Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Clear Coat Problems

Has anyone had experience with the clear coat.

I have a few spots that are starting to get cloudy.

Thanks

John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I had the clear coat start to peel in several places on the 05' Safari that we used to have. It wasn't getting cloudy but bubbling and peeling. I took a razor blade and carefully removed all of the loose material and then took 600 grit sand paper and sanded it all smooth. Then took rattle can clear coat, masked it all off, and sprayed it all again. In the dark color it really looked good. In the lighter colors it looked ALOT better but was still noticeable. An easy and cheap way to clean it up and make it look a lot better. Mine was on both sides in the same area, down low, in front of the front wheel. Just my experience.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pacello View Post
Has anyone had experience with the clear coat.

I have a few spots that are starting to get cloudy.

Thanks

John
It's a fairly common problem with RVs. It is caused by the original clear coat not being applied heavily enough or wet enough. It happens a lot on the upper surfaces where they apparently can't reach as well with the spray gun and where sun exposure is greatest.

We had peeling clear coat on the roof section over the windshield after only about 4 years. We had that professionally repainted because it was easily seen from the ground. The curved sections along the sides of the roof peeled next (I was able to get paint matched at NAPA and repaint those areas myself), and now the top of the roof in the rear is getting spots that are peeling. I am touching up the spots in the back as they occur with paint left over from repainting the sides of the roof, but someday, that whole area will have to be repainted as well.

If the area isn't too visible, you can touch it up yourself by sanding off the old clear coat and using a rattle can to touch it up; but if the clear coat is thin (which is what causes it to peel in the first place), the color is also likely to be thin and will be easy to sand through so be very careful.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:01 AM   #4

Like Paz, we have some on the top of front and rear caps. Its happens alot.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #5

Not much you can do to prevent it either. I had a Fleetwood Revolution and the front top cap got pretty bad. I had that section repainted and it looked so good that that motor home sold in one day. I am convinced that that $2,000 was well spent.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #6

My winne Journey started to peel at about 2 years on front and side caps. Then the rear cap and spots on pass. side at about 6 years. I have seen a lot of winne. with the same peeling. Not happy with the crap paint jobs I see on these high end paint jobs. I have had a lot of what I call normal stuff that go's bad, after all the rig is now 8 years old and I still love it but the paint is BS. I was lucky I had a bus/motorhome paint shop 30 min. from my home who did a great job repairing the bad spots.

Don
Old 10-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstinch View Post
My winne Journey started to peel at about 2 years on front and side caps. Then the rear cap and spots on pass. side at about 6 years. I have seen a lot of winne. with the same peeling. Not happy with the crap paint jobs I see on these high end paint jobs. I have had a lot of what I call normal stuff that go's bad, after all the rig is now 8 years old and I still love it but the paint is BS. I was lucky I had a bus/motorhome paint shop 30 min. from my home who did a great job repairing the bad spots.

Don
Don, do you remember what they did?

Did they do a complete repaint and clear coat, or just repair the clear coat?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #8

John, They did a complete paint and clear coat in the problem areas. I gave them the 4 paint codes to match paint.

Don