Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2019, 10:31 AM   #1

Coach heaters using diesel fuel

Does anyone have any knowledge on DP RVs that have diesel fueled heaters, on whether it is normal for the exhaust from said heaters to smell the same as a diesel engine exhaust pipe?

We are in a RV park and our neighbors coach just about poisons us when they use their heater.
When approached about the smell, the owners claim it is normal and nothing can be done about it! I have trouble believing this.

Interested in hearing from other folks on this subject.
Red Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #2

The smell is similar and can be annoying. Switching it over to electric is the considerate thing to do if it bothers a neighbor, but some just don't care. They could also route the exhaust up above the coach with a Gen Turi, but then again if they don't care, it won't happen.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:46 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well, he's right!

If your rig has a propane forced air furnace, it too is spewing out carbon monoxide! Just doesn't have the odor of spent diesel !
Old 01-02-2019, 10:47 AM   #4

Every one should carry one of these, some places it is a must. Or stick a potato in the pipe.

https://www.campingworld.com/camco-g...venting-system
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:51 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Exhaust smell is normal for a diesel fired hydronic unit. Most do have one or two electric elements that can give a small amount of heat for a short while but if you want to shower or more heat then you will need the burner in most cases.
I run mine on shore power if possible and only turn the burner on when necessary. Can't use a GenTuri since the unit and it's exhaust is under a slide.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
He can use the electric mode on his hydronic heater for hot water for sure. Some of them like mine do not have enough watts to heat the whole house in electric mode. If it is above 40º we use the heat pumps for heat. If it is below 40º, we have to use the diesel burner, but doubtful that anybody has their windows open, anyway. We do try to be considerate of others and minimize it's use in tight quarters.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
He can use the electric mode on his hydronic heater for hot water for sure. Some of them like mine do not have enough watts to heat the whole house in electric mode. If it is above 40º we use the heat pumps for heat. If it is below 40º, we have to use the diesel burner, but doubtful that anybody has their windows open, anyway. We do try to be considerate of others and minimize it's use in tight quarters.
We do the very same. Wish more parks had larger sites but that isn't the norm. Never have had a complaint and we camp in cool weather and have to use the Diesel Burner at night after the heat pumps aren't effective also. I really don't see that it should be a problem when windows are closed.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
We do the very same. Wish more parks had larger sites but that isn't the norm. Never have had a complaint and we camp in cool weather and have to use the Diesel Burner at night after the heat pumps aren't effective also. I really don't see that it should be a problem when windows are closed.
Had an inconsiderate person within 6 ft of our rig blowing the diesel exhaust directly at us. Thought it was going to kill us during the night. It should be illegal. No different than pointing a gun at you. Next time I will pipe my generator exhaust into their coach.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Had an inconsiderate person within 6 ft of our rig blowing the diesel exhaust directly at us. Thought it was going to kill us during the night. It should be illegal. No different than pointing a gun at you. Next time I will pipe my generator exhaust into their coach.
LOL! It's a FIXED exhaust pipe!

Do you think part of his set-up routine is to redirect his furnace exhaust pipe towards your M.H ?
Old 01-02-2019, 11:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Well you just made my case for larger sites, sure hope I don't park next to you
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Well, he's right!

If your rig has a propane forced air furnace, it too is spewing out carbon monoxide! Just doesn't have the odor of spent diesel !
Diesel exhaust contains very little carbon monoxide compared to other fossil fuels.Carbon Monoxide Headquarters
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Well you just made my case for larger sites, sure hope I don't park next to you
He could have used electric heaters. The fumes from the diesel get into coaches no matter how well they are sealed. I will never park next to a coach with that running again so you need not worry. Totally inconsiderate in my opinion.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:30 AM   #13

Ps his unit was spewing out such a blue haze you could not see between the coaches.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Ps his unit was spewing out such a blue haze you could not see between the coaches.
Well then his burner desperately needs servicing!

Tags
diesel, fuel, heat, heater