Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2014, 08:08 PM   #1

clear coat

can anyone tell me how to correct a clear coat problem. it seems the clear coat is coming off where the wall meets the roof (the curved area). Is it strickly a body shop issue?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #2

As clear coat is sprayed on, going the body shop route is the best way. If you have the spray equip. then it could be done but you risk making it worse. IMO

Old 03-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman405 View Post
can anyone tell me how to correct a clear coat problem. it seems the clear coat is coming off where the wall meets the roof (the curved area). Is it strickly a body shop issue?
d repain

Hi All
I had several areas on my 97 Eagle that had clear coat peeling.. Had to sand and repaint it.. Did it myself looked good.. But I have done some painting in the past but not really a lot.. Modern materials are quite forgiving!
Ron Husak
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhusak View Post
d repain Hi All I had several areas on my 97 Eagle that had clear coat peeling.. Had to sand and repaint it.. Did it myself looked good.. But I have done some painting in the past but not really a lot.. Modern materials are quite forgiving! Ron Husak
I fixed mine as well. It is a moderately hard DIY project.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:55 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
NOTE: This information is for the average person, not someone who is a professional painter.

Once your clear coat has issues, you'll need to get it repainted. You can do spot repairs which will last about year or so, but will return. Monaco and many other brands are notorious for the clear coat blistering on the front or rear cap or down the edges of the roof.

My Monaco front cap went bad first and I masked off the roof just above the marker lights and repainted it with a one step automotive paint. My sides started to show tiny dots where it was starting to blister. I used a two part clear shaker can and sprayed the upper edges. All this work did was extend the inevitable.

Finally, I took it to a body shop and had the entire roof line repainted. The cost was $3000.00. I know of four other coaches that had to do the same thing. A couple of them used professionals that did the work at their house as a side job.

Anyone can repaint a coach with quality sprayers or a rattle can, but unless you're a professional, it will look like you did it yourself. Some are fine with that. I probably wouldn't spend the money any coach that you couldn't recover the value of the repair.

So the answer is.....you can do temporary fixes, but it will eventually need to be repainted properly.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #6
paz

gasman 405,

Sand, repaint and re-clear is the only way to fix the problem right.

Depending on what year your coach is, the paint is likely to be catalyzed urethane rather than lacquer. There are companies that will match your color (if they can get the formula from the company that provided paint to the RV manufacturer) and put it into a rattle can, but it will be acrylic lacquer, not catalyzed urethane.

You can patch areas that are not real visible yourself. I have done it high up on the top surfaces of the rear cap. However, if the area is highly visible, unless you are experienced and have access to a good compressor and spray gun, the repair is best left to the pros. Color match and surface gloss will matter a lot if the area is visible. I had the top of the front cap repainted several years ago by an RV body shop. The cost was $700.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:02 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You could probably can handle it yourself but as I've found it doesn't last that long. I have the same issue and will be visiting a shop in Indiana sometime in May to get ours addressed.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #8

I did it myself and I guess I will call myself a pro then. :-). Had to sand repair and repaint the entire top "radius". This is labor not rocket science if you have an air compressor. Having to buy paint in a rattle can is your first clue you need to rethink your strategy.

I was able to sand down the failed clear, get matching PPG paint, mask side of coach and spray in my driveway. No big deal, it's all 12 feet up. :-). I then bought a highly durable clear from KBS called diamond clear and sprayed that over paint. It will last and looks great.

This all took a couple of weekends and about $500 in materials.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:29 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
If the clear coat is applied over gel coat, you have a good chance of successfully applying new clear coat after removing the old clear coat.

I have also removed the peeling clear coat over base coat paint and re-applied the base coat urethane automotive paint and then topped with three coats of two part clear coat.

All done in my suburban driveway.

The big complication comes with the effort of blending the new edges with the old paint and knowing if the new paint will stick for multiple years. I have some repairs fail after one year. Other repairs are well into the third year.

The color matched automotive paint runs about $7 an ounce and the rattle can clear coat about $23 per can.

I have applied the urethane base coat paint using a Preval Sprayer instead of a compressor driven gun.

Preval 9 oz. Complete Spray Gun-267 at The Home Depot

Spray Max 2k High Gloss Clearcoat aerosol

I redid my front bumper for about $120 vs a quote of $1700 from a mobile guy.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #10

I guess it all depends on how picky you are about your coach. If you've never painted before this is not a repair I'd try myself unless you are ok with it looking like you did it yourself. painting is a skilled task and to make it look like it was done by someone who knew what they were doing you need to take it to someone who does. I've seen many a paint job that people were very proud of because they did it themselves and I would be embarrassed to have that same job on anything I owned...
Old 03-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I have to agree with several of the above post, I am not a professional body man. But I am a hobbyist who has painted several cars, bikes, & motor home panels. There is much more to it than what you read on these posts. Getting a good job takes some know how of what you are doing , getting a great job takes a lot of practice, patience, & skill. You could spend several hundred dollars on supplies & equipment to get a job that needs redone. With this said if you know what you are doing & have prepped properly the paints of today are very forgiving & can be worked after the spray to look great.

My latest paint job 76 MGB, It is actually red not orange.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12-09-09_1807.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	379.2 KB
ID:	59470  

dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote