Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2007, 03:59 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Due to some physical problems we are going to have to leave our coach setting for approximately six months. My concerns are the inability to get all the bearings and seals lubed well by road driving every 4-6 weeks as we normally do by going somewhere. I am able to run genny and keep it up to par with no problems. I don't like to run the chassis engine in place as I am "old school" and condensation forms. The tranny does not get to operating temps either. Am I overly concerned because I am old school or not. Coaches were meant to go down the road. I know that folks up north do store for the winter, so are they also concerned or do they just not worry about it.

Maybe some of you folks could tell me what direction to go . Seriously any thoughts please would be appreciated. Thanks..........Jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2007, 03:59 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Due to some physical problems we are going to have to leave our coach setting for approximately six months. My concerns are the inability to get all the bearings and seals lubed well by road driving every 4-6 weeks as we normally do by going somewhere. I am able to run genny and keep it up to par with no problems. I don't like to run the chassis engine in place as I am "old school" and condensation forms. The tranny does not get to operating temps either. Am I overly concerned because I am old school or not. Coaches were meant to go down the road. I know that folks up north do store for the winter, so are they also concerned or do they just not worry about it.

Maybe some of you folks could tell me what direction to go . Seriously any thoughts please would be appreciated. Thanks..........Jim
Old 11-16-2007, 04:16 PM   #3

Fill the fuel tank and add some Stabil. Change the oil and filter. Empty the fresh water and holding tanks and add RV antifreeze if you will be in freezing temperatures. And as you plan, run the generator at least once a month. One other suggestion is to inflate the tires to the pressure on the sidewall and then reset the pressure before you drive. Put a vapor barrier under the tires. Disconnect the batteries so they don't discharge and then charge them when you run the generator, unless you have electric that you can keep connected to your motorhome.

Good luck.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:55 AM   #4

My experience is that sitting isn't as harmful as most posts will lead you to believe. From heavy equipment, farm equipment, to vehicles that only run in the good weather, I have never had to go thru and do massive repairs at startup
Start the generator and motor home engine. The motor home engine might not get up to operating temperature, but it will oil parts that the oil has drained off. The crankcase is only vented to the air thru the breather, it's not like it is super easy for condensation to pour into your oil. And it will cook out below operating temperature, water out of a tap is hot enough to make steam.

When the engine has warmed up, run the tranny thru drive, neutral, and reverse, a minute or so in each gear. If you can move back and for even 20 or 30 ft. it will get the gear lube on the axle gears, drag the brakes so the drums/rotors are cleaned off.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:03 PM   #5

It is very common for people long term storing of there motorhome to somewhat over look the tires. Very good advice has been given, however, tires have not been mentioned. Therefore, when we put our coach away for several months durning the winter we max the air pressure, put down rubber mats ( these are 18 wheeler mud flaps found in our travels), then some carpet squares on top of the rubber mats, back the motor home on top of the carpet/rubber mats and then cover the tires with tire covers.

This puts the tire off the asphalt and protected from the sun. We are then not parked on sharp rocks or other items for long periods of time.

As a side note, we also carry the rubber mats with us and if parked at a camp ground for more than one night, we place the mats down and back the coach on to them.

As all ways travel safe;

Laura & Wil Young
Layton, Utah
Mapabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mapabear a belated welcome to irv2 and thanks for your informative post.
Please do post more often, your Vintage MH can be a good start.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:27 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim n Debbie:

Maybe some of you folks could tell me what direction to go . Seriously any thoughts please would be appreciated. Thanks..........Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FWIW- When I lived in UT, we had some club members who were Mormons. They would go for a year on missions and leave the RV sitting in a storage area with only the usual prep i.e. batteries disconnected, fuel tank full, etc. They would come back and resume traveling with us with no impact. I all ways thought seals would get them because it did on a car that I left sit one time but they did not experience it.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:27 AM   #8

Do you belong to any clubs or know someone you trust that ownes a motorhome? Maybe you could ask them to come over once a month and drive it for an hour during your time of need. Maybe even someone from IRV2 that lives close by would be willing.

I would be glad to but you are just a little to far away from my house.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #9

My motorhome sits 6 months a year---I add a trickle charger to the batteries fill the gas tank, change the oil and filter in generator and motorhome empty holding tanks, i live in Florida so no need to worry about freezing; thats it.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:59 PM   #10

November 1st till April 1st do as outhers have said it goes under the grand stand at our fair grounds .It is pitch black when the door closes so just air up the tires . doing this for years do not run the motor or gen set but do change the oil and filter in both and fog the gen set till it dies. Also put the pink stuff in the gas tanks and fill it up and pink stuff in water lines . No problems in over 5 years.
ct78barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:21 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you send it over to me, we are just out of Houston, we will see that it gets some road use....no charge.

The things I do for our iRV2 members.

And another thought...be sure to send you gas or Visa card along with it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote