Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Winnebago used what I believe are small, residential heat pumps mounted int the basement of rigs for several years. I think some other mfgrs did as well but I believe Winnie is getting away from them now.

Rick

The a/c unit in my coach is a 2 ton Coleman residental a/c....very efficient and very quiet.....2010 is the last year with basement air on Winnebago coaches because the EPA now saids that all new basement a/c units using the current refridgerant must change over to the new stuff......so Coleman decided to go back to the roof a/c units instead of having to comply with the new refridgerant requirement.
I kinda like the clean look on my roof, all I have up on the roof is a couple of powervents and the bat wing.........oh and a solar panel.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by corjaguar View Post
I kinda like the clean look on my roof, all I have up on the roof is a couple of powervents and the bat wing.........oh and a solar panel.
I like the clean look on the roof too, but they've had a lot of trouble getting these basement units to keep up with demand when it gets really hot. I know several folks who have taken to adding a roof top A/C unit in place of a Fantastic Fan to be able to cool the coach sufficiently.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I like the clean look on the roof too, but they've had a lot of trouble getting these basement units to keep up with demand when it gets really hot. I know several folks who have taken to adding a roof top A/C unit in place of a Fantastic Fan to be able to cool the coach sufficiently.

Rick

I believe that the 2010 Coleman residental a/c units are the 3rd generation....therefore I feel that it is as good as it was going to get. Having said that, I know if you are on 50 amp service at a CG, and have your thermostat set at a reasonable temp (76 degrees), it will keep up and work fine. We just came back from 3 months on the road ( to Texas and back), and I felt that the inside of the coach was very comfortable.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by corjaguar View Post
I believe that the 2010 Coleman residental a/c units are the 3rd generation....therefore I feel that it is as good as it was going to get. Having said that, I know if you are on 50 amp service at a CG, and have your thermostat set at a reasonable temp (76 degrees), it will keep up and work fine. We just came back from 3 months on the road ( to Texas and back), and I felt that the inside of the coach was very comfortable.
I'm sure you're right about them being as good as they were going to get.

But, I think your post would have been more accurate had it read that your individual coach will keep up just fine if set at a reasonable temp. As a general statement I'm afraid I don't believe that is true for most owners of these units. A search of this and other forums will yield a list of owners who feel that their basement air units can't meet the needs in very hot climates.

We've spent a great deal of time in the desert southwest. Out basement air will keep the coach about 15 to 20 degrees below outdoor ambient temps. That can make it a bit uncomfortable inside when the outside temp is 107... the average daily temp in Phoenix during July.

I'm aware of the problem Winnie had with the duct hose in the rear cap coming loose and this isn't a problem on my rig. I also use the recommended "cheapo" air filters to avoid restricting air flow.

Bottom line IMHO is that it's a good thing they are going back to the roof top units... and, although I've heard the official company line about going back to roof top because it would be "too much hassle" to comply with new regulations... I'm afraid I don't completely buy it.

All above just offered FWIW.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #33

Thanks all... good info.

Why is it that roof units purportedly work better? More efficient design? Better thermal transfer etc etc...? Or is it just simply that they were smaller (space) when put in the basement?
Old 07-22-2012, 05:15 AM   #34

I have had both...in our first two coaches the a/c was on the roof,and now the basement type. I feel the a/c unit is better served not having to operate in the direct sunlight, the temp difference must translate into some sort of efficiency. We never run our house a/c while driving anyway, so the pros and cons of that argument is out the window for me. Yes I am sure we have pros and con about roof a/c, but the bottom line for me is no more condensation running down the awning/coach......the level of noise the roof a/c produced as opposed to just the low level hum of the basement in the bedroom. It just so happens that my brother-in-law is a licensed a/c mechanic
Old 07-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by corjaguar
I have had both...in our first two coaches the a/c was on the roof,and now the basement type. I feel the a/c unit is better served not having to operate in the direct sunlight, the temp difference must translate into some sort of efficiency. We never run our house a/c while driving anyway, so the pros and cons of that argument is out the window for me. Yes I am sure we have pros and con about roof a/c, but the bottom line for me is no more condensation running down the awning/coach......the level of noise the roof a/c produced as opposed to just the low level hum of the basement in the bedroom. It just so happens that my brother-in-law is a licensed a/c mechanic
Good points... It just so happens that the vast majority of my time will be spent in the temperate NW, so basement unit(s) is definitely a viable option.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #36

It all has to do with area being serviced......same size a/c cooling more or less area makes a big difference whether it be roof or basement unit.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #37

Just a point of information I keep an eye out for commercial/18 wheelers coming towards me it give me some sense of security that if he made it thru, than I should be okay........no guarantees but it helps
Old 07-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

I posted this on another thread because I didn't see this thread. Just came back from a trip which included going to Niagra Falls which was wonderful. Came up from Buffalo on I-190 and following the signs and GPS to Niagra Falls Goat Island parking Lot #2 for RVs. Turned off I-190 onto Robert Moses Pkwy on a cloverleaf. In the middle of the curve there was a warning sign (the first one) saying the overpass that I was going to immediately go under had a 12' clearance. My MH is 12' 6" to the top of the SAT dome. Then another sign with flashing yellow lights and 12' warning. This overpass is right there with no warning coming off the clowerleaf. I stopped in the right hand lane with my flashers on and got out to take a look. Nowhere to backup and couldnt without disconnecting the toad and having the police stop traffic. There are actually three bridges right together and the middle one is the lowest. I climbed up the bank to look at my 12' 6" MH and it looked close. I dumped my air suspension and put my wife out there with the walki-talki. With the suspension dumped I cannot turn the front wheels because it will hit the body and crack it. I watched my DW's face for bad indications and none seen so I went under the bridges. I made it OK. We went on to the Falls and parked and I walked over to a tour bus driver and asked him about the overpass. He just looked at me in amazement. Said they didn't go that way. Gooing back the sign says 11' 8" clearance but you make a turn before the overpass so you don't have to go under it. Just as a warning to people going to Niagra Falls. It was worth the heart attack. Rode the Maid of the Mist and it was great.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
A good investment is a truckers GPS I use the Rand McNally 5510 and find it works great, after my old Garmin directed me to a low bridge and 1 way street in downtown Syracuse one satellite dome later I invested in a new GPS. Remember to measure to the top of the satellite dome, my overall height is 13ft.2in.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
PLEASE, see post #12.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #41

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayzhar View Post
Laser sensors warning to use the bypass? Wow, that's something!
Yep, quite common here in WA, mainly in construction zones when the bridge falsework it too low during construction. They'll set the lights up a mile or so before the construction and route high loads off the offramp and back on the onramp.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter
It was worth the heart attack.
Sometimes the good things in life have to be earned ...thanks for sharing.