Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coach Net confusion

I currently have coach net Platinum Plus service.

Got an email from coach net telling me I need to renew my membership.

Three options are given Basic Gold and Premier.

The Gold button was already preselected so I assumed that Gold was my plan not thinking about Platinum at the time. So I renewed with Gold Plan.

Thinking about it later I decided to contact coach net to ask why I have a Platinum today but renewing as a gold.

They explained that Platinum has been discontinued!!!!!

After too many question I learned that the former Platinum plan offered towing for trailers and that the Gold Plan does not.

Bottom line was if I want to continue with what I have plus add some medical emergency coverage then I have to select the premier plan.

Very confusing and misleading. So be careful

Samflhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #2

Thanks, good to know, ours is just coming up for renewal.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looking at this page Coach-Net - Platinum Plus Membership , the plans are Limited ($69), Basic ($89) and Premier ($159). I'm thinkg about rejoining CoachNet after having Good Sam Roadside for the last year.

When we bought out motorhome in summer 2011, I signed us up for CoachNet and when renewal came around in summer 2012, I got a GREAT deal on Good Sam Roadside, so I switched over. How good of a deal was Good Sam Roadside? It was only $2.00 for the year! Good Sam was running a NASCAR promotion last year. You had to call in and sign up within an hour or two after the finish of a race and you would get GSR for a year at a price equal to the winners car number. Well heck yeah, I called in after Brad Keselowski in the #2 won a race and got GSR for a year for $2.

Well it's renewal time again, so I have started to compare the services and plans.

Here's a tip if you're about to make a decision on the two. Call in to GoodSam Roadside and tell them that you're comparing against CoachNet!

I just called GoodSam to check on what plan we have to make sure we have the right coverage for us. It turns out we have the base Good Sam plan that does NOT cover our car trailer, with a renewal price of $79 for the year. Coverage for our car trailer is certainly something that I prefer to have, so I asked about the upgrade to the Platinum plan and it's $189 for the year. Wow, that's not even the higest Platinum+ plan.

I mentioned to the agent that I was comparing against CoachNet and immediately the price for the Platinum dropped to $139.00 for the year, without even asking. The agent started to rattle off all the "upgrades" that go with the platinum plan and the *only* feature that we would really use is the coverage for the car trailer. Good Sam Roadside Plans

I've never been in a position where I've had to call for roadside assistance with the motorhome, but I don't want to be without coverage if it ever happens. The Good Sam agent did tell me that Good Sam has a wider coverage network, but I don't really know if that is *really* true and I can't find anything online that compares the coverage maps of the two

So now I have to decide ... in my comparision CoachNet Premier at $159.00 per year is mostly aligned with Good Sam Platinum at $139.00 per year - with the agent discount.

I've read a LOT of forum posts here and elsewhere comparing the two and it seems that user reviews are *nearly* evenly split, with what seems to be a slight edge towards CoachNet.

I still have 3 days before our Good Sam coverage expires and a week before we leave on our next RV Trip .... I guess I'll be digging through a few more posts over the next couple of days before deciding.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am also thinking of changing from GoodSam to Coachnet.

I just had a bad experience with GS. I had a flat in our driveway when starting to leave. GS called a truck tire repair shop for me but I had to pay for the service that they provided.

I could have place the call myself. Never could get a good reason for this from GS although they did refund me half the cost when I complained.

I will be watching this closely as I have to make a decision by July 1.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #5

I have had Coachnet for 12+ years now, and happily, have never had to use it for the coach, but have had to have the Toad towed (he he) a couple of times. Service has been good, albeit with limited experience.

Recently bought a new coach with Coachnet included for the first year. Thought I would call them to see if my existing account could be combined with the new one. Turns out the "free" one is basic coach only and my existing plan covers coach and toad. And sorry...no way to combine the two. So now I have CoachCoachnet. Hope I don't need either.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:30 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
I am also thinking of changing from GoodSam to Coachnet.

I just had a bad experience with GS. I had a flat in our driveway when starting to leave. GS called a truck tire repair shop for me but I had to pay for the service that they provided.
That is per the contract and not a "bad experience". They provide the service call for a tire but if they have to do anything other than mount your aired up spare (like fix the puncture in a tire) you pay for that extra.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:35 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
...I just had a bad experience with GS. I had a flat in our driveway when starting to leave. GS called a truck tire repair shop for me but I had to pay for the service that they provided.
Wizard, I'll +1 on MrD's comment-- with a few specific exceptions, Roadside Assistance plans pay for the service call, and usually the tow, up to some predetermined point. They don't pay for the repairs that made the service call necessary. You have insurance cover or service contracts to handle those.

