Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Clear coat on coach

Have noticed that the top edges of my 2007 Holiday Rambler 40' the clear coat is bubbling and peeling off. Is it a large job to fix and does anyone have a place in mind to do this? I live near Edmonton, AB but winter in Casa Grande.

starvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
Country Coach Owners Club
I do it myself in my driveway with rattle can of two part clear coat paint.

Remove the bad clear with razor blade. Clean underlying paint or gelcoat. Mask and spray. Then do a progressive wet sand and rotary buff.

You may have to vigorously sand the edge build up where the masking meets the new paint to remove the ridge. Roll the front edge of the masking tape under to allow the new spray paint to somewhat fade out to minimize ridges.

I originally had a truck painter reclear the brow area above the windshield to the air horns. That was $1,000 in 2003. He removed the peeling clear, painted the underlying gelcoat to match, and sprayed clearcoat.

That area is still in good condition today.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
Ours did the same thing on top of the front cap. Manufacturers sometimes don't get a heavy enough covering of clear coat way up near the top of the coaches.

I scraped old clear coat and sprayed new clear coat myself and kept it looking OK for about 18 months - the peeling was high enough up the radius it was out of sight.

The peeling kept working its way down the radius. Once the peeling got down far enough it could be seen from the ground, I broke down and had a body shop sand, repaint and apply new clear coat to the top of the front cap. It cost $700.
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
This is a REALLY common problem on Monaco coaches. There are a couple ways of repairing them. Mine did the same as some mentioned. The clear coat peeled on the front cap, but above the curve of the body. I masked off the body right at the curve of the nose, sanded the bad area and resprayed with an all-in-one automotive paint that I had matched at a paint store. I figure I'll get about 2-3 years out of it beforeit needs to be repaired.

Two friends had it professionally repaired. One payed $5,000.00 to have the front cap and both sides sprayed. (Way too much). Another friend had a local RV repairman spray his front cap and both sides for $1200.00. It came out nice with a good paint match. Shop prices!
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
I was a body man/painter for 23 years before I switched to insurance claims. My suggestion is to have a professional automotive body man/painter make the repairs. Not something you should try yourself. I would definately shop around. I would try a truck body shop.

Hope this helps....
Wendell & Bev
Des Moines, Ia
2007 Alfa 40'
adamson is offline   Reply With Quote