Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2018, 10:46 PM   #1

Coach Batteries Going completely dead

I have replaced my batteries twice within 8 weeks. Have turned off main power to coach and also switch that kills all power inside coach. Have a new magnum inverter. know what the problem could be. Have both disconnected now with only positive cable on. Draining to point that they cannot be charged. Only replaced
1998 Country Coach Magna 40`
Open for suggestions.
Thanks
Dwight
Getbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2018, 11:41 PM   #2

If only the positive cable is connected on the battery’s I don’t see how new fully charged batteries could go dead in a short time? If this is the case I would say the new batteries are defective. Also fully discharged batteries a lot of times will not recharge with modern digital battery chargers till they have a sufficient charge. In this case an old fashioned battery charger will get them charged to the point that the newer digital charger will complete the charge if they weren’t damaged.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:35 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How long to discharged? The inverter/charger is typically directly connected to the house batteries and not subject to the disconnect switch. There is a power draw even when turned off.

Total disconnect is often done by removing a battery cable - a disconnect switch at the battery cable is easier than removing a cable.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:05 AM   #4

That is the way those disconnect switches were meant to be set up. Both of my disconnect switches have stuff wired to the hot side from the factory along with phantom power drains but not as big a drain as with them turned on. Some day I may look further into it but for now I keep it connected to shore power for any extended times of non use.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm with Roy on all counts here. Were the new batteries fully charged before installation? Are these deep cycle 6v batteries in series? Am I correct in assuming you replaced an old failing set with new which also appear to have failed?
Old 12-19-2018, 12:47 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Do you have the inverter turned off? Some coaches (mine included) have the inverter wired ahead of the battery disconnect. If I don't turn the inverter off it will drain the house batteries in a few days.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:07 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getbak View Post
Draining to point that they cannot be charged. Only replaced
Dwight
If your trying to charge them with a smart/automatic charger, they won't charge a completely dead battery. You need to use a manual conventional charger to put some voltage in them first.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:36 AM   #8

Batteries Dead

Thanks for your reply. My batteries are not going dead with only positive cables disconnected. I had to disconnect my negatives to keep them from going dead
If connected they drain to point no charge
thanks
Old 12-20-2018, 08:41 AM   #9

Batteries new and deep cycle. On my third set of totally drained. I did leave my inverter on. Takes about 4 days to completely drain.
thanks
Old 12-20-2018, 08:42 AM   #10

Have tried different chargers. Manufacturer tried and totally drained to point of no charge.
thanks
Old 12-20-2018, 08:44 AM   #11

I do not have inverter turned off. Was told while stored would not have to turn off but maybe they were wrong. Trying that next. thanks or reply
Old 12-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
How long to discharged? The inverter/charger is typically directly connected to the house batteries and not subject to the disconnect switch. There is a power draw even when turned off.

Total disconnect is often done by removing a battery cable - a disconnect switch at the battery cable is easier than removing a cable.
Thanks i will try that.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:50 AM   #13
YC1

Assuming you have it plugged in then why have you not used a voltmeter to report the voltage across the batteries?

There is no way anyone can help much without that information. A good magnum inverter could easily charge at 100 amps.

I highly suspect you have dropped a cable when replacing the batteries or the converter.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #14

If the batteries drained to less then 5 or 6 volts, the inverter/charger will not charge them. Draining them dead doesn't mean they can't be recharged.

Push and hold the boost switch, If its working, to give the house batteries a boost. If that don't work, give them a jump with a car battery or jumper pack to get the volts a bit higher and it will start recharging your batteries.

You need to turn off the inverter section of the inverter/charger if storing the MH. Some draw up to 4 amps just sitting there connected to the batteries. That's almost 100 AH a 24 hour day. 4 days and nothing left.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries