Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #1

Clicking noise

Last fall i pulled my house batteries taped up the leads as i was told because of solar panels, went up front and pulled out chasis battery as i was walking away to put battery in truck i could hear a clicking noise, how can it make a cllicking noise with no power. Thanks Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2016, 07:29 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have solar, there was probably some voltage generated by the panels.
Could be a relay closing, but not enough power to keep it closed, so it cycles.

Dan

Old 03-19-2016, 08:05 PM   #3

Sounds logical. Thanks
Old 03-19-2016, 10:06 PM   #4

Just curious, why did you pull your batteries? We have a solar panel on our coach and never remove batteries unless we need to replace them.

Best of luck & safe travels.....

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:37 AM   #5

I had a similar experience as OP. I removed my house batteries, leaving the coach battery in, for a repair on the battery rack. After the batteries were removed I kept hearing a relay clicking a few times a minute. It was coming from the battery control center box next to my inverter. I had already thrown the battery disconnect for both coach and house. I went ahead and threw the inverter/converter physical disconnect switch (which breaks that circuit) and then it stopped. It makes sense, but I bet on most coaches (like mine) the circuit that contains the inverter, BCC and batteries are not separated by the battery disconnect switches, the battery disconnect switches just separate this circuit from the other load components (if I said that in a way that makes any sense).

So back to the OPs situation, I guess +1 for dpinvidic's point about the solar panel
Old 03-20-2016, 11:49 AM   #6

Lvj58 I live in snow country which would render the panels unless also I froze two batteries as I didn't remove them soon enough. I have it stored in a lot where there is no shore power. Thanks Bob
Old 03-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #7

Noflyboy
I think the solar panels were the source this is why I was told to tape the battery cables as there would be a trickle charge coming thru. Thanks for your info
Old 03-21-2016, 12:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsley5 View Post
Lvj58 I live in snow country which would render the panels unless also I froze two batteries as I didn't remove them soon enough. I have it stored in a lot where there is no shore power. Thanks Bob

Oh, OK understood, glad we live in the desert area.

Again best of luck & safe travels...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:02 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If there are any fuses like this ( auto-resetting fuse ) near where you're hearing the sound coming from - you may have a fuse that's constantly resetting. I happened to hear a constant clicking coming from the external wiring compartment - and discovered that one of the resettable fuses like that pictured at the link was resetting constantly.

SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise