Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2015, 09:25 PM   #1

Cleaning and waxing roof

I have a 2007 Monaco Signature and am getting white streaks down the side of the coach when it rains. I want to thoroughly clean and wax my fiberglass roof. Would like some feedback as to what products to use.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Patton View Post
I have a 2007 Monaco Signature and am getting white streaks down the side of the coach when it rains. I want to thoroughly clean and wax my fiberglass roof. Would like some feedback as to what products to use.
Doug,
You'll probably get a myriad of answers here. I've done exactly what you're talking and thinking about. It's not easy. But, nothing ever is if you want it to turn out RIGHT! Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT also has the full fiberglass roof. When we first purchased it, the roof had never had any maintenance done on it and, it was in fairly sad shape. Not only that but, the "gumballs" that installed the Kingdome Satellite system got Silcone all over the place up there in blotches.

I had to literally scrape that stuff off with a sharp, stiff paint scraper. Then, the coach roof was washed thoroughly with good soap and water and, a bit of cleanser here and there for some stubborn spots. Then, out came the power buffer. No, it's not the kind that's random orbital. This one is a professional one for rubbing out paint jobs.

I used some 3M rubbing compound along with a wool pad. IT took me about 2 days 'cause I was taking a few breaks now and then. But, when done, all that work was worth every drop of effort. That roof was outstandingly clean and shiny. It didn't even look that good when it left the factory. (I know 'cause I visited the factory and took the tour).

But, when it was done, I used Kit Auto wax on it. Any wax will do the trick for you. None of them will last. It's the nature of the game. But, it will sustain a good finish for quite some time though, around 2 years or so, depending on how much the coach sees the sun. But, take a look at the pics and see what you think.
Scott

P.S. Sorry, Photobucket is dead for the evening. Can't get the roof pics I wanted to show you.

Ha, found them in other file:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0549.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	111579   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0552.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	111580  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0553.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	111581   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0558.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	111582  

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:59 PM   #3

I had streeks and when I wiped my hand on the dry roof I got white powder on my hand. I cleaned the roof with scrubbing bubbles bath cleaner using a floor scrubbing mop and water then applied 4 light coats of ZEP floor polish. Very light coats like maybe 1/2 cup for 40ft of roof. It dried by the time I got to end then just went back for another coat. With each coat I could see spots were getting shiny and spots were still dull like it was soaking up the stuff. Last coat left the entire roof shinny. Been about 4 months and it still looks just like it did when applied. I get no streaks. Took about an hour to clean and about 45 minutes to apply polish.
Do a search on ZEP and will find lots of folks using it. I used a flat mop to apply so all work was on my feet and not knees. In hindsight I should have put on a couple more coats .
Old 11-10-2015, 06:57 AM   #4

The first coat of wax on the roof I put down ICE paste wax. Seems like it took forever and wasn't a fun job. Now, I use Optimum spray on wax--- easy on/off and looks good. Plus side, it's easy enough to do more often.
Optimum Spray Wax
Old 11-10-2015, 07:01 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wash it well, then put on about 4 coats of Zep High Traffic Floor Finish from Lowes. Will look great and last a year.

Zepped the roof!
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:50 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Long before i ever read anything about ZEP, I cleaned and wax everything with 3m rubbing compound and a big pro buffer. It looked great. about the next year I realized it needed more waxing. the third year it experimented with patches of mobnglow and pledge clear floor wax. The Mopnglow failed the test after just 8 months but the pledge was still in good condition. So after that I did the entire MH with Pledge CLEAR.

then i read about ZEP on this site. I got it and did the MH. After 8 month it was just like the mopnglow. washed out and poor and no amount of anything would restore it. So I got the ZEP remover, three gallons and spent a good deal of time removing all the previous coats of ZEP. I WILL NOW GO BACK TO PLEDGE CLEAR FLOOR CARE.

it comes out of the bottle clear and does not deteriorate like the milky colors waxes.
I think by now I have spent an aggregate of well over 2 months working on getting a better finish. there is no end.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:32 AM   #7

When I got my '97 Aerbus, the Fiberglas roof had been neglected and tons of white streaking. I scrubbed the roof with water and oxy clean, about 4 times using a stiff brush. Then I power washed the roof using a medium nozzle about 2 times. Between both of those cleanings, it was sparkling white. I then applied 5 coats of the ZEP high traffic floor polish with a short napped paint roller and extension. It looked great and haven't had any white stress for almost a year. I'll revisit it in the spring but so far, I a very pleased.
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
As a result of parking under trees, I'm on the roof a lot. Is Zep slippery?
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:38 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
As a result of parking under trees, I'm on the roof a lot. Is Zep slippery?

any wet and shinny service is slippery. always use caution and only do short steps keeping your weight centered over your feet
Old 11-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #10

I spent weeks off and on cleaning the Zep or some form of it off my fiberglass roof. Then applied some 303 for the short term. Planning on putting wax on in the spring. After dealing with the mess of removal I will not be putting any floor coating on again.
Does not take much time to wax and it looks close to new. Never had any issues with streaking on my sides after removal of the failed floor covering.

Steve
Old 11-11-2015, 07:55 AM   #11

I used a marine wax/cleaner with PTFE from West Marine. Plan to use this since it has a lot of UV protection in it.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:07 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I was using a floor wax on mine after the surface began to chalk, but soon got tired of periodic re-waxing. The permanent solution is to clean it well and re-paint the roof. I used the Dicor Fiberglass Roof Coat on mine 3 years ago and it is still white, shiny and non-chalking.

Fiberglass RV Roof Coating | Dicor Products | Official Website

I did not use the Dicor prep product or sand the roof surface. Cleaned it thoroughly and applied a "liquid sandpaper" to improve adhesion, then two coats of the Dicor product. Only took about 5 hours from start to finish, including the washing.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:42 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some folks also speak highly of Bus Kote for the roof.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I am a big fan of the Meguiars products and had been using one of them on our fiberglass roof. This last Spring I changed over to Zep, however (peer pressure from this forum, basically). I have to say that applying the Meguiars was a lot more work than the Zep. And I think that the Zep looks better. I used six coats. So far -- no white streaks. \ken

Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof