RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2019, 02:04 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Clear Coat Going, Going, Gone

The clear coat on the 'nose' of our 2003 American Coach Eagle is peeling and 'crackled.' Does anyone know of a DIY remedy or cure short of a Body Shop level expense and commitment? Thank You.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nomad 1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	234384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nomad 2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	234385  

Captain KC42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain KC42 View Post
The clear coat on the 'nose' of our 2003 American Coach Eagle is peeling and 'crackled.' Does anyone know of a DIY remedy or cure short of a Body Shop level expense and commitment? Thank You.
Looks like you should watch this Video -

There are a number to watch but it boils down to waiting for a warm day - having it face the sun - then working it off - You can use there "Stuff" or try this - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - cheaper alternative from Amazon - still will take time and Patience.

Another good video -

Best of Luck,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:35 PM   #3

If it were me, I think I would try to power wash it off then us zep floor wax about four coats. I know that's not the correct way but it's cheap and I think it would work. Good luck.
Goldwinging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:00 PM   #4

The first picture looks like failing clear coat (paint) and the second looks like failed Diamond Shield (plastic film).
Old 02-07-2019, 03:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Well Sir,
You're most certainly not alone in this dilemma. There's a number of reasons this happens but, the fact is, it is happening and, what maybe is a solution. This is NOT THE 3M protective film so, any repairs/remedies for it, don't apply here. Unfortunately there's not much you can do here other than the correct way of repair. It's a fair amount of time and labor but, it must be prepared correctly so that more clear can be applied. And, in some cases, you might have to re-paint the area too, depending on how things look when you get down to it and do the work.
If you apply any form of topical solution, like ZEP, all that will do it make it harder to prep it because, it's gonna keep happening, especially if you don't stop the progression of it now. Good luck. ZEP and any other floor polish is for faded Gel coats, not for PEELING clear coats.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:24 PM   #6

Quote:

First picture is clear cost must be sanded and reclearcoated, if you donít do the whole thing the part that you didnít will peel eventually. Second picture probably diamond shield must be removed, I have that problem and dreading it.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
First picture is clear cost must be sanded and reclearcoated, if you donít do the whole thing the part that you didnít will peel eventually. Second picture probably diamond shield must be removed, I have that problem and dreading it.

True ... looks like 2 different problems. Diamond Shield is a film applied over paint .... typically the nose below the windshield and extends from door to similar point on driver side. Area above windshield is failing clear-coat.

The clear-coat can usually be repaired with 2K Clear in spray (shaker) cans. This clearcoat is a 2 part mix in a single can that gets activated (see youtube videos). Surface will need prep and don't sand thru the underlying color-coat. You'll probably need 2 cans for area above windshield.

https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Chemical-.../dp/B0043B7UQY
Old 02-07-2019, 05:25 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you all for your responses. All very helpful in understanding the scope of the problem and course setting a next steps.
Captain KC42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:44 AM   #9

I had that problem on a car I sprayed about 10 years ago. There is (was?) a time window in which you had to spray the clearcoat over the base otherwise you got poor adhesion. Not saying that is the problem, but on a large vehicle with only one or two guys spraying it could easily happen.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:08 PM   #10

Rick is right. I have not had much luck re-clearing a two stage paint job, without removing the base and reshooting the entire system. Even then it is a crap shoot. I don't do this anymore, but I changed back over to single stage urethane paint for looks and durability.