Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2015, 08:53 PM   #1

Class A with toad and bike rack

I flat tow a Honda CR-V, and I'm struggling to come up with a bike rack system to carry 3 bikes. my toad does not have a hitch and I'd rather not put one in it...is there something out there I haven't stumbled upon that I can use in conjunction with the motorhome hitch...and still tow the toad??
OktsCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 09:20 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We bought a bike rack at REI that attaches to the spare tire on our jeep. It will hold 4 bikes, but we usually only carry 2. We were stopped by a State Patrol once, and we were informed you must keep the rear lights on the jeep clear. That takes a bit of work, but we have not been stopped since. Did not get a ticket, just a warning.

Along with the cording that is attached to the bike rack, I also use a long, thick cable to attach the bikes to the rack, and to the spare tire. I loop the cable around the metal bracket that secures the spare tire to the jeep, too. Then I put a monster lock on the cable. I hate that the bikes are way in the back of my parade, but not sure how else to do it, either.

BTW, to keep the rear lights on the jeep as clear as possible, I remove the front wheels and face the bikes in opposite directions. I also remove the seats, but that is to keep the bike thieves as uncomfortable as possible, should they ever decide to attempt to take the bikes. How hard would it be to catch a thief on a bike with no seat, and no front wheel, eh?

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:07 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I believe they make a bike rack that attaches to the MH reciever and has a reciever for the toad drawbar.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Class with toad and bike rack

Options

- Double receiver adapter
- Bike carrier that attaches around / on top of the receiver
- Have an additional receiver tube welded above the existing receiver (could be the smaller 1" if your bike rack is this size)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I believe they make a bike rack that attaches to the MH reciever and has a reciever for the toad drawbar.
Hello, Gordon.

Something like this?

MaxxTow Dual Hitch Extender for 2" Trailer Hitches - 12" Long MaxxTow Hitch Accessories MT70070

My concern with these is that they typically reduce the hitch weight capacity by as much as 50%. I would also like to hear from those that use them.

Bruce
Old 03-30-2015, 03:58 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to TXwannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by OktsCamp View Post
I flat tow a Honda CR-V, and I'm struggling to come up with a bike rack system to carry 3 bikes. my toad does not have a hitch and I'd rather not put one in it...is there something out there I haven't stumbled upon that I can use in conjunction with the motorhome hitch...and still tow the toad??
x2. I have a 2012 CR-V, am very interested in the same thing for 2 bikes. Have searched e-trailer and thought a trunk/hatch type rack might be the answer, but toad has a feature that automatically turns on rear wiper when main wipers are on and car is put in reverse. The support arms for these type racks are on the rear glass and either wiper or rack would likely be damaged when wiper started moving. Therefore, e-trailer doesnt recommend any for this model car. I'd prefer not to start disconnecting features on DW's car, so maybe some sort of rack that would mount on the MH receiver, if such a thing exists?
TXwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:50 AM   #7

off-the-shelf at walmart:
Allen 4 bike rack and
Reese dual hitch extension
previous thread reply:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/blue-...ml#post2486070
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	90018  
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:14 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I visited PENDER,NE Blue-Ox custom made a drop hitch adapter 4 me (I need a 4" drop)

They welded on a tong for a ball and the Bicycle carrier bolts to that.

They make a bicycle carrier that slips over the adapter's 2" Square shaft

Before Blue Ox made my custom drop I had a drop adapter that was the wrong size.. It had a 2nd receiver welded to it by a weld shop..This on took the smaller size adapter...and the bicycle rack bolted to it.

They make a special dual-receiver adapter as well.
An example of such a device:
Dual Hitch 2" Rise Drop Receiver Extension Extender Adapter RV Towing 4000lbs | eBay

Blue ox also sells a "Hitch Immobilizer" that locks the adapter into the reciver so it can not rattle and shake around. I suggest at last 2 of them if you use an adapter like this

On on adapter to MH receiver and on on the Bicycle carrier's adapter.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:51 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Heininger V-Rack

I'm looking for a solution for this problem as well. I like the idea of the "double receiver ... but from the looks of it, adaptors that others have posted in this thread have a 4,000 lb towing capacity. My toad is 4,200 by itself - which would put it a little too close to comfort for my liking.

I'm thinking about going with one of these ....

Advantage SportsRack V-Rackâ„¢ | Heininger Holdings, LLC

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there's a larger version of the the "V-Rack" that would accommodate more than 2 bikes - which means it likely won't meet the OP's needs.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
off-the-shelf at walmart:
Allen 4 bike rack and
Reese dual hitch extension
previous thread reply:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/blue-...ml#post2486070

this looks like the one... thanks
Old 03-30-2015, 08:16 AM   #11

I actually found a roadmaster one with a 10,000lb capacity, 400lb tongue weight, and a 2" drop. I think this is the biggest capacity I have been able to find.

http://roadmasterinc.com/products/ac...itch/dual.html
Old 03-30-2015, 08:43 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OktsCamp View Post
I actually found a roadmaster one with a 10,000lb capacity, 400lb tongue weight, and a 2" drop. I think this is the biggest capacity I have been able to find.

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
Great find, I have been looking since last night. If you get it, please let us know how it works out for you.

Thanks,

Bruce
Old 03-30-2015, 10:14 AM   #13

will do Bruce. ordering today. up here in Canada its a bit pricier than the others that have the 3500-4000lb capacity. I can get one of them for around $60....this one is $140. but...what's a guy to do hey. whoever said rving was cheap was full of BS
Old 03-30-2015, 05:19 PM   #14

I have a Swagman 64664XC RV 2 bike rack. This mounts on the receiver bar for my Blue Ox tow bar, is not a receiver extension so does not affect tow capacity. Check Swagman website as they may have a 3 bike system also. I also have a receiver on my CRV and a Thule rack on it for hauling the bikes to trailheads where the rv can't go. For long travel, I like to have the bikes on the rv, not the toad. Good luck.

Tags
toad, class a