Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2015, 09:01 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
To the OP: The very first step is to forget about all the prices and spreadsheets. Yes, its work to purchase the right motorhome, but if you try to over complicate it, you won't know where to start.
Two easy first steps, decide how much money you can spend, and decide what make and model you want. Everyone says, don't pay attention to NADA values, but that's wrong.
NADA values are a great place to start so you can figure out if the unit you decided on is in your price range. That's for used.
For new, take 25-30% off MSRP. If that's over what you want to pay then just move on.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 10:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
Any big volume RV dealer. Look at a monthly CW brochure.

Look at the MSRP of any, (especially gassers), fully loaded 2015* motorhome on the lot today, come back 12 to 18 months later.

If it's still on the lot in 2016 or 2017, it will be 40% to 65% below the original MSRP. It's like magic!

*A Note from Captain Obvious: transpose the years to find a deal today.
You won't find what you are talking about and the major MH manufacturers don't sell "demos" like they do cars. Nor do they keep MH's on the lot new that are two years out. No dealer is going to discount a MH by 65% unless there is an issue with it. My brother in law owns two dealerships where he sells new TT and used MH's. He buys used MH's and refurbishes them, so he knows his prices, and makes good money doing what he does. Your prices aren't even in line with a 7-10 year old used MH.

If what you say is true people would be all over it but it doesn't exist. Just another over the top comment about depreciation, to justify buying used. I can still sell mine for what I bought it for, and the Nada guidelines even support that. Seems like when people want to show how "bad' the depreciation is they refer to Nada guidelines, but when Nada doesn't support that they say nothing. Buy what ever you want, there is no right or wrong, but either way you get what you paid for.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:52 AM   #17

I agree with Davedeb1. When we first started looking I didn't know what we wanted. So I started by learning which coach's I DIDN'T want. Over a period of about a year I narrowed it down to three brands. Then I looked at our budget and decided how much I was willing to pay. PPL's web site has a place where you can see what coach's actually sold for. It was great info to have, but you still have to take into consideration the condition of the unit, and if you can, get the maint. records. I can't stress that enough on a used one. Then when you've finally decided, take a big breath and dive in.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:54 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
If what you say is true people would be all over it but it doesn't exist. Just another over the top comment about depreciation, to justify buying used. ...
Sorry Mike,

I can see where your loyalties are, as your family is in the dealership business. But you are wrong.

And, people are indeed "all over it"! It's called purchasing old inventory. Talk to your brother-in-law about it

Old inventory motorhomes eventually are commonly discounted 30%-50% from MSRP. Old inventory travel trailers, 5th wheels, toyhaulers and folding trailers are commonly discounted as much as 65% from MSRP. They are all sold as brand new, with a full factory warranty. And yes, the "old inventory" are commonly the models used at all the RVShows during the previous year. They might not be called "demos", but a lot of traffic has probably walked through some of them.

I have purchased all of my RVs brand new. I am all about purchasing brand new and not used.

Most recently, I purchased a 2014 Thor Hurricane 34E with an MSRP of $110k. I purchased it at a Camping World dealership clearly across the country, (after an extensive search for my specific "old inventory" requirement), for 36% below the $110k MSRP.

I even mentioned that you can find them in the nationally published and distributed Camping World monthly sales flyer. And, Camping World RV dealers are NOT particularly known for their good prices, (if was just a coincidence that I found one sitting on a lot late in the model year, November). Look in those pages, you can't make this stuff up!

My previous motorhome was a Winnebago Vista, purchased at 43% off MSRP.

Before that, I owned a Fleetwood Pace Arrow motorhome, purchased at 45% below MSRP.

Heck, my first RV was a 2004 Fleetwood GTE Niagara Folding Trailer, (a Popup) with an MSRP of $12,500. I purchased it brand new, and a used low-mile Dodge Durango 4x4 to tow it with, for less than the MSRP!

If you need a correlation with the automobile industry, get an app called True Car. It provides you with a statistical bell curve of the prevailing market for any particular vehicle. NOT everyone pays anywhere near MSRP. And, I make it a point not to.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:42 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Sorry Mike,

I can see where your loyalties are, as your family is in the dealership business. But you are wrong.

And, people are indeed "all over it"! It's called purchasing old inventory. Talk to your brother-in-law about it

Old inventory motorhomes eventually are commonly discounted 30%-50% from MSRP. Old inventory travel trailers, 5th wheels, toyhaulers and folding trailers are commonly discounted as much as 65% from MSRP. They are all sold as brand new, with a full factory warranty. And yes, the "old inventory" are commonly the models used at all the RVShows during the previous year. They might not be called "demos", but a lot of traffic has probably walked through some of them.

