workers in those twelve states don't know or are confused about those who drive motorhomes (mostly, diesel pushers, diesel pullers, or diesel cab chassis as those are the ones that most commonly will be over the 26,000 lb. rating) needing a special license. So you may not receive a citation for being improperly licensed when being pulled over for a something else or being in a minor accident. However, what I've been told, which has kind of scary ramifications, is if you are ever involved in major accident which could involve liability questions, you definitely would want to be "properly licensed" in your state when it comes to insurance and legal issues.

Also, folks should keep in mind that it's not the actual weight of the vehicle being 26,000 lbs or more but what it is "rated" at or its GVWR or Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. One guy I once was talking to in my state (Nevada where it is one of the states that require a non-commercial Class B license to drive a vehicle over 26,000 lbs GVWR) claimed "my rig never is loaded to its maximum and I weighed it at the scales and it's under 26,000 lbs so I don't need a special license." However, he owned a small diesel pusher and its GVWR was specified by the manufacturer to be 26,950 lbs. Therefore, he requires a Class B license in Nevada to drive his rig no matter what the vehicle weighs at the scales. The GVWR is the maximum weight that the manufacturer rates the vehicle to totally weigh with all cargo, passengers, fluids, etc. and is a static figure.