Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #1

Clearances in Colorado

Seems like a weird question, but we just bought a new class A with almost 13' foot in height. In Texas, all the bridges were marked, but in Colorado they are not. I've googled it, but I can't find any regs as to marking clearances in Colorado. Anybody out there know the answer?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The bridges on I-70 out in western CO are all marked. According to my low clearance POI's on my GPS, there's only one bridge that would be a problem in the whole state. It appears to be some obscure street in northern Denver.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #3

I-25 SB near Mile High field has an overpass that is marked. The two outside lanes heights are shorter than the two inside lanes. My understanding is overpasses over all interstate highways have to be at least 13'6" high. My coach is 12'1" high with a cb antenna sticking up another couple feet and I haven't had a problem in Colorado yet.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashdriver View Post
The bridges on I-70 out in western CO are all marked. According to my low clearance POI's on my GPS, there's only one bridge that would be a problem in the whole state. It appears to be some obscure street in northern Denver.
My Low Clearances waypoints show 3 around downtown Denver. All of them are on 20th St. near Coor's Field. They have 11' clearance.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In states that don't mark clearance on all bridges they do mark low clearances (less than 13'6") and many have clearance warning signals. They want to preserve their bridges from us
Old 10-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashdriver View Post
You have a GPS that indicates overhead clearance? What is the anime of your GPS, I would like to check it out.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4x4 View Post
You have a GPS that indicates overhead clearance? What is the anime of your GPS, I would like to check it out.
Just about all Garmin GPS units, the Rand McNally 7000 series and probably others will allow you to import custom POIs, which can include low clearances.

Here's a slightly modified post I made in another thread that you may find useful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I use POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS for the majority of my POIs. You do have to register, but it's free.

They also have a red light & speed cameras set of POIs but require a fee to download http://www.poi-factory.com/poifiles/us/red-light-cameras

Some of the files are available only in GPX format for Garmin units. However you can download this free program http://turboccc.wikispaces.com/Extra_POI_Editor which will allow you to easily convert GPX files to CSV files that you can import into other units.
They do have a low clearance file Low Clearance Underpasses | POI Factory, but I actually use one from Low Clearance GPS Data as I think it's more comprehensive. I also know that they add user submitted low clearances once they have verified them, as I have sent in three that were subsequently added to the database. The files are available in different formats, Garmin, S&T, etc. There is a fee of $15.00 per year, which I only did once every few years, but I see they now have a lifetime membership at $45.00. One membership fee gives you access to all of the file formats.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Just about all Garmin GPS units, the Rand McNally 7000 series and probably others will allow you to import custom POIs, which can include low clearances.
Just to update this information I have a Rand McNally RVND 7710 GPS. It comes from the factory with Low clearances programmed in. I am sure it does not have all the low bridges in the US programmed in. I use I when I travel by air on business. I throw it into my suitcase and then use it in the rental car (is a lot cheaper than the 10.00per day the car companies charge) One of the airports I flew into has a pedestrian bridge over the highway to the parking lot. I was returning the rental car approaching this bridge and my GPS sounded a low clearance warning. I though that if it has pedestrian bridges at airports in the memory then am probably going to be pretty safe on the roads I travel in the RV
Old 10-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Though I have never RV'd in downtown Denver, I've traveled extensively throughout the rest of the state. There are plenty of trees with low-hanging branches, but I've never "run into" a bridge that was a problem. I'm just under 13' tall. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
I wouldn't get too complacent with low clearances in a GPS. I have an updated Garmin that has quite a few errors of fact in it's data base. I've sent reports to their website to correct such errors, some I reported over a year ago that still haven't been corrected. Colorado low bridges: http://dtdapps.coloradodot.info/stat...HgtRestMap.pdf

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Just to update this information I have a Rand McNally RVND 7710 GPS. It comes from the factory with Low clearances programmed in. I am sure it does not have all the low bridges in the US programmed in. I use I when I travel by air on business. I throw it into my suitcase and then use it in the rental car (is a lot cheaper than the 10.00per day the car companies charge) One of the airports I flew into has a pedestrian bridge over the highway to the parking lot. I was returning the rental car approaching this bridge and my GPS sounded a low clearance warning. I though that if it has pedestrian bridges at airports in the memory then am probably going to be pretty safe on the roads I travel in the RV
I have a Rand 7720 but still prefer to have a separate low clearance database from Low Clearance.com loaded in my custom POIs. With the custom POIs I can set warning distance to say something like 5 miles. Anytime I'm within 5 miles of a low clearance it will give an audible alert and show where the low clearance is. It might not be on the road I'm on, but could be on an upcoming road that I might be thinking about taking. This database is also more extensive than what is loaded on the 7720, particularly for other than main highways as it includes a lot of user supplied data.

The following map shows clearances 13' 2" and below in Colorado
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Colo low clearance.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	47885  
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #12

What ever happened to the ATA listing by state of low clearances? I had it bookmarked but it is not working now..
Old 10-17-2013, 01:58 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I have a Rand 7720 but still prefer to have a separate low clearance database from Low Clearance.com loaded in my custom POIs. With the custom POIs I can set warning distance to say something like 5 miles. Anytime I'm within 5 miles of a low clearance it will give an audible alert and show where the low clearance is. It might not be on the road I'm on, but could be on an upcoming road that I might be thinking about taking. This database is also more extensive than what is loaded on the 7720, particularly for other than main highways as it includes a lot of user supplied data.

The following map shows clearances 13' 2" and below in Colorado
I will have to look at my GPS but I thought that I could set the alarm for low clearance on how far It warned me. I do not know how extensive the Rand database is. Iif you noticed in my post it knew a pedestrian bridge on the terminal road to passenger pickups at the airport was too low a clearance. I would not by any stretch of the imagination consider that a main road. Yet it was in their database. It is a good idea to use custom POI information I am not familiar with the one you mention and do not know how often it is updated or who actually inputs the data. I do not believe that it overwrites the one in the Rand so having two separate databases should give you twice the protection in case one of them missed something that the other one had.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For those of you that think everything is marked clearly on the highway or bridges in different states, I once hit a low bridge on the Bronx Expressway in NY while driving a Winnebago Journey. Completely totaled the roof of the motorhome. I use a Garmin Truckers GPS now, but I don't trust it completely either.