Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coach Heater Low Speed U/S

I have a 2007 Itasca 35A, W24 chassis. The low speed mode no longer functions on the coach heater, dash mounted, high/off/low switch. The fan works fine on high speed and blows lots of heat through the floor register just behind and between the two front seats.

I have read all the threads on this issue but am still not sure where to look find the problem. If it is a resistor, where is it located? Is it under the floor and accessible through the dog house cover or is it located under the hood somewhere? What does it look like? How would I test it to confirm that it is malfunctioning?

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Knightly

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #2

Knightly,

To obtain the different speeds the fan speed switch routes the current through one or more resistors. They usually look like a short open coil spring and often are placed in the heater plenum (near the fan) so the fan cools the resistor coils.

Adron

Old 10-22-2013, 11:07 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Adron,

I am pretty sure I have located the resistor in the plenum, as suggested. I just got the unit back from the shop today where the coach a/c system leak was repaired and recharged. I hope to remove the resistor tomorrow. I am not sure how to test the resistor but will replace it regardless.

Thanks for the help, Derek

Derek
Old 10-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm going to flag this topic in case I have a similar problem with my 35A.

As a side note, I replaced that front register with one from home depot that closes. There was too much heat coming out of that register, even on low. Very little heat was coming out of the rear registers. The closing type register allowed for more even heat distribution in the entire MH. I think it also gets more heat to the rear bay areas. BTW, see this link (starts on reply 6) on how I got heat to the water pump bay. It's not heated from the factory.

Inverter in 35A

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fran,

I tried to replace my closing type register but could not remove the old one from the floor. It appears to be well glued in place!
How did you get the original front register out of the floor?
Old 10-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's been a while, but I don't recall having an issue with it. Maybe a thin putty knife? Your reply suggests you already have a closing type register. My original register could not be closed. I replaced mine with a closing type to reduce the amount of heat by the driver seat.

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #7

There's been lot's of threads about the fan totally failing. Here is a writeup from one. Most of the heaters are behind the water heater. Not sure on your 35A. I removed mine without pulling the water heater. Left the heater core in too, so I didn't have to break into the cooling system.

In the writeup, the resistor is talked about near figure 40.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rockwood27. Sorry, I misspoke. My front floor register is not a closing type! It is open all the time.
Knightly
Old 10-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Further to my problem with the coach heater fan speed, I have confirmed that the switch is working fine. I have defrost fans that blow air on the windshield and they use the identical switch. I "switched the switches" and the heater toggle switch worked fine on low speed for the fans. However, the coach fan works on high speed but not on low speed. I have removed and inspected the resistor, checked the continuity and it appears to be fine. The coach heater fan will continue to work on high speed only even when the resistor is unplugged! Obviously, the problem is somewhere else or I am not testing the resistor properly. It looks fine, no burnt or broken wires. I am perplexed!! Can anybody suggest how to test the resistor to confirm whether it is serviceable or not?

Knightly
2007 Itasca 35A, W24, HHR Toad, Blue Ox Tow System
Old 10-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly View Post
Further to my problem with the coach heater fan speed, I have confirmed that the switch is working fine. I have defrost fans that blow air on the windshield and they use the identical switch. I "switched the switches" and the heater toggle switch worked fine on low speed for the fans. However, the coach fan works on high speed but not on low speed. I have removed and inspected the resistor, checked the continuity and it appears to be fine. The coach heater fan will continue to work on high speed only even when the resistor is unplugged! Obviously, the problem is somewhere else or I am not testing the resistor properly. It looks fine, no burnt or broken wires. I am perplexed!! Can anybody suggest how to test the resistor to confirm whether it is serviceable or not?

Knightly
2007 Itasca 35A, W24, HHR Toad, Blue Ox Tow System
It's not uncommon for the blower to work on high only when the resistor package fails. Usually looks like this one.

Geo Metro Standard Motor Products HVAC Blower Motor Resistor RU-460 at Auto Parts Network

More info here:

Car Heater Repair Tips: Fixing a Blower Motor: The Family Handyman
Old 10-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #11

on some vehicles high blower is controlled by a high blower relay.You may have a seperate fuse for low.with low on do you have voltage to one or both sides of resistor ? Do you have voltage at switch on low ?
Old 10-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #12

Hi Knightly,
I think you're chasing a problem that doesn't exist. The floor registers are from your furnace. And the fan control for the furnace is on the thermostat on the one place panel. The switch on your dash is for the fan in the bedroom, which Winnebago puts in its gas coaches. The heat is supplied by your engine. It is part of the motor aid system that also heats the water in the water heater as you drive. You can try running your engine running your dash heat and go back to the bedroom, and find the outlet, usually low on a wall, then check the hi/low switch on the dash.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do see confusion between the "House" heater (Furnace) and the Truck heater (Dash heater) in this thread.

The front floor register on my rig is a "house" device
The dash heat vents are under the dash, same as on a car or pick up truck..

On mine, in addition to the resistor, there is a relay.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi ChasA and WA8

Thanks for your comments. I will add some more information in an attempt to clarify any confusion regarding my problem with the Coach Heater switch.

I have a 2007 Itasca Sunrise, 35', Workhorse 24 chassis. The coach heater fan switch that I am referring to is located on my lower dash. It is a high, off, low, rocker type switch. It is part of the motor aid system as you suggested. I have two floor registers, one up front just behind the driver/passenger seats and one in the bedroom. When I select coach heat, air blows out of both registers. This is totally independent of the propane furnace, however both systems use the same heat ducts and registers! My problem is that I have no fan speed on low speed but lots of air on high speed. The fan works fine, no grinding noise, providing lots of heat when driving. I have checked out the resistor c/w thermal fuse using a digital meter and it appears to be fine. Even with the resistor removed from the system, the fan will still run on high speed! So, the bottom line, is that I do have a problem with the low speed coach heater fan.
Knightly

Tags
heater