Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M
If you don't have an object to park next to, you can use the laser level and tape measure by, and do it alone but it is easier to have a friend along. Place the laser level on the highest point of the RV and make sure it is level. Find the laser level dot. You can do this with your body. Just remember not to walk backwards to the edge. Extend the tape to the ground holding on to the rewind/spring portion. Look at where the laser dot hits the tape. That is your height.

Some things to consider. Resurfacing of the road ljust before the underpass can change the height by an inch or two. Hopefully the DOT will re-label the signs before or during re-surfacing. Snow can also cause a difference in height. Spilled debris such as gravel, sand, etc can cause a temporary difference in height. Other items of mechanical nature on the RV/Truck can affect overall height such as tire air pressure, air bag pressure, etc., so when measuring make sure things are as you will be traveling.

So ensure you have a fudge factor of a couple inches and in those situations that you are not sure about wait for an 18 wheeler to come through with a box on the tractor. To the top of the box is 13' 6" when I asked an 18 wheel driver.

Happy trails.
Great tips... thanks a bunch.

I'm weary of the 18-wheel 13'6“ thing though. The old train bridge near my place says 13'6" but these haulers pass with ease.

That said, are the sign markers stating actual height of obstacle, or saying what your own maximum height shouldn't exceed?

- K

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have run into low bridges on back roads very rarely. they frequently are marked with a lower clearance than actual. A couple of tunnels in CO in The Monument are marked 10' 6" and that may be the curb height, but in the lane we passed with no problem, just some shortness of breath, at 12'3" Seems they put the lower number on the tunnel so they can;t be sued by someone with a high coach who moves over against the curb.

On major roads. interstates, we have seen 2 or 3 low RR overpasses. They are clearly marked and have laser sights across the road which trigger a warning light to a bypass ramp for any thing that cuts the beam.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by xctraveler
We have run into low bridges on back roads very rarely. they frequently are marked with a lower clearance than actual. A couple of tunnels in CO in The Monument are marked 10' 6" and that may be the curb height, but in the lane we passed with no problem, just some shortness of breath, at 12'3" Seems they put the lower number on the tunnel so they can;t be sued by someone with a high coach who moves over against the curb.

On major roads. interstates, we have seen 2 or 3 low RR overpasses. They are clearly marked and have laser sights across the road which trigger a warning light to a bypass ramp for any thing that cuts the beam.
Almost 2' difference... wow. I suppose the underside was an arch... Laser sensors warning to use the bypass? Wow, that's something!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #18

One more thing to think about. There was an accident on the interstate and I decided to take a detour my gps indicated was good. I came to a railroad bridge with a marked clearance 1 foot higher than my coach. I drove down and under the bridge with no problem but......... this is where I lost my crank up antenna and the one of the air conditioner shrouds. The road went down with the low point being under the bridge, and then came back up on the other side of the bridge. My coach went down well enough, but when the front tires came back up on the other side, and the rear tires still on the way down, the roof rose and the antenna got sheared off and the shroud was mangled. That isn't the worst part, the noise was so horrible and my right hand seat "driver" screamed so loud I think lost what hearing I have left.

The police said the bridge was correctly marked, but it was measured from the bridge straight down to the lowest point of the road, not taking into account the road going down and up sharply on either side. He also said I wasn't the first to be caught in this trap.

Had to unhook the toad, get it out of the way, drop the air in the bags and back her out. Had to do it fast because the air pressure started to build as soon as I put into reverse. That was 10 years ago and my right hand seat driver has a very good memory.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #19

Quote:
That said, are the sign markers stating actual height of obstacle, or saying what your own maximum height shouldn't exceed?
The signs are marking the approx height of the bridge.. Some are marked lower but some are not..... just to keep us on our toes......
Old 07-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9
The police said the bridge was correctly marked, but it was measured from the bridge straight down to the lowest point of the road, not taking into account the road going down and up sharply on either side. He also said I wasn't the first to be caught in this trap.
Thanks for sharing that... Sorry it had to be "the hard way" for ya. Such is life lol
Old 07-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach

The signs are marking the approx height of the bridge.. Some are marked lower but some are not..... just to keep us on our toes......
Hmmmm... thanks
Old 07-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
DW bought a program on the internet which loads into the GPS unit and rings when you are approaching an overpass which is under the height of your rig that you've programed into the GPS.
Fred, if that's the one from LowClearances.com you need to be aware of a problem. If you have it set for a 1-mile warning, it will alert you of ALL the low clearances within one mile of your location IN ANY DIRECTION, not just on your route! It will drive you nuts going through a large city!
Also, they will automatically charge your credit card each year for an additional $14.97 for updates, whether your request them or not!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #23
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Depending on the GPS it may be possible to set it to only alarm when "on your route."

If you do any planning ahead of time on routes, (I like to look at my route the night before) you can look at the AITA Low Clearances web site. Just search on AITA Low Clearance for a link to the site. Then click on the state you are interested in and the low clearances for the roads are listed. So far, for me, they have been on-the-mark.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #24

I use the Rand Mcnally truck driver road atlas. I but a new one every other year. It has never been wrong. I always plan my route and fuel stop just like I did when I drove over teh road as a long haul truck driver.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #25

Most GPS's are auto type GPS's......make sure you get one that the truckers use or the new improved Rand McNally one......
We personally use the CO Pilot GPS.......it can be bought as an app and truckers use them.
With basement a/c, we save a few inches and we use a carryout satellite dome ( which automatically set up in less than 10 minutes, and I can park in the shade as long as I can see a sliver of the southern sky) so that saves us the possibility of losing the dome and a/c unitson the roof. The though of losing 2 a/c and a dome because of low clearance is scary to say the least. We have been down a road that did not mark the height of a low bridge.......we were lucky we had a chance to pull over, unhook the toad and make the escape....yes escape and lady luck was smiling down on us.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by corjaguar
With basement a/c, we save a few inches and we use a carryout satellite dome
Basement ac? Interesting... is that stock or your install? Carryout you say... what brand is that?
Old 07-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayzhar View Post
Basement ac? Interesting... is that stock or your install? Carryout you say... what brand is that?
The basement a/c belongs on a 2010 winnebago adventurer 35p.....I have had both carryout domes...the VuQube is alright, but the Winegard is far more superior....it is fully automatic and fast. No more having to hunt for a site at a campground that has a south view for a roof dome. What I like the most is I don't have that trickle of water condensation running down the side of my coach.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayzhar View Post
Basement ac? Interesting... is that stock or your install?
Winnebago used what I believe are small, residential heat pumps mounted int the basement of rigs for several years. I think some other mfgrs did as well but I believe Winnie is getting away from them now.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote