Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I have to ask, did you provide ALL of the critical information to the Coach-Net Service provider on the very first call?

Such as :

Length of Coach
Width of Coach
Weight of Coach
Rating of Front Axle
Rating of Rear Axle
Total Weight
Height of Coach
Type of Suspension
How many Air Bags
Front Cap Slide or No Slide
Transmission Model Number
Distance from Front Cap to Front Axle
Clearance from Ground to Bottom of Coach
Ease of Access

I have a file on my PC with all of this information so when I have to contact Coach-Net they get this information to ensure that they send the appropriate equipment and people to handle my coach AND trailer.

You see, every time they tow me they have to bring two trucks one for my coach and one for my 12000 lb trailer.

I've been towed by Coach-Net three times and each one was trouble free and no damage.

Breakdown Near Coburg Oregon

Breakdown in Northern British Columbia

Third Breakdown in 18 Months

Can you imagine having the wrong size truck show up after driving 200 miles to get to you in Northern British Columbia.

I would venture a guess that they did NOT have the necessary information for the service that you were expecting.

These people do NOT have crystal balls.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
My thought is why cannot CN create customer profiles where the customer (at their convenience) can go in and create this database on their own and complete the vehicle information and maybe upload a photo. It would be as detailed as the customer wants.
You blow a tire? They already have that you have a E450 chassis with Michelin XXX-XX-r16 tires. That tells CS what tire you prefer.
You have a 14 foot enclosed trailer? "You need a tow? Will we need a second truck for your trailer?"
You think you need a fuel filter? "Are you driving the 2009 Bus with the 900 HP cat motor and using a #1732 Charmin fuel filter?" Your response may be, "no I have a Brawny HD filter, but I don't have the number". Response should be, "that's fine, the other number will provide a cross reference for it to make sure that they have the right one".

You could also add notes for each driver and vehicle, such as "Kelly is hearing impaired and it may be easier to communicate thru text message or call her husband @ 919-665- (I may be crazy, but not that crazy). He can ping the car and see exactly where it is and can let you know exactly what she needs.

But then this is just the emergency management side of my brain thinking.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2017, 02:35 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
My thought is why cannot CN create customer profiles where the customer (at their convenience) can go in and create this database on their own and complete the vehicle information and maybe upload a photo. It would be as detailed as the customer wants.
You blow a tire? They already have that you have a E450 chassis with Michelin XXX-XX-r16 tires. That tells CS what tire you prefer.
You have a 14 foot enclosed trailer? "You need a tow? Will we need a second truck for your trailer?"
You think you need a fuel filter? "Are you driving the 2009 Bus with the 900 HP cat motor and using a #1732 Charmin fuel filter?" Your response may be, "no I have a Brawny HD filter, but I don't have the number". Response should be, "that's fine, the other number will provide a cross reference for it to make sure that they have the right one".

You could also add notes for each driver and vehicle, such as "Kelly is hearing impaired and it may be easier to communicate thru text message or call her husband @ 919-665- (I may be crazy, but not that crazy). He can ping the car and see exactly where it is and can let you know exactly what she needs.

But then this is just the emergency management side of my brain thinking.

Now, that is a good idea.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:55 PM   #45

I tried finding the actual "small print" of coach net regarding mobile mechanic service but couldn't find it.

Anyone knows what is "my share"(or deductible) in paying the bill for calling a mobile service?

With GS you have to pay for mileage/time for the guy to go back to where he came from.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:02 PM   #46

I guess I have the best of all worlds. For a 5 year extended warranty I chose Coach Net...Roadside assistance goes to Good Sams...Travel assist is with Family Motor Coach Association and rv and vehicle insurance is with National General through Good Sams. Have been pleased with the service from all three.
mmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #47

We have Good Sam RSA. Used them several times during our last trip due to the dreaded 'Reduced Engine Speed' 8.1L problem. This is a problem with the 'fly by wire' connection between the gas pedal and the carburetor. The first time I called they offered to send a tow and take us to a nearby repair shop. The problem seemed to resolve itself after 20 minutes and we called back and canceled. Two hours down the road the problem re-appeared and again they offered the tow truck but after calling said it would be several hours before the truck could make it due to lots of service calls. We decided to press on at 20 mph driving on the shoulder to our next destination. We ran into a monster rain storm and our reduced speed fit right in with traffic. At the campground we called again and they said they would send a repairman the next morning. He was able to diagnose the problem but could not get it to reappear. We stopped at a rest stop in the next state and when we restarted the problem reappeared. Called Good Sam again and they gave me options for repair folks. Fortunately one of them was nearby and they dispatched them. By this time we had written down all the error codes and after looking at them said two parts had to be replaced and he could order them overnight. It actually took three days for them to arrive. Of course I called everyday twice a day. When the parts arrived the service place said their RV guy had quit so we had to call Good Sam again and they sent another (very expensive) person. They replaced one of the parts and found out the other was the wrong part. After returning the part to the service company we decided to press on since we had no error. As we are leaving the next gas stop the problem reappeared. By this time it dawned on me that we were not going to get this fixed anytime soon. Sooo I decided to use the cruise control to control our speed and we drove the last two hundred and forty miles that way. After calling Newmar I found that the acceleration pedal transducer was unique to the MH and they gave me a source. I replaced it myself. I was very pleased with Good Sam RSA. Oh yes, this was our old Newmar Gasser.
BobrUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:06 PM   #48

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had coach net, dropped for better price from Good Sam. Recently bought FMCA assist. They had best price at the time, $109. Coach Net has a plan for 1st year at $249, renewal at $129. Good Sam had several prices depending if you are a GS member, or have discount flyer. Price varies from $79 o $109 . I found one thing troubling. When you have a breakdown they will tow you to what they call an Authorized repair facility. Does that mean he nearest Camping World? Hopefully one never has to use any of the services. Ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #49

Good Sam uses the nearest facility that they know about. I wouldn't go to Camping World either.
Bob
BobrUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #50

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While I have a separate thread for this, I thought my experience with Coach-Net today would be good for this thread also.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/coac...ts-363432.html

====

Well, we got to use our Coach-Net Roadside service for the 3rd time, and once again both Coach-Net and the servicing tow company gets an A+ from us. This post tells why we needed a tow http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/brake...ky-363340.html

This morning I called Coach-Net to get the RS Assistance claim started. While I was visiting the two truck capable shops in town, the claim was passed to a Coach-Net technician.

I received a call back from a technician in less than 15 minutes. I explained our breakdown to him and provided details on our RV, including what I estimated our curb weight to be - 10 tons. We are fully loaded and heading out for 3 weeks. He let me know that he was going to start researching nearby service centers and also contact a local operator to tow us out. I provided him with information about the logistics of getting out of our driveway - downhill into a 2 lane road with a guardrail on the opposite side, and no real runoff space on our side. He took those notes down and told me he would pass it along to the tow company.

About 15 minutes later I got a call back. The technician had a tow company at the ready and a Ford authorized service center 49 miles away, that could take us in today and look at the RV tomorrow. He just needed my approval to get towed here and he would let the tow company know to send a truck.

I wanted to give the service center a call myself and make one other call before agreeing to this, so I asked the Technician to hold the tow truck and that I would get back to him asap. I made a call to a friend of ours that owns an Auto Body and Race Shop - he has worked on the RV before - and asked if he could take a look. He told me to get it towed over and they would get under it today.

I called back Coach-Net, told them where I would like it to be towed and as it was a shorter distance, it was approved. They did have to call the shop first to make sure they did agree to take it in, but aside from that - there were no problems getting it towed where I wanted. I was informed that if I needed it to be towed from my desired shop to somewhere else, that I would be responsible for the tow. That's fair to me, and I am sure is in the contract somewhere.

Within 15 minutes I got another call back from the customer service agent confirming the tow and providing information on the name of the local company. She provided great details on where they were from, what they have experience in towing and also assured me that they would be sending a tow truck that was large enough for our weight.

No sooner did I hang up with with Coach-Net when I got a call from the tow company. They verified my info, how the RV was parked, that they were sending a big truck and would be there within the hour.

Less than an hour later I could hear the truck at the bottom of the driveway, and they weren't kidding -- they sent a BIG truck!

Unfortunately this truck was just too big for us. I completely agreed with the driver that it would be very difficult, if not impossible for him to tow me out with that truck. There is just not enough turning radius into the road with the length of his truck, our RV and where the pivot point would be. He made a call to another truck, and could have a shorter truck at the house in about 90 minutes.

He was professional, has a beautiful rig in meticulous condition and I trusted his judgement. At this point another 90 minutes is not going to break the day. He arranged the truck from his end, his office called Coach-Net, Coach-Net called me and within 5 minutes we were rescheduled for a shorter wheelbase tow truck.

Coach-Net kept in contact with me every 30 minutes, and getting updates from the tow company every hour. Just over 90 minutes later, a better sized truck showed up.

In about 30 minutes we were hooked up, driveshaft disconnected and strapped up and on our way. I followed the driver in my car. He took secondary roads, keeping the speed under 35 except for a 5 mile section where we had to take the highway.

He unloaded quickly in the shops parking lot, hooked up the driveshaft and was gone. He took pictures of the license plate and VIN and we exchanged no money except for a tip.

I am sure that this is the 2nd time, of 3 service calls and 3 -- well make that 4, tow truck dispatches, that Coach-Net has lost money on our subscription. I know that others have reported bad experiences, I cannot say that we have.

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:40 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
Now, that is a good idea.
X2!
diesel odor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:04 PM   #52

2 labs, what the reason for the tow?
Had I been in the first truck, I would have tried to flat tow out of the driveway and had that worked, I would have all of the tow prep done before second truck arrived.
Working for a heavy duty towing service, I went to the interstate in a F350 wrecker for a disabled 40+foot coach. I got out and spoke with the owner and the Trooper. I then turned around and backed up and hooked to the coachs' Reese hitch with the sling. I then started pulling the axle out. Over the traffic I could hear the trooper just . I had the axle out and was laying air hose to the air system when Denny showed up in a truck one step below the tri axle in the first pic. He was hooked and moving in 15 minutes. The laughing fit was when the owner asked the trooper if I knew "W7F" I was doing. The trooper told him to ask me and when he did I explained that we didn't pull the driveline unless were secured to the vehicle and I knew that the big truck coming and just shortened his wait time.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:51 PM   #53

I haven't decided yet on a RSA plan but know from my friends experience it WILL NOT BE GS!. They could not get their slide in on their second trip with there new to them coach. no one at the park could figure out how to manually retract the slide. GS called, tech sent, arrives 2 hours later. He pushed the slide in with his truck after he couldn't manually get the slide to retract in. His service charge was $800 and when they took the coach to the repair facility a few days later after arriving back home, $14,000 estimate to repair the slide and all the mechanicals. Because the coach was a 2003, it took 7 months to get the parts for the slide manufactured. Fortunately the shop convinced their insurance carrier to pay the bill. They confirmed to the insurance company that it was the technician forced the slide which caused all the damage.
jvalich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:19 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
From what I read/understand, the road side assistance call is dispatched to "independent shops" in the area of your breakdown.

Therefore regardless of whether you have GS or CN the mechanics and tow trucks will be the same.

If you repeatedly experience poor communication, or rude/incompetent agents, that is a reason to switch.

But switching RS plans because the mechanic did a bad job is no guarantee you wont get the same guy next time with the "other" RS plan/company.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:30 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Just a quick warning about service contract sales tactics.

I bought a new coach back in August.

Despite my advice to the finance guy that we were not interested in a roadside assistance contract, he proceeded to try and sell us five years of CN for about $1275.

I did not bother to tell the man that I had just renewed the CN contract on our old coach and two cars (premier plan) for about $400 for three years.

The kicker was that I later was reading the fine print on my chassis warranty and I discovered that Spartan was throwing in one year of CN gratis. So the finance guy either didn’t know or didn’t care that he was trying to sell me a year of service that was already paid for. This was ON TOP of the large mark-up the dealership was putting on their CN offer.

So I called CN and explained the situation. I asked them if they could tack the three years I had just bought onto the end of my one free year. They said they couldn’t do that, but they could refund my money. I got their check three days later. Class outfit. My dealer, not so much.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:42 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Wow!