I've had Coachnet for a year- since we bought the coach. I've had to call them twice, once including a 45 mile tow. Had to pay about $80 for a quick repair on one call, but nothing else has cost me a nickel beyond the $109 annual fee I paid.

But more to the point, I've been seriously impressed by CoachNet's organized efficiency. They answer the phone promptly; their people know what they're talking about; they call back with info update when they said they would; the service vendors dispatched called me when CoachNet said they would call to update me with an ETA; they arrived when they said they'd arrive; and after all that, someone from CoachNet calls to check that everything has gone as smoothly as possible. Its simple organization and customer service, I know-- anyone who's owned or run a business knows that-- but you also know its just not that simple to actually pull it off. All in all, compared to the cable company and other services I called when we had the S&B, CoachNet is just miles ahead!! I'll be renewing with them this summer--- even if Good Sam IS cheaper-- and I'll recommend them to anyone who asks.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I pay $11/yr for ERS coverage (coach) and $4/yr (truck) on my insurance policy and it appears that it covers everything that the Coach-Net "Basic" plan does. Am I missing something here?

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzocfi View Post
I pay $11/yr for ERS coverage (coach) and $4/yr (truck) on my insurance policy and it appears that it covers everything that the Coach-Net "Basic" plan does. Am I missing something here?
Experience and customer service for starters.

CoachNet specializes in RVs. They understand you are in a 30' or 40' 35,000lb+ RV. They won't send out a F150 with a little stinger in the bed from "Bob's Auto Repair" in the next Podunk town down the road. I've read too many horror stories about regular auto insurance companies just calling out the next closest service on their call list, having no concept that you are in a RV, not a Honda Civic. Breaking down in the family car is one thing, lot's of options to get it towed and places to have it repaired. But when an RV breaks, especially a DP, options dwindle fast. It takes specialized equipment and tow drivers who know what their doing to get it off the road without damage, and relatively few shops equipped to work on them.

And I'll 2x what JFXG wrote about customer service. I've dealt with CoachNet and they went out of their way to make a bad situation as good as they could make it. The service was far and above what I've *ever* received from any regular auto insurance company. They seem to get that it's not just a broken car, it's your home that's sitting on the side of the road. Can't say enough about them, really.

Oh, and they haven't sent me one piece of junk mail since I joined. Can't say that about Good Sam
Old 07-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I decided to go with CoachNet this time around. As noted earlier, we haven't have to use CoachNet or Good Sam Roadside in the past, but I feel that CoachNet does have the edge in consumer reviews.

$159 a year is cheap insurance in case we need assistance.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardbark View Post
Experience and customer service for starters.
Same question. I was baffled when my wife told me our Progressive coverage was only costing us $30 for the year. She claims she read good things about Progressive's Roadside Assistance on these forums but I am still a little skeptical. Should I be?
rECUpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,
I also had Coach-net when I purchased my RV and it was good in the beginning then they changed their plans and a lot was lost. They would not change a tire on my tow dolly but would on the car. Since the car is new what are they changes of needing service.

I contacted Good Sam and was told they would cover the tow dolly and the car plus everything else including, lock out, etc. So I enrolled for 3 years at $79.95 a year which was a great deal. I also was a member of their ERS way back in 1989 when I started Rving and never had a problem with their road side service even on Christmas Day.

So in conclusion I would recommend Good Sam

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,
I also had Coach-net when I purchased my RV and it was good in the beginning then they changed their plans and a lot was lost. They would not change a tire on my tow dolly but would on the car. Since the car is new what are they changes of needing service.

I contacted Good Sam and was told they would cover the tow dolly and the car plus everything else including, lock out, etc. So I enrolled for 3 years at $79.95 a year which was a great deal. I also was a member of their ERS way back in 1989 when I started Rving and never had a problem with their road side service even on Christmas Day.

So in conclusion I would recommend Good Sam

The only thing I would say is to check and see what Good Sam Roadside plan you have. When I went to renew ours, it was the $79/year plan and that plan does NOT provide any coverage for a towed vehicle, car trailer, tow-dolly, etc.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #14

I've had Coach-Net for 3 years, and they sure helped out when I developed a bad alternator on my Ford engine Class C. They kept at it contacting various Ford dealers (the dealers wouldn't even think about touching a MH), and finally found a generic truck repair shop only 30 miles away from camping location. Pulled in, the mechanic got right on it, and I was back on the road in 90 minutes.

My last Coach-Net renewal was about $109 I think and it covered all family vehicles ... NOW they want $159 for that level of coverage. A hefty increase indeed. Next spring when it's renewal time I'll have to do some price comparison between Coach-Net and Good Sam.