Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #15
ok had a brain f**t...

Money is tight and I hate when things dont work. Had a thought. Until I take the time and $ to have someone repair properly, would this work?: identify at the house batteries the hot link with the coach battery and put in a disconnect switch that I would throw when we are dry camping to disconnect and back on when driving? Is this too Mickey Mouse for a short term fix?

2006 Newmar Scottsdale
Grand Cherokee GRT8TOAD !
lezmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #16
Newmar Owners Club
Why don't you just disconnect the chassis battery from the solenoid. The alternator will still charge the chassis battery when the engine is running and the converter will still charge the coach batteries when plugged into shore power. Just make sure you isolate and insulate the hot wire from everything.

2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #17
Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
lezmark, the link between the house and chassis battery is in that box. It is some 3/8" busbar between the "Salesman" relay and the isolation relay. If you can get to the connections you can remove it, but it does not bend so you'll have to remove both ends to get it off.

How about this, find the wire from that box that goes to your chassis battery and try disconnecting it from there? IIRC, my Ford-based chassis has a wire from the box to a hex bolt on the battery terminal connector, it should be easy to disconnect it there. Of course, you'll have to tape up the wire well so you don't accidentally short your house batteries! You can always put your switch in there.
Stewart, Brenda and kids
2008 Newmar Canyon Star 3410
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #18

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Did you have your rv plugged in, solar panel operating, or generator running, or another charge in use when you took your measurement? If so things may be working properly. If you have the "bird" type setup, then anytime either bank of batteries sees a charge voltage it will pull a large solenoid in and combine the batteries.
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #19
I actually established it was the battery cut off switch. In my Newmar, the nice little box that holds it is conveniently located up behind an air vent and the air cleaner right up top of the engine compartment. I knew what had to be done but i just couldnt get in there well enough to see and i didnt want to take a chance crossing wires or something and took it to a local guy. He charged me just over $200 to replace. In this case, money well spent and all is now well!.

2006 Newmar Scottsdale
Grand Cherokee GRT8TOAD !
lezmark is offline   Reply With Quote