Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #1

The law in Ontario says I have to have a Class "D" license to drive my coach as it's more than 2400lbs. The Class "D" is basically a truck classification and part of the MTO Test is a "Walk around" based on trucks. Has anyone taken this test for a motorhome in Ontario and if you did, what did you do for the "Walk Around" ? (I've already completed the Air Brake course

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #2

The law in Ontario says I have to have a Class "D" license to drive my coach as it's more than 2400lbs. The Class "D" is basically a truck classification and part of the MTO Test is a "Walk around" based on trucks. Has anyone taken this test for a motorhome in Ontario and if you did, what did you do for the "Walk Around" ? (I've already completed the Air Brake course

Old 11-17-2008, 02:17 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Who told you that you need a Class D?

All you need is the air brake Z.

The 24,000 applies to commercial vehciles.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:00 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stevegeorgetown:
Who told you that you need a Class D?

All you need is the air brake Z.

The 24,000 applies to commercial vehciles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, that is not correct and the OP is right. Ontario residents need a Class D license to operate a motorhome that weighs more than 11,000kg (24,250 lbs) (important to note that a trailer/toad is included in that weight (e.g. 21000lb rv + 4000lb car =&gt; class D license)). If you are towing anything that weighs more than 4600kg (10,141 lbs) then you need a class A license (Ontario does not distinguish between 'commercial and not'). You also need a air brake endorsement (Z) to operate a vehicle with air brakes.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pubs/rv/part2a.shtml
Old 11-19-2008, 09:30 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
A Class D motor vehicle shall be deemed to be a Class G motor vehicle if,

"the fee paid for the vehicle permit was determined under Schedule 2 to Regulation 628 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990. O. Reg. 340/94, s. 2 (3)."

I dont know if the above paragraph petains to your situation.

I may be wrong but I base my comments on my Fathers experience. He was told by the ministry of transportation that he did not require a Class D although his motorhome exceeds the prescribed weight.

Couldnt hurt to call and ask......

However to answer your question about the walk around part of the test.

It should be no different then a truck in the sense that you exit the motorhome after demonstrating that the lights, signals, air guages ect are working and

If you have a drivers door and exit this way, stand facing the motorhome and check everything in sight from top to bottom including windows ( cracks) tires ( lugs are tight no slip marks near the lugs ) tire treads are good no cracks then move to the front and stand facing the motorhome. From the top clearance lights windshield, wipers, headlights bumper ect.... Just descibed everything you see..... go around the motorhome checking anything that is safety related.... look underneath and tell him that your exhaust looks good and has no visible problems, frame looks good, nothing lose or hanging down ect...
Old 11-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ok forget my pasted quote because it pertains to farm equipment.

I called my father and asked him specifically how it went with the licence requirements.

He said that he took his motorhome down to the ministry because like you he was told that he needed a class D licence.

The instructor told him no you do not need a class D for any motorhome of any weight. My father then asked since he was already there why not just let him do the test anyways.

The instructor said that he could not do the the test for Class D with a motorhome which is not a class D vehcile. He said that if it had more then 7 seatbelts he could take the test as then it would qualify for a bus.

Make some calls and get second opinions before wasting your time with a test. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:30 AM   #7

I was just at the MTO Licensing office in London to book my "D" Driving Test and confirmed as per michelb's reply that a "D' Class license is required for a vehicle - and a motorhome is specifically listed - weighing more than 24,250lbs. Check out the site that michelb referenced.

In addition, what most people don't realise that someone with a 20,000lb m'home with a 4,500lb toad (20,000 + 4,500 = 24,500lbs) also needs a "D" Class license.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:33 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Chonburiman

I just got off the phone with the MTO. They say that you do not need class D. The guy said that motorhomes are in a different classification

I called 416 246 7166 ex 6306
Old 11-19-2008, 10:40 AM   #9

Yes You 'DO' need a Class D if Coach or Coach and towed vehicle/trailer is over 24000lbs!!!

This is New Legislation in 2008.

Rick
Old 11-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #10

Class of driver's licence required to drive
A motor home only:
Class "G" if the motor home weighs 11,000 kgs (24,250 lbs) or less, or
Class "D" if the motor home weighs more than 11,000 kgs.
A motor home towing a trailer and/or a motor vehicle:
Class "G" if the combination weighs 11,000 kgs (24,250 lbs) or less,
Class "D" if the combination weighs more than 11,000 kgs, or
Class "A" if the weight of the towed vehicle or the combined weight of the towed vehicles exceeds 4,600 kgs (10,141 lbs).

This is from MTO website.

Rick