Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
BACKDRAFT161
Maybe most overpasses read 13'6"...in Florida!

IMO it's a not a good idea to state that most overpasses read 13'6", on a forum read by RV owners nationwide......(no telling how many air conditioner losses might result because of that statement)!
:-(

My advice is:
1.) Measure, (and remember), the height of your rig.
2.) READ and BELIEVE whatever a sign says.
3.) DEDUCT 6''
If your rig is taller than that....
4.) TURN IT AROUND!

I'd much rather be a "chicken who turned around" than the "fool who destroyed his rig".
:-)

Mel
'96 Safari,
12' 2" tall to the top of the KingDome, (in every state)!

I measured our MH to the top of the highest protrusion, made a label with DW's labelmaker for an additional 6", and stuck it on the dash of the MH. I have even stopped, got out and looked at an underpass on a city street once.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #16

And if you travel in Canada, make sure you do a note to self in meters (unless you are good enough to make the conversion in your head).

Old 08-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Sometimes, 11'8 means 11'8.

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
And if you travel in Canada, make sure you do a note to self in meters (unless you are good enough to make the conversion in your head).
We entered Canada today. As we entered the first overpass, we realized we didn't understand the height listed. Fortunately, there were semis going under in front of us, so we knew we were okay.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:05 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cool video Thanx for sharing Hooligan.
A couple of them looked like they slowed down wondering...am I gonna fit under? Noooope!
Old 08-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
For those of us who haven't been to Canada since we got a MH, or with the height of a MH in mind, how are bridge clearances posted?
I would assume something like: "3.9624m"?

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #21

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctox View Post
For those of us who haven't been to Canada since we got a MH, or with the height of a MH in mind, how are bridge clearances posted?
I would assume something like: "3.9624m"?
I just ended a month in Canada and usually saw clearances with only one decimal, so your example would be 3.9m. Contrary to what was stated in a previous post, it's really not that difficult to figure out if you remember that the meter is slightly longer than 3 feet (about 39 inches to be more precise.) So in your head you can quickly estimate that 3.9m is around 12' (it's actually ~12' 10"). If I saw a bridge with this height, I'd stop and make a careful calculation since my MH's height is ~12' 6".
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:16 AM   #22

I didn't see anything under 4.0 meters, so I felt good. Anything less than 3.9 meters, I was going to turn around.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:10 AM   #23

You have to understand how these heights are measured and how the signs get up. On new work, it's easy because clearances are just about always higher than the old work, and the necessary signs are up before the road is opened. On a re-pave, if the contractor is not required to do all the work and signage, the contractor notifies the city/county/state engineers that he's finished the work. A survey crew is dispatched but it may be a day to a week or longer untill actual clearances are measured. The info is sent to the engineering office who then sends a request to the sign shop for a new set of signs to be made. Depending on workload, materials availability and other issues, the signs may take a week to a month or longer to make. They then notify the road crews that the signs are ready and when a crew is available and the necessary equipment for sign mounting is has been secured, the signs are mounted. Total time...2-3 weeks to months. Oh yeah, how long do you think it will now take to get the new clearance heights into the road and trucker atlas and of course get into the GPS software and then distributed to the old users?

Measure your rig.
Look for and heed signs and warnings
If it's close, don't do it or hang DW on the ladder to check as you go under at a crawl.
Just remember, an extra 15 minutes at a questionable height bridge is a LOT QUICKER than getting the rig repaired.

PS: I used to work as a surveyor doing measurements such as these.
Pigman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:37 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a bridge on the Texas- Louisiana border over the Sabine river that is posted for 12 feet. There are warning signs for 15 miles in both directions from the bridge. My rig is 12'2" and pass under it 2-3 times each year.

It is an older bridge with angled gussets on both sides that are only 12'. In the middle it is over 13'. I watched logging trucks using the bridge and travel down the middle of the bridge.

I knew I could safely pass over the bridge because we had safely used the bridge with my older 11' 2" MH in the past with plenty of room overhead.

The point being, many bridges post there minimum height, but may be higher on one side, or in the middle, than advertised if angled or gusseted.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #25

I remember an overpass in Texas on I 35 north of Waco that is less 13 ft. But has angled gussets on both sides that are much lower than 13 ft.. There is a steep down slope on either side that makes it even more intimidating. Lots of construction in that stretch and that over pass will go away. My 12 ft. 6 " motor home cleared it, but I used the center of both lanes. A semi made it ok ahead of me, so I suspect the actual clearance was over 13 ft.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
I remember an overpass in Texas on I 35 north of Waco that is less 13 ft. But has angled gussets on both sides that are much lower than 13 ft.. There is a steep down slope on either side that makes it even more intimidating. Lots of construction in that stretch and that over pass will go away. My 12 ft. 6 " motor home cleared it, but I used the center of both lanes. A semi made it ok ahead of me, so I suspect the actual clearance was over 13 ft.
vraines
Perhaps that "lower than 13 ft." overpass it is not I 35?
I believe the minimum vertical clearance allowed under any overhead structure over any "Intrerstate Highway", (including over the paved shoulders) is 16 ft!
If any overpasses are lower than 16' the highway can not be designated as an Interstate.

Currently several bridges passing over U S highway 51 in north central Wisconsin are being replaced with new, higher bridges.
When those bridges are completed I-39 will be extended north past the city of Wausau.

Mel
Old 08-11-2013, 01:08 AM   #27

Pigman1 has the right idea:
Measure your rig.
If it's close, don't do it or hang DW on the ladder to check as you go under at a crawl.
Just remember, an extra 15 minutes at a questionable height bridge is a LOT QUICKER than getting the rig repaired.

Except in this family the DW is the driver.
For all those that count on driving down the middle to hit the high point, remember the Interstate 5 (May 2013) collapse over the Skagit River. The truck with the oversize load had to move over because another truck came the opposite direction. He made it off the bridge, but two vehicles following took a dive into the river.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Pigman1 has the right idea:
Measure your rig.
Beyond
True......
That way if any damage does occur it will be less , (and slower).

BTW, many coaches, (Safaris in particular), have no ladder....(I guess that's because a ladder detracts from the "pretty picture")?
I carry a telescoping ladder.
Mel
'96 Safari