Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly View Post
Hi ChasA and WA8

Thanks for your comments. I will add some more information in an attempt to clarify any confusion regarding my problem with the Coach Heater switch.

I have a 2007 Itasca Sunrise, 35', Workhorse 24 chassis. The coach heater fan switch that I am referring to is located on my lower dash. It is a high, off, low, rocker type switch. It is part of the motor aid system as you suggested. I have two floor registers, one up front just behind the driver/passenger seats and one in the bedroom. When I select coach heat, air blows out of both registers. This is totally independent of the propane furnace, however both systems use the same heat ducts and registers! My problem is that I have no fan speed on low speed but lots of air on high speed. The fan works fine, no grinding noise, providing lots of heat when driving. I have checked out the resistor c/w thermal fuse using a digital meter and it appears to be fine. Even with the resistor removed from the system, the fan will still run on high speed! So, the bottom line, is that I do have a problem with the low speed coach heater fan.
Knightly
I left home today heading south for the winter. I stopped in at a Roy Robinson's RV Dealer and installed a new resistor that I had ordered earlier. It turns out that the resistor is not the problem after all. As mentioned earlier, I have checked out the rocker switch and it is working properly. I have been unable to find a fuse that supplies power to the fan. It works fine whether the resistor is in place or not, so there has to be another source of power for the slow speed. Anyway, I am at a loss as to what the problem could be!

Knightly
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I do see confusion between the "House" heater (Furnace) and the Truck heater (Dash heater) in this thread.

The front floor register on my rig is a "house" device
The dash heat vents are under the dash, same as on a car or pick up truck..

On mine, in addition to the resistor, there is a relay.
Request for WA8YXM,

I have been reviewing the suggestions and noted you mentioned that in addition to the resistor, you also have a relay. As mentioned in above threads, I have replaced the resistor but my coach heater switch still does not work on low speed. I have been unable to locate any kind of relay.
Could you advise where your relay is located?

Thanks,

Knightly
2007 Itasca 35A, W24 chassis.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:43 PM   #17

Quote:
I have a 2007 Itasca 35A, W24 chassis. The low speed mode no longer functions on the coach heater, dash mounted, high/off/low switch. The fan works fine on high speed and blows lots of heat through the floor register just behind and between the two front seats.

I have read all the threads on this issue but am still not sure where to look find the problem. If it is a resistor, where is it located? Is it under the floor and accessible through the dog house cover or is it located under the hood somewhere? What does it look like? How would I test it to confirm that it is malfunctioning?

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Knightly
---------------
Today I had same problem with an Evans Tempcon "coach heater". I have 2002 itasca 34D.
Esewhere on forum there are instructions to remove waterheater to get to "Coach Heater". As for the resistor inside the blower unit, I found that one of the fusible links was dead. I found a appropriate replacement link for under $ 3.00 at Radio Shack.

My advice is to leave as much wire on the ends of the old fuseable link in the resistor as possible, cutting out only the body of the link. Using the wires of the old link, connect the new ends of the new link using crimping connectors.

You could solder the resistor in but the heat from the iron may destroy the new link.

Consider replacing all links, even the good one(s) because of low cost and all the time needed to get to the heater. As always bench test by applying 12 volts to various ports of heater connector. The black wire is the ground. My CH blower has the ability for 3 speeds but the cockpit coach switch has only a high-off-low rocker switch. Good luck! Dan
Old 05-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
coach heater low speed u/s

I replaced the resistor with a new part but the low speed still did not work. The resistor on my coach is located in the plenum under the hood. The rocker switch checked out fine. There is a small fuse that came attached to the resistor. So, at the moment, I have no idea what is causing the problem with the low speed part of the coach heater.

