Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #1

cleaning product for shower and faucets

Faucets in bathroom have green crust, and shower keeps getting orange mold, what are best products to use on these.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #2

For the mold, spray some bleach on the shower. It will kill the mold.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We routinely spray our shower stall down with a vinegar and water solution after we've taken our showers on top of cleaning it weekly. The green crust on your faucets is probably from mineral deposits. The best way to combat that would be with a filter and water softener system.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #4

I do this at home... and plan on doing it to the trailer when I get to that point.

Clean your shower with bleach spray (please wear a mask)... scrub it to very clean and rinse well. Then get some automotive glazing finish like Meguiars Mirror Glaze #6 Cleaner/Wax

Follow the instructions but avoid the floor for safety reasons. (unless you use a shower mat.

If you are concerned about how this might affect your shower or tub, test in a small inconspicuous area first.

The idea is to put a protective coating on the surface that will repel moisture, gunk and soap scum. I do this one my kitchen appliances and sinks occasionally too.

As for your Green stuff. I suspect is is more than minerals in the water. I think your finish has been compromised and the Green stuff is oxidation of the underlying metal (brass). I would remove the faucet, and take the faucet apart. clean the area well, then spray it with a few coats of clear spray paint. While you are at it, it couldn't hurt to replace any guts so the faucet works like new. OR.... just replace the entire faucet.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #5

Green is the new orange?

What green?
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Get Clorox Bleach toilet bow cleaner. It comes in a quart squeeze bottle. It's a little thicker than their regular bleach. Let it sit around the faucet for a few minutes then use an old tooth brush and scrub the green away. Regular maintenance and the green will not come back. Use this also for the shower stall, glass, floor etc. This stuff really works. Now, instead of having to do this hassle with cleaning your shower all the time we found a trick that really works. We got a plastic shower curtain and drape it over the glass doors on the inside of the shower. To open the door you simply fold the curtain over the door to get in and pull it back after shutting the door. The plastic curtain completely covers the glass enclosure. After your shower you pull back from the door and exit then pulling the curtain back over the entire door again so it can dry evenly. Since doing this our shower doors have stayed in crystal condition. Once a month we douse the floor with the Clorox and then wash it drown the drain. The shower curtain did not take away from the decor of the bathroom because you can't even tell it's there. Instead of a clear glass shower stall....now it's a fogged glass shower stall. I love my showers and it's always been a bummer when their over I know I have to use a squeegee to clean the glass.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #7

We had the Vagabondwater whole house RO system in your 2006 rig. I loved it for the fresh tasting water. When we traded for the 2008 rig, wife said- "Call Frank (who owned Vagwater at the time) and order a new RO system for the new coach." She loved it for the squeaky clean rinse water for shower, dishes, etc. I use RO water from the tank to wash the coach which comes out spot free w/out drying. Shower & fixtures are like new.
Just a thought.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #8

CLR
Old 04-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gel gloss in bathroom and kitchen. We wipe the shower dry each time we use it, stays clean no mold or deposits
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Once you get the shower cleaned, be sure to use the vent fan frequently to help remove excess moisture from the bath area. CHBOONE's recommendation to wipe the shower down after use is a good one.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrock
Asked RV Detailer what he uses and he said Tilex w/Bleach; he uses it on TPO Rubber Roofs as well as bathroom shower etc. Went and got a couple of bottles and was amazed how well it works. Be careful to have old clothes on because the bleach once it gets on clothes it is all over. Used it to clean our shower looks like new.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #12

Tilex or other bleach products used regularly will etch gelcoat & flexible roofing a little at a time. It does the same thing at a microscopic level to hard surfaces as it does to clothes (i.e. bleaches them). On soft surfaces it is more aggressive as can be seen on a t-shirt in just a few minutes.

The RV dealer is minimizing his labor for sure, but he's also eroding the surfaces he cleans. Since he doesn't plan on owning the rig very long, probably no more than one deep cleaning all around, no big deal to him. IIWMI'd avoid bleach unless I already have a stain problem, and I wouldn't use bleach except to kill the stain first time only. I'd never use it on rubber or TPO roof, you can't afford any more erosion of the surface than mother nature is going to impart.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrock
Thanks for the analysis Mike
Old 04-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
CLR works well ..dilute bleach spray or one of the commercial bathroom/restroom cleaners ..

Tags
shower