Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Coach motion with Stabilizers down

We're all set up with the stabilizers (levellers) down, but we still get coach movement when walking around inside, or when we have a windy day. Can this be eliminated?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't believe you can totally stop it from moving. I retract and then level again every two weeks. It's kind of te shake, rattle and roll syndrome. I especially like when the washer is in the spin cycle. I'll lay down and get a relaxing massage.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sometimes you need to put the jacks (levelers) down an inch or so more......that takes more of the load off the tires and puts it on the more firmer jacks. Give it a try.....Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #4

There have been times when I thought the jacks were down and one or both of the rears were not down all the way. Or, as suggested, go into manual mode and put them all down another inch or two to compensate for mushy ground.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oh, I forgot to mention that I always use 2x8x16", "homemade" jackpads.......makes it solid as a rock....practically unmovable! Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi michguy,
The short answer is no, there may always be some motion. The previous posts gave the best things to try to minimize the motion. I can level with the same process and sometimes the coach has no movement and sometimes it has a slight movement. The wife feels it, I do not. Therefore, any additional corrections are not done until I get tired of the whining.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We eliminated a lot of movement by purchasing "Slide stabilizer Jacks". They are inexpensive and really help support the big slide and stability. Lot of weight hanging over the side.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleyman View Post
We eliminated a lot of movement by purchasing "Slide stabilizer Jacks". They are inexpensive and really help support the big slide and stability. Lot of weight hanging over the side.
And what happens to the slide if your main jacks settle and the slide jacks don't?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #9

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi michguy,
The short answer is no, there may always be some motion. The previous posts gave the best things to try to minimize the motion. I can level with the same process and sometimes the coach has no movement and sometimes it has a slight movement. The wife feels it, I do not. Therefore, any additional corrections are not done until I get tired of the whining.
I'm glad I am not the only one who has that whining noise ...the rocking don't bother me ,but the noise dose.

Wayne
www.mudflapscampingclub.com
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
My son had a lot of motion in his 5th wheel with the leveling legs down and the coach level. He decided to experiment and used several courses of cinder blocks under the front legs and rear scissor jacks (5th wheel is stationary and lived in), and it is now very solid.

I decided to try the same concept by stacking several wooden blocks under each leveling leg on my motorhome, effectively shortening the length of the leg extension. and what a significant difference. I now carry enough wooden blocks to have a higher platform for my jacks to contact, shortening the leg extension and decreasing coach motion while parked.