Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2015, 05:39 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coach Battery Mystery - Please help!

OK, I would like to see if you guys could assist me with a coach battery dilemma.
First of all let me say I have 2 coach 12v batteries wired in parallel. They have worked fine for the last two years. On my trip this weekend, I could not get the coach batteries to work at all when I turned them on from the kill switch. I checked them both with a multimeter and they read 12.58 volts each. I went back inside and turned the batteries on - nothing.

Several years ago I installed a lever that I could drop from my chassis battery to the coach batteries in case I needed an extra boost starting the engine. I dropped the lever, went in side turned on the chassis batteries and voila they work fine and read full charge on the info station. I go back outside and lift the chassis lever and when I come back in no battery power at all.

I start the engine and drop the lever. I have coach battery power again. Voltage on Chassis battery 14.28 (alternator is going), so with the lever down the coach batteries should charge as well, but they read 12.58 volts as before.

Do I have a bad cell in the coach batteries that is keeping them from functioning? Marine batteries sealed so I can't add water. Thoughts??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2015, 06:26 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I think your 'kill switch' is operating the battery isolation solenoid. If that solenoid is bad, due to arced contacts or burnt electromagnet, it won't connect the batteries. Not sure what you are referring to with your 'lever,' is it a switch or something else? I don't think your house or chassis batteries are bad, just not connecting. Make sure the Battery Isolation Relay is working and remove and clean all battery cable connections, including ground connections.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:24 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I recently lost house battery & charging power... was working fine, then not......after pulling out some of my remaining hair, I discovered that the main ground cable connection to the chassis had a broken(failed) terminal..... replaced that, reconnected, all ok... Look at all ground connections, clean all terminal points, follow each cable from/to your batteries...........
Old 09-07-2015, 11:42 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Beach has it right. You've got a bad connection somewhere.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:35 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I think your 'kill switch' is operating the battery isolation solenoid. If that solenoid is bad, due to arced contacts or burnt electromagnet, it won't connect the batteries. Not sure what you are referring to with your 'lever,' is it a switch or something else? I don't think your house or chassis batteries are bad, just not connecting. Make sure the Battery Isolation Relay is working and remove and clean all battery cable connections, including ground connections.
I have three batteries side by side. 1 for engine and 2 for the coach. I have a connecting lever between the engine battery and 1 of the coach batteries where I can connect them all if I need extra starting power for the engine. Everything works and passes through the solenoid if I drop the lever, but if I raise it nothing.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:36 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks, I will go through and check all of the connections today.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:49 AM   #7
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Start with the batteries in question with a voltmeter. Do not tug or pull on wires as you go. You might accidently fix the problem. Carefully follow the wires from the positive side. Measure anywhere you can. As suggested, if you come to a solenoid post, measure the other large post. If the voltage is not the same, then measure the voltage on the small terminals. If there is 12 volts on one small terminal and zero on the other then the solenoid is bad.

Post a picture of any questionable areas. This is like finding a leaky hose. You just need to follow the hose.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:57 PM   #8

Be sure to remove the cable terminals from the batteries and clean the battery posts and inside the clamp terminals. Scuff them good and shiny and then reassemble. Coarse sandpaper works well.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:10 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"creativead".....What kind of battery kill switch are you talking about. If it's just a small toggle switch, it typically powers a solenoid that actually turns the batteries on. You need to check the solenoid.

If it's a large mechanical switch, it's not uncommon for them to go bad internally and fail.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks, If it will ever stop raining in GA long enough for me to clean all the contacts I will check the connections and solenoid. Hope it's just the connections as the thought of finding the solenoid part for my 23 year old coach is daunting.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativead View Post
Thanks, If it will ever stop raining in GA long enough for me to clean all the contacts I will check the connections and solenoid. Hope it's just the connections as the thought of finding the solenoid part for my 23 year old coach is daunting.
Battery isolation solenoids haven't changed much in many decades. You just need to make sure your new one meets or exceeds the requirements of your application. A starter solenoid is only rated for short time use, the solenoid you need is for 'continuous duty' since it's switched on and continues to conduct power for long periods of time.

This is a continuous duty solenoid:

http://www.amazon.com/SOLENOID-GOLF-...iglink20599-20

But this is more commonly used in RVs:

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...ers/002733.htm

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:36 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like he's using a standard knife type battery disconnect switch between the house and chassis batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/WirthCo-20109-...connect+switch
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks to all for your help. It was indeed a loose negative on the battery way in the back of the compartment. Got all the contacts cleaned and it works like a charm. Thanks again!
Old 09-14-2015, 07:56 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Suspect list:
1: Bad connection, Most likely one end or the other of the negative but do not discount the positive

2: Blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker.. There is SUPPOSED to be one or the other in the Positive battery lead.

Tags
battery