Knightly
Old 09-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #19

Hi Knightly 2007
what type of M H and what brand? are you referring to.
You said you found the resistor YEAH.
Where is it exactly?
What does it looks like?
Is it inside a box under the hood or what.
We have a Winnie Chieftain 2000 35u
Hope to get an answer.
Quebec36
quebec36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:15 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by quebec36 View Post
Hi Knightly 2007
what type of M H and what brand? are you referring to.
You said you found the resistor YEAH.
Where is it exactly?
What does it looks like?
Is it inside a box under the hood or what.
We have a Winnie Chieftain 2000 35u
Hope to get an answer.
Quebec36
Hi there. I have a 2007 Itasca Sunrise, 35A with a W24 Workhorse chassis. The resistor is located on the heater box under the hood. Facing the front, it is on the left hand side. It is held in with 2 screws. Once removed, it looks like a coil of wire with a small resistor attached. A new one cost me $18.00 from a RV dealer. My problem is that I have no low speed. The new resistor did not repair the problem. I tested the two speed switch and is fine so I never did fine the actual problem. The fan still works but only at high speed.

I hope this helps you with your problem.

Knightly
Old 09-08-2014, 09:04 PM   #21

Hmmmm, I found my resistor mounted on the housing of the "house" heater. Send me a pm and I will send you a picture of my setup. I am unable to post pictures. Best wishes, Dan
Old 09-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #22

Coach heater picture

Hope to have a picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coach house heater.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	73393  
Old 09-09-2014, 07:22 AM   #23

Hi
I have a chieftain 2000 35u and I have the same problem power on high speed but no low speed
Well I found my problem .
It is the resistor attached to the unit behind the water heater.
Remove the small sheet metal plate about 9 by 7 in. And you will see alittle plate about3 by 1 in.
Attached with 2 screws, that will be the resistor you are looking for .
There are 2 little springs and 2 fusible link .
In mine one of the link was burned.
Called littsinn dealer right besides winnie's plant and they want 56.oo plus tax .
I am still trying to find a cheaper price.
Unfortunately there is no numbers on that resistor.
I hope it help.
Quebec 36
quebec36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #24

Quebec,
the fusible link is identical to the one on the other side of the resistor. Radio Shack will find a replacement for you by reading the codes on the link for about $3.00. Because of the work getting to the heater, consider replacing both links.
My heater is a three speed fan, but controlled by a two speed switch.
See post 17 for advice about how to install the links.
Likely the link blew because of contact of the fan to the housing. I will try to find the replacement/adjustment white paper written by others dealing with this contact.

Since you have the water heater out, I recommend replacing the back flow valves located on back of wh. I am told that they will fail. Much discussion about the valves is on the forum.

Finally, if you don't have a removable bottom access panel to the back of the water heater, consider cutting the bottom panel and replacing with a removable one.
With best wishes, Dan
Old 09-15-2014, 11:21 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
mx08453 & quebec36

Thanks for the suggestions. My propane furnace is mounted at the very back of my unit. Pulling it apart would be a lot of work for little gain. I think I will just live with the one speed on the fan or until I have to remove the entire heater for other maintenance.

Thanks,

Knightly
Old 10-09-2014, 10:20 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coach Heater Low Speed

Knightly...I too have coach heaters operated by the High/Low speed rocker switch on the lower part of my dash.
I have two heaters that blow warm air up through the floor registers. One heater located in the hot water heater bay "way back under" and the other heater is way back in my large storage bay aft of my potable water tank. These heaters are just about impossible to reach unless you are a very small framed person.
My heaters only work in low speed mode. In high speed, fuse blows for the heaters and puts out my rear vision monitor screen. As I ever hardly use the coach heaters, I haven't followed up on the problem.
Drifterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Request for WA8YXM,

I have been reviewing the suggestions and noted you mentioned that in addition to the resistor, you also have a relay.

Sadly I can not, I **THINK** it is one of the relays on the front side of the firewall, near the main fuse box. but I am not sure, it could be in a few other places as well.

The blower system is a common GM design with two relays one for high speed one for low speed. That is about all I can tell you. I have yet to find the relay.

OMEY if he is still around, should know where it hides.

Tags
heater