Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #43

Excel Owners Club
We have FTed for five years, and before the last couple of months, never had a washer dryer. DW felt she was comfortable finding a laundromat, getting it all done at once etc. So, when we bought this new rig, we had lots of discussion about whether we should order W/D or not.

We talked to lots of people, and read tons of stuff on the forums. DW decided she wanted to try it, and based on all the advice and experiences shared by others, decided to go with stackable vented units. We had Whirlpool apartment size units installed when the rig was built.

All I can say is at this point, I suspect we have now entered the group who say "they will never be without in the future". Every time wash is done, I hear something to the effect of "I love getting this done while I can do other things" --"I love doing wash in PJ's" etc. She is extremely happy with the performance of these units so far, and has indicated that the automatic drying function has actually performed better than her experience many times in the laundromat.

Time will tell for sure, I guess, but for now they seem to be a very nice addition.

bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the Splendide 7100 ventless and it is perfect. Fast, quiet and does a great job. No heat in motorhome. It fit perfectly in the space allocated by Newmar in our model. The convenience of putting in load at bedtime and having it done when you wake up is really nice. We take fewer clothes with us when traveling now and wash when necessary. We would do it again if we bought another unit. Seeya on the road.

2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #45
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by calhyatt View Post
We take fewer clothes with us when traveling now and wash when necessary. We would do it again if we bought another unit. Seeya on the road.
Thes cloths is a huge benefit. We take 1/4 the clothes we used to and there is no dirty laundry building up. No heavy bags being dragged to the laundromat. At the end of the day everyone puts their clothes in the washer and we start it in the morning.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #46

What are my alternatives to washing clothes besides laundrymat or inhouse washer/dryer? Any suggestions?
Old 08-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Depending on where you are, a laundry service is a viable option. If staying long term a a park or resort, you could do a drop off and pick up. Takes less time than grocery shopping. If you are on the road and want to boondock, then your choices are limited. You may just hand wash daily and hang out to dry.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #48

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a Splendide combo in our 41ft DSDP. Don't mind the space it takes, but we have rarely used it. As others have said you MUST do small loads and wash more often. Even though DW is not completely happy with the time it takes to complete a load, she still prefers having it in our coach rather than dragging dirty clothes to the laundromat.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #49

We are full timers and the washer/dryer is a big benefit to us. Wouldn't buy a MH without it
Old 08-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #50

We have been on the road for a month with another month to go. We have the washer/dryer combo...came with the coach we bought used. I can say that we absolutely do not want to be without a washer or dryer. My days of using a laundromat were over many years ago. We don't even mind the combo. We will probably opt for a stackable if we ever change coaches, but for now, the combo works fine for us.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #51

I'm single and when I was full timing, I never had a use for the washer/dryer. I used the space where the washer/dryer would have been as extra storage space. I only did laundry every couple of weeks and like the capacity of the washers & dryers at the various campgrounds I was staying. Besides it gave me an opportunity to visit with my fellow travelers.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
My wife and I are faaaar from full-timing as we are still working full-time. We use ours for about 70 nights per year @ around 6-8000 miles per year.

When we were looking to upgrade to our current rig I did NOT want a washer/dryer unit as my thinking was that it was one more thing to have issues with and one more thing to winterize.

On our first week long trip out about two months after purchasing our coach the wife wanted to try it so I turned the water on to it. Now after five years I don't think she would ever let me get another coach without one. She likes no having to pack as many clothes and the overall convenience of it. If we are just sitting outside enjoying the campground it is nothing for her to throw a load in and come sit outside while it is washing.

The combo unit does smaller loads than normal but she says it is not that big of a deal as it is more of a convenience than anything.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #53

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My DW ask me about this and with the help of reading this issue I believe that it will be in our next coach as soon as we go FT, I can look at it this way, time & space, in the coach or time wasted in a laundry mat, guess which one I perfer, Think my wife will be happy about this, but wonder about the lent, our home dryer has a lint trap, no one that I seen mention lint trap, ( i did skip over a few postrings) is there a lint trap?? I heard a few years ago there was none then the lint will clog the drain pipes.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #54
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamphog View Post
My DW ask me about this and with the help of reading this issue I believe that it will be in our next coach as soon as we go FT, I can look at it this way, time & space, in the coach or time wasted in a laundry mat, guess which one I perfer, Think my wife will be happy about this, but wonder about the lent, our home dryer has a lint trap, no one that I seen mention lint trap, ( i did skip over a few postrings) is there a lint trap?? I heard a few years ago there was none then the lint will clog the drain pipes.
Most have a trap you can clean out every few loads. Most of the lint goes down the drain and larger objects get trapped. This is for the ventless combo units I have owned. I do not know about the combo vented units. I have considered a vented unit but did not want to cut a hole in the side of my rig.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #55

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jol912 View Post
We have a Splendide combo in our 41ft DSDP. Don't mind the space it takes, but we have rarely used it. As others have said you MUST do small loads and wash more often. Even though DW is not completely happy with the time it takes to complete a load, she still prefers having it in our coach rather than dragging dirty clothes to the laundromat.
Kind of the same here. Since we're still both working and raising one grandchild we don't get out for long trips. The Splendide has never been used by us since we bought it used. Wife would rather have the storage space, but I know it'll be needed if we ever do get to full time it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #56

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
I have considered a vented unit but did not want to cut a hole in the side of my rig.
We ordered the rig pre-wired/plumbed for a Splendide combo. Found one very lightly used and put it in myself. Boring that large a hole through the sidewall was nerve wracking but luckily Newmar put a sticker on the inside wall where to drill. I got the outside vent fitting when at the factory in 2004.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote