Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2012, 05:36 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coach batteries

Coach batteries, what is the best kind and size to buy..6 vs 12 volt, GC-2 Golf cart batteries? whatever GC-2 is probably the model but whats the brand? Thanks
Jerry and Teri Lea

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2012, 05:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have had two sets of Interstate Workhorse U-2200 6 VDC batteries in my coach. The first set were the original ones that came from the factory. They lasted 7.5 years and I was not very careful when taking care of them. The second set only lasted 4.5 years with excellent care and maintenance before two of them were boiling all of the time and the sides of the batteries had expanded dangerously.

I took all four out this past August and replaced them with 4 Sam's Club 6 VDC batteries model GC-2. They were only about $70 each whereas the U-2200's were over $100 each.

The GC-2 seem to be working great but we shall see how long they last.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 10-31-2012, 06:13 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Batteries are hit and miss nowadays. Everyone has a wildly different story with the same batteries. Weird. Its like that same brand is made at 5 different places.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:16 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonational View Post
Coach batteries, what is the best kind and size to buy..6 vs 12 volt, GC-2 Golf cart batteries? whatever GC-2 is probably the model but whats the brand? Thanks
Jerry and Teri Lea
GC 2 is a brand Energizer and it is 6V. I was told they called it GC 2 as a short for Golf Cart which would be a deep cycle.
The voltage for batteries on your particular installation I do not know
Old 10-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #5

We replaced our 4 Interstate U2200 6v batteries with 4 Interstate GC2 6v batteries from Costco--basically they're the same. If I'm not mistaken the GC means Golf Cart, but could be wrong.. Costco price was $96.20 including tax with old battery core turn-in.

My choice would definitely be 6v batteries for coach batteries.

Good luck and safe travels...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:27 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey Guys....

I have 4 12 volt batteries for the coach and I am thinking that I should replace them with 6 volt batts. The compartment that they are stored in is really tight and I would love to be able to check the fluid level regularly... Do you have any ideas about how to replace the batts and then monitor the fluid level? Should I go with sealed batts that require no maintanance...or should I find a way to put new batts in a tray that can be monitored???

My batts are quite old and I need to replace them and I would love to hear your opinions....

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Replaced our 10 year old Interstate U-2200's with new Interstate GC-2 batteries earlier this year. Cost was around $115 each, but I got such good life out of the originals I went with the same ones.
GC-2 is an industry wide designation for the size/rating of the batteries just like Group 27 is.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks,,we are not members of Sams or Costco, I guess we'll have to see if Walmart sells the GC-2...sounds like a lot of you are using these 6V batteries..We just bought this 2004 Dolphin and didnt check it out as good as we should have so .. we have replaced the engine battery and I tried charging the house bats with a battery charger but they didnt take..soo...its already time to buy somemore batteries.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Slide for Battery Bay for My Palazzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fansill View Post
Hey Guys....

I have 4 12 volt batteries for the coach and I am thinking that I should replace them with 6 volt batts. The compartment that they are stored in is really tight and I would love to be able to check the fluid level regularly... Do you have any ideas about how to replace the batts and then monitor the fluid level? Should I go with sealed batts that require no maintanance...or should I find a way to put new batts in a tray that can be monitored???

My batts are quite old and I need to replace them and I would love to hear your opinions....

Faith
Here is what I did

Slide for Battery Bay for My Palazzo
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:37 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
AGM 6V seem to have many pros and only a financial con. Basic RV life and shore power hook ups then Costco Sams Club Walmart is fine . Boondocking for extended period demands looking up vonsumer reports etc Good luck out there.
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Hey Guys....

Faith
I have a Monaco Dynasty owner friend who beta tested a set of of these new type of house batteries for a company located in Florida. His name is Ron Jones and you can read about his testing here.

RVing Tips- RV LifeStyle - RV Travel Full Time RVing - RV Maintenance - RV Repair

Here is the website for the company who makes them. They are lithium ion batteries.

Lithionics RV Li3 Batteries

Since his beta testing, I have another Monaco friend who just installed two of the same lithium-ion batteries into his 2003 Diplomat.

They are pricey but then again, you get what you pay for and a lot more with these batteries.

I just replaced my 11 year old chassis battery and my 4.5 year old set of house batteries in Fairbanks Alaska this past summer. I bought them from Sam's Club and they are all the wet cell type.

They next time I have to replace batteries, it will be from this company for sure.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Hey Guys....

Faith
We use this system for adding water to our 4 coach batteries:

Qwik-Fill and Pro-Fill RV Edition | Flow-Rite

Works great, been using it since 2006 and so far no problems with the system.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
We use this system for adding water to our 4 coach batteries:

Qwik-Fill and Pro-Fill RV Edition | Flow-Rite

Works great, been using it since 2006 and so far no problems with the system.
I looked at the site. There seems to be two different systems. Is it the pro-fill rv system you have? Also, the description says it fills two batteries, do I need two systems for my four house batteries?
Old 11-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonational View Post
Jerry and Teri Lea
We have a 2011 Canyon Star. It originally came with 2-12 volt batteries. There is not enough storage in a 12 volt battery and they did not work for us at all. We have solar 2-110 Watt units. We went with 2 6 volt batteries, hoping that would give us enough storage. They work but do not have enough storage to operate TV's or whatever. I believe that you need 4-6 volt batteries if you want to boondock for any length of time. Whether you are charging your batteries with a generator or travelling, 2-6 volts do not give you enough storage. I am assuming that you have an inverter installed in your unit.
We are having another battery holder installed so that we can add another 2 so that we have 4-6 volt batteries. We have boondocked often and it is nice not to have to listen to the generator operating so the solar panels sure made a difference.
Happy Trails

Tags
batteries