Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2018, 10:34 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTD View Post
Forgive my "slowness"...

OK on most of this - just want to clarify about the setting of the GAS/ELECTRIC/OFF choice and whether it matters?

Normally, on my system I have 3 options for each zone - OFF, GAS, or ELECTRIC. Electric makes my roof Heat Pumps come on. Gas makes the AH furnace come on (if it is set to DIESEL or ELECTRIC)

Or do I set the zones for GAS and if I leave the DIESEL and ELECTRIC buttons off that the engine will provide the AH heating?

I do have the feature where the AH preheats my motor, so I am trying to understand if that is the circuit that will somehow heat the coach too (without the DIESEL button being on)?

Sorry for the micro questions, but I am hoping to fully understand the system so I use it correctly... and can troubleshoot correctly should there be an issue.
Ok, in your case GAS = Furnace. Use this mode for the AH.

The preheat switch you leave OFF, that is just to preheat the engine.

Think of it this way, it's no different than being parked other than the diesel switch is optional when main engine is hot and running.

The engine itself will circulate heat back to the AH when engine is running. It's entirely up to you if you want to leave the AH diesel switch on or not.

The diesel button only controls the burner kicking on if the temp drops low enough in the AH, it performs no other function. The circulation from the engine is mechanical when engine is running, and thus automatic or rather always circulating when engine running.

One possible case for choosing to leave the diesel switch ON would be if the engine is not warm yet and it's really cold out, and house is demanding heat. The burner will keep the AH hot until engine is hot enough to keep up.

In simplest form, road mode heating would be GAS mode on thermostats, Diesel switch your preference, preheat off.

Hope that makes sense.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2018, 01:48 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTD View Post
Can you clarify this a bit as I have the AH 450D.

Are you saying to turn my controller to the HEAT SETTING, but then go to each ZONE and set them to OFF?

And I should leave both the DIESEL and ELECTRIC buttons off as well (the buttons that normally turn on the Aqua Hot)?

I assume leave the ENGINE PREHEAT off too? Or is that the circuit that actually gets used in this?
Spaceball summarized it best writing...
Thermostats (ON and) set to furnace mode, set your temp and go. Coupled with dash heat you should be plenty toasty throughout the coach.

Except for very quick heat right at startup, I don't think you'll ever find a need for diesel-burner heat while driving down the road. The engine will provide more than enough heat for your AH system. You may as well turn off ELECTRIC and DIESEL while under way. ELECTRIC won't work unless you're plugged into shore power or have the generator running. DIESEL burner can be used while driving but is probably not needed since your engine will generate all the heat you need. The DIESEL burner is primarily used while parked (especially while boon docking) to provide general cabin heat and quick hot water.

The engine preheat system is only used to preheat the engine so that it starts more easily. Once the engine is started, it serves no practical function so it may as well be turned off while traveling on the road.
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #17
TTD

Perfect... thank you!
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:13 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Best of luck on your winter travels. I’m getting the itch just thinking about it. We, too, are planning a Winter trip from ND to ORI, Indio, CA. Forecast is for a mild Winter. At the moment I’m sitting in our coach waiting for the fresh water tank to drain as insurance to protect the coach until we head south.
Happy Winter traveling.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:59 PM   #19

A lot of good information out there on this one. Diesel Burner is a lot cheaper to run than your generator.

We always use the Diesel Heat for supplemental heat as we have a 400D and only the 450's have the engine loop and engine preheater as well. Also the three pumps instead of two.

Apparently most of the coaches under 500K seem to have the 400 series or something similar due to the extra cost of the Engine loop. The front dash heater sure don't cut in in cold weather.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:18 PM   #20

I have the 400D model. Does engine heat circulate through the AH unit, or do I use the burner?
markgott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:07 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgott View Post
I have the 400D model. Does engine heat circulate through the AH unit, or do I use the burner?
I'm not sure what my model number is and it's not near me to check it out. However, I can say that the engine, when running, circulates hot coolant to the aqua hot system for general heat and hot water needs. For our purposes, the engine, while going down the road, provides adequate heat for the AH and we have not found it necessary to use the diesel burner in addition to the engine. When we reach a destination and set up camp - we activate the diesel burner or AC1/2 for heat.

Others say that they find it necessary to use the diesel burner even during travel time with the engine running.

You could check it out on your next trip by leaving the diesel burner OFF for your first 20 miles. Then stop and turn on the hot water at the kitchen or bathroom sink. If it's hot - you just answered your question.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:07 PM   #22

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushy View Post
You could check it out on your next trip by leaving the diesel burner OFF for your first 20 miles. Then stop and turn on the hot water at the kitchen or bathroom sink. If it's hot - you just answered your question.
This would be my advise as well. Also, you could turn your thermostat zone 1 to furnace, and see if you get heat out of your front heat exchangers.
I'm thinking if the 400D has no engine pre-heat, there may be no engine coolant lines running to the AH. If this is the case, you will need to run the burner while going down the road.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:03 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
My Ventana and previous Dutch Star were both put together with no engine preheat. Still, they both have coolant lines from the engine to the AH and we’re both quite effective as a heat source for the AH.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:54 AM   #24

Quote:
You have to use the burner, you have two pumps and no recirculating lines to the engine
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:37 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I can't see from your small avatar what brand/model coach you have. That information would be most helpful in this discussion. (Or did I miss it somewhere earlier in this thread?)

Suggestion: You might want to edit your personal settings to include a signature line that's added to all your posts. That signature line should include coach year/brand/model plus whatever other identifiers you want to include.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:33 PM   #26

Ty for all the Q&A. As we are looking to upgrade to a DP. Answered a lot of questions I had and some I didn’t.
RWDJR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:37 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDJR. View Post
Ty for all the Q&A. As we are looking to upgrade to a DP. Answered a lot of questions I had and some I didn’t.

Same here. This has been a very educational thread for me as well and certainly has clarified much of my confusion. Only owning my first ever motorhome for a few months has had me feeling like I've been drinking out of a fire hose trying to learn what RV'ng is all about. Many thanks to all who have contributed. Nice to see a forum displaying genuine helpful information rather then snarky sarcastic replies.
MI FLA Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:48 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI FLA Mike View Post
Same here. This has been a very educational thread for me as well and certainly has clarified much of my confusion. Only owning my first ever motorhome for a few months has had me feeling like I've been drinking out of a fire hose trying to learn what RV'ng is all about. Many thanks to all who have contributed. Nice to see a forum displaying genuine helpful information rather then snarky sarcastic replies.
Lessons from drinking from a/the fire hose.

Use a Glass to Drink from.

Freeze the water,

Add Adult mixer of Choice.

IMHO the best advice is to get/look for/see if you have, the engine heater on the RV Aqua Hot.

Best of Luck,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat