RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2018, 06:12 PM   #1

Coach not plumb?

Well I parked the coach inside my shop on level cement and I thought it seemed to be leaning to the passenger side. Sure enough the 6' level confirmed it was leaning. So I checked the distance from the chassis to the cement and their is a 1/2" discrepancy.

So is it the air bag system? It's not loaded although the propane tank is on that side and full.
Where do I start ?

IMDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2018, 06:15 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDiesel View Post
Well I parked the coach inside my shop on level cement and I thought it seemed to be leaning to the passenger side. Sure enough the 6' level confirmed it was leaning. So I checked the distance from the chassis to the cement and their is a 1/2" discrepancy.

So is it the air bag system? It's not loaded although the propane tank is on that side and full.
Where do I start ?
Sounds like the ride hight issue. Either one side is high or the other is low.

Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:33 PM   #3

Stop doing those burn outs!!
lrgomez1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:34 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy01 View Post
Sounds like the ride hight issue. Either one side is high or the other is low.
Boy you nailed that!
Old 12-03-2018, 08:08 PM   #5

ok

so I'm unable to find any usable info on ride height specs for my freightliner chassis and how to check it.

Any search about this here doesn't

produce a result . I'm hoping Maybe someone can lead me in the right direction.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:38 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
ok
so I'm unable to find any usable info on ride height specs for my freightliner chassis and how to check it.
Any search about this here doesn't produce a result . I'm hoping Maybe someone can lead me in the right direction.
It would help if you would specify the model and year of your chassis as there can be variances. Which side are your batteries on? You can also call Freightliner with your VIN and they can give you the specs.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:19 PM   #7

IMDiesel,
As has been stated, you need to post your make/model/year/chassis/engine etc. so that it would be easier to possibly render an accurate answer that may apply to your chassis. However, with all that being said, if yours is a diesel coach, and it has ride height sensors, then it's possible one (or more) of the ride height sensors is out of adjustment. Regardless of where your standard loads (batteries, Propane etc.), are your coach should sit LEVEL.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:26 PM   #8

It might be the concrete

When we had our concrete poured for our 40X60 pole barn, the concrete was purposely poured unlevel to allow water drainage toward the drain on the floor in the center of the building. We bring our truck in when to snow gets to be too much and once it all melts (barn is heated, our Coach is inside and we currently live in Coach-- sorta full timers??) and the water runs straight to the drain.

Check your plumb of the concrete first.
Chadrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:42 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
A call to Wineabagel should get you some values for ride height. You sound like a noob so a trip to a diesel shop with the ride height values will cure the problem. If you don't know what you are doing, setting ride height could be dangerous
Old 12-04-2018, 09:28 AM   #10

Thank you for your responses. I'm new here and didn't notice that my coach info was not listed with my name.

As far as the cement having a slope, that is not the case.
I have an 05 Itasca Meridian 32

and the driveway does slope and lean the coach before I enter the shop floor that is level. Maybe it just doesn't recover in the 35 or so feet it takes to park it.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Thank you for your responses. I'm new here and didn't notice that my coach info was not listed with my name.

As far as the cement having a slope, that is not the case.
I have an 05 Itasca Meridian 32

and the driveway does slope and lean the coach before I enter the shop floor that is level. Maybe it just doesn't recover in the 35 or so feet it takes to park it.
Wow,
I wasn't aware Itasca made a 32 footer in the Meridian in that year. I had to look up a brochure to make sure. Sure'nuff, it's there, with the 5.9L Cummins. I bet that's pretty easy to get into lots of different camp spaces.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:50 AM   #12

Get friendly with your local Freightliner dealer. They can look up ride height specs. If you register at DTNA.com you can also look up maintenance instructions and chassis specs. Adjusting ride height is not too complicated. And- get jack stands if you contemplate working under it. Dump the air suspension while you’re under there and someone will collect your life insurance.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
IMDiesel,
As has been stated, you need to post your make/model/year/chassis/engine etc. so that it would be easier to possibly render an accurate answer that may apply to your chassis. However, with all that being said, if yours is a diesel coach, and it has ride height sensors, then it's possible one (or more) of the ride height sensors is out of adjustment. Regardless of where your standard loads (batteries, Propane etc.), are your coach should sit LEVEL.
Scott

Ride sensors ? To control the air bags I'm guessing. Can you elaborate. And would Itasca Or should I say Freightliner have this type of system in an 05 XC chassis.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:41 AM   #14
RV Mutant #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
Get friendly with your local Freightliner dealer. They can look up ride height specs. If you register at DTNA.com you can also look up maintenance instructions and chassis specs. Adjusting ride height is not too complicated. And- get jack stands if you contemplate working under it. Dump the air suspension while you’re under there and someone will collect your life insurance.

Best advice above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and to answer your question, yes Freightliner does have that system on your chassis......as does most every single air ride chassis there is, including semi tractors and trailers. The air valves are what regulates air to the air bags to hold the vehicle up....and level.

BTW,

Roadmaster Nighthawk II towing a 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511/ Good Sam/ Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote