Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #1

Coach Power Concern

When running on Battery Power in the Coach, as the battery loses its charge, it appears to go into power save mode and the lights become much dimmer. I even hear a click in a selenoid or something when it happens. The charge level reads yellow but there still appears to be a significant amount juice in the batteries. Is this normal and can someone tell me what purpose it serves if it is normal.
galluta is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
In all likelihood the battery is toast. For them to live a long and happy life they need to be fully charged with regularity and not taken below 50% state of charge. The way to tell that is not with LED's. Invest in a Victron or Trimetric battery monitor and have the battery load tested. What is the actual voltage at the battery when lights dim?
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #3

If you are looking for an intelligent response in this forum, I suggest you provide some more information in your signature. "The Coach" covers a wide area.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

It really would be a good idea for you to go the the "User CP" (control panel) and add details about the make, model and year of your rig. Not all rigs work the same or have the same equipment so you'll get much more accurate responses if you provide detail.

From the info you have provided, I can only say that many things which operate in today's RV require a strong 12v to function. If that voltage begins to drop too far, you may be hearing solenoids from some appliance shutting itself down... but you really are going to need to take a voltage reading on your house battery/batteries when they're fully charged... and then when this "power save" begins to happen. Is "power save" your own description of what's happening or is there an actual function on your coach called power save?

How many batteries do you have to run the house? Do you know what kind of charger you have? How have you been charging them when they run down? Shorepower? Gennie? Running the engine?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #5

Sincerely, I do applogize for my ignorance and I have taken the time between post to try to educate myself on the 12 volt system. I am not familiar with the control panel that was referenced. I assume it is part of my profile or part of the "signiture" that was suggested. I am a little new to all of this and more guidance would be appreciated. Begging your indulgence in advance.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by galluta View Post
Sincerely, I do applogize for my ignorance and I have taken the time between post to try to educate myself on the 12 volt system. I am not familiar with the control panel that was referenced. I assume it is part of my profile or part of the "signiture" that was suggested. I am a little new to all of this and more guidance would be appreciated. Begging your indulgence in advance.
Not a problem at all.

I checked your profile and it looks like you have a 1998 Fleetwood 36 footer.
Is it a Bounder?

Information like this allows members who have (or have had) a coach like yours to chime in and share their experiences and knowledge.

You'll find that owning and learning to use a volt meter is a very good thing for an RVer to do. As you learn how your systems work, when something goes wrong you'll need to be able to measure what voltage you have at various places. The expertise here on the forum can help tell you where those places are and what voltage you should be reading... but you'll really want to pick up at least a cheap (<$20) volt meter so you can take those measurements. Without this kind of knowledge you'll find that you either end up paying a shop to do things you could have done yourself much more cheaply... or you'll end up "throwing parts at a problem" hoping something will fix the problem.

I know it's like drinking from a fire hose, but hang in there. It's fun learning all this stuff.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #7

Angry

Hi Galutta,
Welcome to IRV2.
Different manufacturers use lots of different systems. The signatures that many of us use is just to save us from having to enter the same information every time we post. But something for you to remember is that not all motor homes are the same and if you want good answers, we need good input. But sometimes, the information you provide in your signature isn't pertinent to your problem. In those times, you should try to put in your post information you think may be relevant to your question. For example: year, make, and model of your motor home. Additionally, if the question concerns electrical questions, include battery information, type, number, what charging system, what conditions when problem occurs, etc.
Please bear with us. You will be getting more questions, and there is a good chance that someone will have the right answer. You will have to figure it out, some answers will be right on and some will be utterly worthless. ? Good luck.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by galluta View Post
When running on Battery Power in the Coach, as the battery loses its charge, it appears to go into power save mode and the lights become much dimmer. I even hear a click in a selenoid or something when it happens. The charge level reads yellow but there still appears to be a significant amount juice in the batteries. Is this normal and can someone tell me what purpose it serves if it is normal.
The key words are "significant amounts of juice in the batteries".

What is that amount?

A full 12v battery bank will be at 12.6 dcv.

The point to begin recharging is at @ half full at 12.2v.

At 11.8v your batteries are nearly dead for practical purposes.

Without info such as what battery management system you are referring to regarding the solenoid, when in the above cycle the yellow light comes on, we are not likely to be of much assistance.

The yellow light on my system, for instance, shows that the battery recharging is in the acceptance phase of the three step recharging process. Green is great. Red is heavy recharging.

Yours may be different.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #9

The batteries were toast and I replaced them with true deep cycle batteries. The other two were Marine Starting batteries, not true deep cycle. That is why they didn't last very long. Thanks for the secondary advice and I have added a signature to my profile

Tags
power