Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2018, 02:38 PM   #1

Coach heat while driving

In summer, we run our roof top AC units while driving. What do we use for cold weather driving? Do we run our AquaHot system or rooftop heat pumps?
markgott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2018, 02:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgott View Post
In summer, we run our roof top AC units while driving. What do we use for cold weather driving? Do we run our AquaHot system or rooftop heat pumps?

Totally depends on how cold it is. I’ve never needed anything but dash heat.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Hopefully you will run the heat off the engine, we just set the heat to the Temp we want and as we drive the engine heat will heat the AH to keep the Coach Toasty - from one end to the other - even on the Coldest of Travel days - Added benefit is a long hot shower at the end of the drive.

Simple and Free,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:47 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Don't mean to be flippant but you have several options and I agree, it totally depends on the weather and comfort needed. You have dash heat, AC heat pumps and aqua hot. One way or another you will be plenty warm. I wouldn't over think it.

Unless you are asking whether you can run the aqua hot while driving, if that is the question, they yes, absolutely.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:07 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
To summarize what others have said, here are your options...

Dash heat - probably the heater of first choice while driving down the road. Uses engine heat just like your heater in the car.
AquaHot system (using engine heat) turn off the diesel burner and AC heat elements and run your furnace/thermostat as normal. The engine will provide all the heat you need to the AquaHot and ultimately through the coach ducts. This is preferable when traveling in very cold weather in order to force heat into the water bay to protect it from freezing.
Rooftop units - I've never found a need to use them during cold weather driving.
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:41 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If your coach has the AH 450D, or 600D, you can just turn on your thermostat to 'furnace' mode, and get heat thru your AH, supplied from your engine. If that is still not enough heat, turn on the diesel burner switch on the AH.
You also have your dash heat, like any vehicle.
I wouldn't bother with generator running and heat pumps while traveling.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:42 PM   #7

On my ole Dutch Star/Spartan/Cummins if my wife wants it cooler I run the Onan Quiet Diesel generator and turn on both roof air conditioners. And, if I want more heat, I run the generator and plug in a couple of 1,000 watt box heaters.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Yes, depending upon outside temperature. Heat pumps often do not work well below 38-40°F. We however run the LP furnaces to keep the basement wet bay and water tanks from freezing.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
If your coach has the AH 450D, or 600D, you can just turn on your thermostat to 'furnace' mode, and get heat thru your AH, supplied from your engine. If that is still not enough heat, turn on the diesel burner switch on the AH.

You also have your dash heat, like any vehicle.

I wouldn't bother with generator running and heat pumps while traveling.

I have the 400D model, which does not have the engine connection. I would then need to use diesel burner switch. Do I need the generator running to operate the fans?
markgott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:44 AM   #10
TTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushy View Post
AquaHot system (using engine heat) turn off the diesel burner and AC heat elements and run your furnace/thermostat as normal. The engine will provide all the heat you need to the AquaHot and ultimately through the coach ducts. This is preferable when traveling in very cold weather in order to force heat into the water bay to protect it from freezing.
Can you clarify this a bit as I have the AH 450D.

Are you saying to turn my controller to the HEAT SETTING, but then go to each ZONE and set them to OFF?

And I should leave both the DIESEL and ELECTRIC buttons off as well (the buttons that normally turn on the Aqua Hot)?

I assume leave the ENGINE PREHEAT off too? Or is that the circuit that actually gets used in this?
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer View Post
On my ole Dutch Star/Spartan/Cummins if my wife wants it cooler I run the Onan Quiet Diesel generator and turn on both roof air conditioners. And, if I want more heat, I run the generator and plug in a couple of 1,000 watt box heaters.
I'm thinking along your lines. I have a 2002 and I run box fans along with the roof airs in summer. The March trip we are planning I'm thinking a 1500 watt heater to help heat the coach along with the dash heater.
Coachmen Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I have the 400D model, which does not have the engine connection. I would then need to use diesel burner switch. Do I need the generator running to operate the fans?
Everything is 12 volt with exception of the electric heating element. The diesel burner, circulation pumps, and fans are all 12v. Should not be a need for generator, engine alternator should keep up no problem unless it is not charging the house batteries for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTD View Post
Can you clarify this a bit as I have the AH 450D.

Are you saying to turn my controller to the HEAT SETTING, but then go to each ZONE and set them to OFF?

And I should leave both the DIESEL and ELECTRIC buttons off as well (the buttons that normally turn on the Aqua Hot)?

I assume leave the ENGINE PREHEAT off too? Or is that the circuit that actually gets used in this?
Leaving your aqua hot switches ON is no problem. The electric one wont matter if you're not plugged in. Diesel will fire as needed and/or engine will provide also if equipped, you won't really notice. It hurts nothing to run the diesel burner going down the road if it needs extra heat. Thermostats set to furnace mode, set your temp and go. Coupled with dash heat you should be plenty toasty throughout the coach.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:39 AM   #13
TTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceball View Post
Leaving your aqua hot switches ON is no problem. The electric one wont matter if you're not plugged in. Diesel will fire as needed and/or engine will provide also if equipped, you won't really notice. It hurts nothing to run the diesel burner going down the road if it needs extra heat. Thermostats set to furnace mode, set your temp and go. Coupled with dash heat you should be plenty toasty throughout the coach.
Forgive my "slowness"...

OK on most of this - just want to clarify about the setting of the GAS/ELECTRIC/OFF choice and whether it matters?

Normally, on my system I have 3 options for each zone - OFF, GAS, or ELECTRIC. Electric makes my roof Heat Pumps come on. Gas makes the AH furnace come on (if it is set to DIESEL or ELECTRIC)

Or do I set the zones for GAS and if I leave the DIESEL and ELECTRIC buttons off that the engine will provide the AH heating?

I do have the feature where the AH preheats my motor, so I am trying to understand if that is the circuit that will somehow heat the coach too (without the DIESEL button being on)?

Sorry for the micro questions, but I am hoping to fully understand the system so I use it correctly... and can troubleshoot correctly should there be an issue.
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
No, you won't need your generator for the AH fans. They are 12V.

Tags
heat