Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Clear Coat Cracks

I was on the MH roof the other day and noticed that there are some small splits and cracks in the clear coat. They are on the edge of the roof, just before it gets to the wall/side.

Since they are on the roof edge, I don't think that any fix will be able to be seen from the ground. Any suggestions as to how to seal them would be appreciated.

2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
This is a common problem that cuts across many if not most manufacturers. My coach is 11 years old and this issue started appearing a couple of years ago. The only fix that will last is buffing down into the base coat and re painting & re clear coat. I just finished with this repair.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
Me too. My clear on the radius was bubbling and failing. Not really visible from ground. In trying to remove the failing clear realized I was going to have to repaint as well. I also had some hairline cracks in the fiberglass. I sanded enough to remove failed clear, used marine text to fill the fiberglass cracks, sanded again. I then masked side of coach with plastic with tape already attached. Primed and painted with matching paint. I then used KBS diamond coat clear. This sounds like a lot of work and although it is, honestly just took a few days. The finished product does not have to be perfect so there is not that much stress. I used automotive spray guns I already had. I found on that top radius the paint and clear was thin.

Hope this helps
American Revolution 40L CAT C9
Samsung 197, TireMinder, Ready Brute Elite with Wrangler
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If not bad just use some 600 grit paper with water to smooth things out and use a good automotive rattle can clear to recoat. Mine has lasted two years with no issues.
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
BTW, if like mine, do not assume cracks are only in clear. I had surface cracks in the fiberglass. Give one of them a light sanding as suggested below and determine how deep cracks are. Like I said above, I used Marine-Tex to repair these hairline cracks.

American Revolution 40L CAT C9
Samsung 197, TireMinder, Ready Brute Elite with Wrangler
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote