Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-31-2015, 05:53 AM   #1
Coach Batteries

Well just returned from our first trip with our new Canyon Star 3921.We traveled from Ma to WV 600 miles each way. We stayed at Wal-Mart the first night. It was 19 degrees at night so we had heat on all night, refrigerator on propane and a occasional light on and the Batteries went dead. I ran the generator for a couple of short jaunts after that to get us threw the night. My questions are;
  1. What should I expect and how should I operate the systems?
  2. How many coach Batteries do you all have?
  3. How many of you have converted to 6 volt and what have the results been.

Thank You
vfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 06:27 AM   #2
Originally Posted by vfauto View Post
1. You really should tell everyone the exact batteries you have. With 2 12 volt batteries you probably have about 200 amp hours of storage. (Meaning about 100 of usable storage)
Furnace example @ 19 degrees; Furnace draw about 12 amps/hr. Running 45 minutes every hour. 8hrs X 9 amp/hrs =72 amp/hrs

2. I only have 2 12 volt. They are 120 pounds each and provide about 220 amp hours of AGM powered storage. IMO you get about 200 amp hours per 100 pounds no matter what.

3. Ultimately you just need more amp/hours of storage. If you're on a budget than 6 volts may be cheaper because the golf cart demands.

If you want to know more than just get more storage capacity than please read this; https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/
After you read that you will be convinced to get a Trimetric meter. Until you get a good meter/shunt you really won't know exactly what's going on when everything is working or when it starts to fail.

okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:06 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Our first RV was a Class C that came with one 12 volt house battery. It would not last the night trying to run furnace. We did not have an inverter so there were no major draws on the battery other then the furnace or Fantastic Fan.

I ultimately put 2nd battery in with a selector to pull from either battery or both. I would draw from 1 battery during the night and then switch to the 2nd one in the AM. If needed I would start the generator to charge both.

Now we own a 2002 Monaco Windsor with four 6 volt batteries wired for 12 volt that provide ~+500 amp or 250 amp useable. This does us pretty well. We do have an inverter for TV's and other appliances. It does have a sizeable parasitic draw, even if we aren't doing anything the batteries are being depleted.

I also have about 320 watt of solar panels on top of the coach that will keep batteries charged and will allow for conservative usage of power when boon docking. At peak charge it will provide ~14 amps charging power @ ~14.5 volt.

If temps outside are moderate in summer and winter we do not have to run generator unless we have to run appliances or microwave while boon docking we start generator as this will drain the batteries quickly.

We also have a EMS (energy management system) that controls the 120 volt power usage if we are hooked to 20 or 30 amp shore power. It will cycle off major draws to maintain power consumption below those points. This is a nice feature once you learn it's capabilities.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:58 AM   #4
Originally Posted by vfauto View Post
...My questions are;
Have you checked the water level on your coach batteries? If the coach sat on the dealer's lot for any length of time, there's no telling how they may have been abused. After topping off the water, plug it in and recharge the batteries for 24 hours. Allow the surface charge to dissipate and test with a hydrometer, check to be sure the connections are clean and tight. Finally, under the heading of "oops," be sure you haven't left on a light or other draw in the compartments.

I know "sunlight" is an unknown phenomenon in MA but a solar panel is the best thing that you can install for boondocking. Here in the southwest, it's a "no brainer." I have 320 watts on the roof and my batteries (2x Trojan T145) are fully charged by 10AM most days. Good luck.
2010 WGO Vista 30W, 1993 Geo Tracker
Just a user with no RV or mechanical expertise
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:10 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Furnace needs quite a bit of power to run the fan and control electrics. An option for consideration is to add instead a propane fired heater such as Olympic or Buddy.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote