Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2019, 03:29 PM   #1

Cleaning the black tank Class A

We purchased the new 2018 Wini Intent 30'. All is crazy wrong and has been in the warranty shop for 9 months. Anyways, This is our second RV and we are noticing they don't build them like they use to. My last one was a 94 fleet Bounder 35'. On the old one we had a close by window to feed the hose into and power wash the black tank through the toilet. This new Intent is different and closest window is opposite side of the dump station and a small window in the bedroom. My idea is to place a hose bib on the bathroom wall so I can connect the hose to the outside nipple and then on the inside of the bathroom side would be another nipple to connect another small hose to just power wash out the black tank. Has anybody done this before and if so what product or you may have a better idea or photos. But the idea is to cut a hole on the RV and insert a reversible hose connection so I no longer have to add another 50' of hose to go through a window.
US RV As-is is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2019, 03:43 PM   #2

This is what I use. No more dragging hoses through my MH.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/.../25952_89-8466

Lynn
Old 08-26-2019, 03:47 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Why? After you dump, add some purple power and fabric softener. Let it wash around as you drive. Never leave it Empty.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:02 PM   #4

We always dump the tanks 2 times when we head home and put the RV away for a while.... we dump the tank... and than charge it with 5 to 7 gallons of water.... and a cup of Oxyclean.... as we run it down the road it splashes around inside the tank.... when we get to the last dump station we dump it again... I'm amazed at how muddy the water looks as it runs out of the clear elbow... of course we flush it until it runs clear...

We again charge it the same way.... and head home... it sits that way until the next outing...

This has been our process for years... if we are parked and connected to a sewer drain we will run the tank sprayer for 15 to 20 minutes before we unhook... but nothing seems to clean like the process I have outlined above..
Old 08-27-2019, 03:31 AM   #5
RV LIFE Support Team

We dump an use the outside sprayer for the black tank until it runs clear, add 1 minute worth of water and that is it. Doesn't yours have an outside sprayer? You can get one installed.

I your rig has been in thshop 9 months I would be talking to Winnie. Make na appt. ang go to Forest City. Your dealer is reipping you off, nothing should be in the shop 9 months.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:39 AM   #6

US RV As-is-

I have used a Valterra Flush-King (link here) to flush the tanks. It mounts on the sewer outlet. It is a great unit. Don't accept substitutes; they don't work as well.

As someone suggested, you could also install a permanent tank washer system, such as the Camco Tornado (link here).

I gave up rinsing through the toilet when we bought a coach without a bathroom window. As you found, it's too inconvenient to drag a hose inside.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:49 AM   #7

Believe me, I know the whole drill on keeping my tanks clean. I am probably fussier than most.
The OP wants to fill his tanks through the toilet but I provided an alternative to dragging a hose through his RV or drilling a hole through the outside so he could hook up a hose to fill his tank.
I do use the clear fitting when draining my tank(s) so I can physically see if the water coming out is free of anything I don't want left in my tank. I do use the reverse flush feature when preparing my RV for winter storage. I want the tanks as clean as possible when stored except for the anti freeze I put into the tanks for long term storage.
Lynn
Old 08-27-2019, 06:45 AM   #8

Valterra makes two Hydroflush elbows:

45-degree: Part number F02-4100
90-degree: Part number F02-4110

The 45-degree (that Lynn recommends) is the same one used in the Flush-King. It is the "secret sauce" that made me write "accept no substitutes." I have tried a flush fitting offered by another manufacturer and found its flow rate much lower- almost useless. So, I agree with your recommendation, Lynn.

The Flush-King includes a gate valve, which changes the Hydroflush action from impingement to back-filling. Back-filling should be more effective than impingement in cases where the piping bends to get into the tank(s) to be flushed. You can add a twist-on valve (link here, Valterra part number T58) to any Hydroflush and make your own Flush-King. In fact, that would be the only way to get a 90-degree Flush-King-like arrangement.

One of the nice touches with the Valterra products is that they include a check valve for the flush hose. Such a valve is a must-have to protect the fresh water supply used for flushing.

By the way, I have since modified the "other manufacturer's" flush fitting for higher flow and installed it semi-permanently in the coach's wet bay. If Valterra ever makes a Hydroflush or Flush-King with a 5-inch straight section and the same high flow rate, I'll be first in line to buy it! I keep my original Flush-King for backup, now.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:03 AM   #9

I hope this isn't against the rules but I found this website (allprowaterflow) very helpful with tank problems.
Happy Camping
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:18 AM   #10

The reason I bought the 45 degree F02-4100 is when it's installed it points directly down and in alignment with the hose opening in the floor of my wet bay. In some applications the 90 degree might work better.
Lynn
Old 08-27-2019, 08:14 AM   #11

Spartan Chassis
When I was researching the purchase of our first RV 4 years ago I watched this video thinking I might need a black tank flush system. As it turned out the RV we bought has a built in top-rinse black tank flush so an added system wasn't necessary.

The video is very revealing. As an engineer, the conclusions drawn at the end seem reasonable to me, especially the one about a clear section of sewer hose giving a false indication of how clean the tank really is. Only a direct inspection of the tank, using a borescope for instance, can verify cleanliness.

FWIW, I don't use a borescope. Like everyone else I watch my clear hose section to decide when the tank is clean enough. In general, I fill my tank to about 70% using the flush connection (by careful and attentive timing and watching the level gauge) and then drain; I repeat this 3 times.

2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:55 AM   #12

It's a holding tank for [Mod Edit]. Why obsess over how clean it is? As long as you keep a little water in it and never do anything stupid like leave the dump valve open while on FHU you'll never have a problem.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:24 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
It's a holding tank for [Mod Edit]. Why obsess over how clean it is? As long as you keep a little water in it and never do anything stupid like leave the dump valve open while on FHU you'll never have a problem.
Exactly! It will be 'dirty' 10 minutes after you empty it. The problem most people have is they don't use enough water!
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:12 AM   #14

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
I also take regular showers, so I guess I have lots of obsessions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Exactly! It will be 'dirty' 10 minutes after you empty it. The problem most people have is they don't use enough water!
I’ll have to use that excuse the next time my wife wants me to clean the floor or wash the coach.

Opinions expressed as definitive fact aren’t helping the OP.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, class a, tank