Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also take a look at the Thor ACE line. They come in at 11' 11" high and typically under 30' length. They have a retractable bunk bed over the driver, plus a convertable couch and dinette, so sleeping 5 or 6 isn't a problem. The ACE 27.1 even has a King size bed in the rear.

Winnebago also has a similar line.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #16

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
So if our intent is primarily state parks in the southeast, but also out west (we hope to hit Utah this summer), is it smart to stay maybe 33 feet and under if we end up with an A?

Old 03-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
So if our intent is primarily state parks in the southeast, but also out west (we hope to hit Utah this summer), is it smart to stay maybe 33 feet and under if we end up with an A?
I have not had any problems in state parks at 33 ft. Dont know why you are not seeing more A's. It never stopped me, but mine is not a big guy

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #18

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

I have not had any problems in state parks at 33 ft. Dont know why you are not seeing more A's. It never stopped me, but mine is not a big guy
I guess that's what I am asking. State parks in TN have tight, narrow roads, and many sites that are just small and won't work for anything over 35 feet. Lots of sites with trees on both sides (and I mean just off the gravel or pavement so they are close too) making backing in very tough. Oh, and pull throughs are RARE. I'm hoping TN is unusual as we hope to head out west.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post

I guess that's what I am asking. State parks in TN have tight, narrow roads, and many sites that are just small and won't work for anything over 35 feet. Lots of sites with trees on both sides (and I mean just off the gravel or pavement so they are close too) making backing in very tough. Oh, and pull throughs are RARE. I'm hoping TN is unusual as we hope to head out west.
A visit to the state parks web sites and/or a phone call may help you. They usually accomodate if space is an issue. And I have seen some 40ft rigs.
I had no problems and usually had room to spare, and I have 2 slides. Backing is a chore for some, but I've done okay with a 23 ft C, 25 ft A, and this one.

Hopefully other folks will chime in here.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #20

We stay in many state parks from Winnipeg to SC each year. We're 37 ft and haven't had a problem (tight sometimes), not to say we have visited them all. Using the reservation system (reservation America) allows you to plug in your size so you can see what's available. Easy way to see which state parks you can fit into. Have seen many 40's in state parks along our way.
luvmydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #21

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmydolphin View Post
We stay in many state parks from Winnipeg to SC each year. We're 37 ft and haven't had a problem (tight sometimes), not to say we have visited them all. Using the reservation system (reservation America) allows you to plug in your size so you can see what's available. Easy way to see which state parks you can fit into. Have seen many 40's in state parks along our way.
Encouraging news! I do love the online reservations with living area, length, hookups, etc. Eventually they will have a photo of the site, talked to a ranger who said they have already begun the process.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #22

Many states already have pictures of their sites. Makes picking spots easier if we have never been there. We also bike around the campgrounds and mark the sites we would like to use on our next visit (put in our travel diary). Nice tool to compile.
luvmydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #23

We went through the same thing as we also camp in Tennessee state parks. We had a 31' class C and went up to a 36' Winnebago. It was 11.5 ft tall, but the main problem was the length. With a long wheelbase and 19.5 tires we actually dragged the rear end on some mountain switchbacks. We now have gone to a Georgetown 337 and love it. Large tires, short wheelbase, king bed, super slide. It maneuvers like a ups truck. But it is 12' tall. Most manufacturers are beginning to make a class A that is the size of a C, like the Vista, ACE, and others, Tiffin even has a 29' diesel pusher.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On your way to Utah, be sure to stop here in Colorado. All of our state park campgrounds can be reserved on line and help you pick out the site based on your rig size and needs. Even the mountain parks like Golden Gate handle the big rigs. But be careful, getting a site here in the state parks on the weekends is high near impossible unless you make reservations way in advance.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:35 AM   #25

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
On your way to Utah, be sure to stop here in Colorado. All of our state park campgrounds can be reserved on line and help you pick out the site based on your rig size and needs. Even the mountain parks like Golden Gate handle the big rigs. But be careful, getting a site here in the state parks on the weekends is high near impossible unless you make reservations way in advance.
That's awesome, we haven't been there in about 10 years but spent a June in the Rockies-complete with an awesome snowstorm of about a foot which for us in TN was a treat! We will definitely return at some point.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #26

Hello

I'm a first time RV motorhome owner, picked it up for a decent price but it needs a generator and I have no clue what to purchase for this 1981 Fleetwood Jamboree 19'
Old 03-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
4kw gen. Onan is one choice.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
4kw gen. Onan is one choice.
so since the manual says 115 volts, the 4000 watt Onan is a possibility?