Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #1

Coach batteries

My coach battries won't stay charged when plugged into AC how do I tell if my converter is bad or switch bad I have a 1998 Georgia Boy Cruise Master 35 ft
Kendoll777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #2

I don't know about your particular coach but I had the same problem on my previous coach and the inverter switches to charge when plugged and that portion of my inverter went bad. It wouldn't charge the batteries and they would run down causing problems numerous different problems inside the coach.
roadrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check voltage at batteries with and without converter turned on. Should be about 1 volt increase when on if working. If no change check input and outputs at the converter.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Measure the voltage at the battery terminals when connected to shore power. Make sure the battery disconnect is not in the disconnect position. You should measure about 13.6 volts if the converter is good.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #5

If you find the charger is bad, and not just something that needs resetting. You might want to look at just adding a Battery Tender for keeping the house up while plugged in. We had a 98 Bounder and the Battery Wizard stopped working. I bought two Battery Tenders, and permanently mounted them to support the House and also the Chassis batteries. I ran an extension cord from the house batteries to the chassis batter area with tie straps, and then had only one run from the garage to the house battery compartment, where I used a three way plug to feed the house Battery Tender and the extension cord up to the chassis Battery Tender. (Left these in the coach when I sold it, and wish I had pulled them out!

Best of luck,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #6

coach batteries

Thanks everyone for all the good advice. I'll try this
Old 12-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #7

Do a search on the forums - there is plenty of information on this issue.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #8

I found out the charger/converter was disconnected. I pulled it out and measured the VDC and it was 38.6 without being connected to the system. Should it read that high or at the most 13.6
Old 12-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Depending on your meter and the rectification and filtering of the converter it very well be fine. Connect it to the batteries and measure again.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries