Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Clean / Replace Trimark Compartment Latch

My compartment spring latches sometimes stick in the retracted (open) position.when I open them. It gets worse in cold weather. I'm pretty sure it's from grime that was built up on the lubrication the original owner did in the name of maintenance.

I thought about removing the mechanism for cleaning or replacing. I removed four screws from a cover on the interior part of the door, but the latch didn't yield to my gentle persuasion. I'm worried that if I apply more pressure I could pull off paint, or that I'm not doing the right things to remove the latch assembly.

Anyone know how to remove these? Can I clean and apply a dry lube to them, or should I just replace the mechanisms? Here's a picture of one of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compartment latch edited.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	267044  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2019, 12:26 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
For fear of damaging the paint, I would clean them in place. Secure a rag under them on the back of the door and liberally spray them with some cleaner. Keep in mind some cleaner may bleed through to the front and onto the paint, so have a rag in place on the outside too. Spray it and work it several times and then use silicone to lube the mechanism.

For the cleaner, I would WD40, spraying it thoroughly, blow dry with compressed air and lube.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #3

On mine, the latch comes right off after removing the 4 screws. Each time I have had the same problem you are having, it was a loose screw holding a pivot lever in the mechanism. I tightened the screw and gave it a shot of spray lube and it worked again like new.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:57 PM   #4

Probably just the gasket on the outside sticking should push off with a little effort.
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:49 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here is a great lock lube

https://amazon.com/HOUD1-Houdini-Loc...s%2C264&sr=8-2
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace