Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #1

Clothes washer battles: Splendide versus Whirlpool

We definitely have on our to-do list to install a stacked washer/dryer into our rig. I have had in my mind that the Splendide was a better unit than the Whirlpool option. HOWEVER, I was at the Minneapolis RV show a couple weeks ago and while looking through the Newmar DPs (NICErigs) noted that they uniformly had the stacked Whirlpool units in them. When I asked the dealer about this, he said their experience has been that the Splendide units might seem nicer "out of the box" but that once they started misbehaving they were a real problem ... And that they have not seen similar problems with the whirlpool stacked units. Who out there has had experience with either the Splendid or the Whirlpool units (the STACKED ones), and what have you run in to in terms of reliability?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I had Splendid in our last MH and never had a problem with it. Our new MH is coming with Whirpool. The only advantage I see to the Whirlpool is parts available at most appliance parts stores and local techs that can work on them. Both are good units and I am fine with the Whirlpools.

brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

The biggest problem with Splendide (combo or stacked) is finding someone who will work on them wherever you happen to be. Parts are available in 1-3 days from the distributor so that's not really an issue and the newer models have very few things to replace; almost all major functions are controlled by one main circuit board which is relatively easy to replace. After watching the technician work on mine a few months ago, I realized that the repairs are pretty simple, finding the space to work on them in the RV is the real issue along with wrestling the box out of wherever it is located.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #4

We have a Whirlpool washer and dryer stack in our MH. We have used them extensively since purchase last summer. They work very well. We even wash and dry clothes on the road. We have Whirlpool appliances at home. We like them.

Add: and the washer was pretty straightforward to winterize.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #5

I have stacked Whirlpool and love them. No prblems yet.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The Splendide units are 120v, even the dryer. Some of the other units require 240v for the dryer. Make sure you identify which voltage is required by whichever units you purchase and that you can wire that voltage to the dryer's location in your coach. I changed my Splendide washer/dryer to individual Splendide units and found that both can run on the same 120v, 20A outlet...the washer uses about 4-5 amps, the dryer 12A, I believe. Something to consider before you buy units.
wizzo442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:32 AM   #7
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Can't comment on the Splendides. Our stacked Whirlpools are great. They clean and dry very well and get plenty of use.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Can't comment on the Splendides. Our stacked Whirlpools are great. They clean and dry very well and get plenty of use.
Ours have and do work perfectly!!
Old 02-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We are on Splendide number two, single unit, vented outside...no problems with either one. Each got run nearly every day.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:47 AM   #10

16 year old splendid works perfectly in our coach. I am not looking forward to when it does break down.

I don't think you should be thinking about reliability with these but more functionality and how they fit your needs. The splendide is perfect for us on our week long trips.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
16 year old splendid works perfectly in our coach. I am not looking forward to when it does break down.

I don't think you should be thinking about reliability with these but more functionality and how they fit your needs. The splendide is perfect for us on our week long trips.
Two years ago we replaced our then 12 year old Splendide with one of the new models. It was a major improvement in load size and washing performance. It was worth the replacement cost rather than trying to repair the old unit IMHO
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #12

My Splendid is 10 years old and works fine, we spend the winters if Florida. Wife dosn't like the time it takes but 'it's my boat"RV" and I'll do what I want'. We
Old 02-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #13

I have found more consistantly, that sales staff will tell you anything. Manufactures will bid out large quanties of products for use in their line. While both Whirlpool and Splendid are very good products, it will come down to purchasing costs for production. We have had Splendid in the last two coaches without and problems. I am sure Whirlpool has worked equally as well. I am surely not going to eliminate what coach to buy based on the washer and drier used, or base my decision on a salesmans answer that more than likely never used either.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:36 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thom and I had to go into Long Beach, CA last nite, yea I know horrible traffic and everything. Well we stopped off at Best Buy to look around and well to also use the restroom We went by all the fridges, washers, dryers, stove tops etc ...... Thom saw this stackable set of a Bosch washer and dryer. He looked at it and looked at me and said ... "You know this will fit where the old Splendide was" I just looked at him and said "No" and then walked away.

So there are more than just Splendide and Whirlpool for using ......