I have purchased all of my RVs brand new. I am all about purchasing brand new and not used.

Most recently, I purchased a 2014 Thor Hurricane 34E with an MSRP of $110k. I purchased it at a Camping World dealership clearly across the country, (after an extensive search for my specific "old inventory" requirement), for 36% below the $110k MSRP.

I even mentioned that you can find them in the nationally published and distributed Camping World monthly sales flyer. And, Camping World RV dealers are NOT particularly known for their good prices, (if was just a coincidence that I found one sitting on a lot late in the model year, November). Look in those pages, you can't make this stuff up!

My previous motorhome was a Winnebago Vista, purchased at 43% off MSRP.

Before that, I owned a Fleetwood Pace Arrow motorhome, purchased at 45% below MSRP.

Heck, my first RV was a 2004 Fleetwood GTE Niagara Folding Trailer, (a Popup) with an MSRP of $12,500. I purchased it brand new, and a used low-mile Dodge Durango 4x4 to tow it with, for less than the MSRP!

If you need a correlation with the automobile industry, get an app called True Car. It provides you with a statistical bell curve of the prevailing market for any particular vehicle. NOT everyone pays anywhere near MSRP. And, I make it a point not to.
I agree nobody should be paying anything close to MSRP. However, your personal experience example (that I put in bold above) is no where close to your original claim of "65% OFF of MSRP", which was the part of your post that I took exception to. Why not just admit the exaggeration and move on? Unless you can actually provide a link to a "new" year old model at 65% off MSRP.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:12 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Yep I saw that one for 65% off, the one with the pink bedspread draped in yellow and black.
Just kidding of course, but really, this past year the RV market has changed a lot, so many more buyers. The prices don't drop as far as they did just a few years ago.

And yes, some brands with unfavorable reviews can be gotten 10 percent cheaper than others drop. Popular models also hold up well in value. Don't forget also that buying them 2 years old+new off the lot, when you eventually sell it, the value will be two years less than the new one off the lot.

RVTrader gave me a lot of cost info per brand and year, just look through all of them, narrow down what you do not want, and keep checking on the ones in the price range you can afford, you'll catch on what they are selling for. If one has been around for over 6 months you may get a great deal on it.

Good luck, and don't let the stress get to you! You will have so much fun.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:45 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coach Prices

We have a few new units that have been on the lot for over a year. The biggest discount I am aware of is nowhere near 40% much less 65%.

We are not that desperate to get rid of them and listing them near cost will get them to sell.

I am with the others. Narrow it down to what you want and use the web to compare prices and give you a general idea of what to expect in terms of price.
Brian W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I agree nobody should be paying anything close to MSRP. However, your personal experience example (that I put in bold above) is no where close to your original claim of "65% OFF of MSRP", which was the part of your post that I took exception to. Why not just admit the exaggeration and move on? Unless you can actually provide a link to a "new" year old model at 65% off MSRP.
X2, I didn't even respond because it is so far off what the original post stated and he originally said MH's were 40-65% Off MSRP. And yes I do have family in the business that does quite well for himself, and he even says that is a huge exaggeration. My brother in law said to hook him up and he would go into his reserves to buy all the NEW MH's he could that were discounted at 65%. He said with the economy the way it is sales are rebounding faster than they are able to manufacture( thus the longer wait for an ordered MH), and that is also driving up the prices of used MH's. My brother in law also sells new TT and 5th Wheels so he has a couple of franchises, so I think he knows his business.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:20 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
X2, I didn't even respond because it is so far off what the original post stated and he originally said MH's were 40-65% Off MSRP. And yes I do have family in the business that does quite well for himself, and he even says that is a huge exaggeration.....
OK guys. The OP mentioned that prices were all over the place. And they are.

Apparently you guys have never seen discounts of up to 65% from MSRP for RVs, and that's OK. But it's also a shame. I guess I'll just have to post pictures or scans the next time I run into one in order to satisfy you guys who enjoy swerving off topic to make your point.

In the RV industry the MSRP is an absolutely manipulated artificial number that is nothing short of meaningless, and only serves as a reference, at best. Asking an RV dealer for verification of my claim of deep dsicounts from MSRP is like asking a fox about his/her opinion of the hen house business.

I notice Mike, that you drive a Newmar. I will admit that I have NEVER seen a steep discount for a new old-stock Newmar. I can't even recall ever seeing a Newmar coach just sitting on a lot aging for very long. Obviously, there is no incentive for a dealer to discount a Newmar very much.

However, for common gas floorplans by Winnebago/Itasca, Thor, Tiffen, Fleetwood they do appear. If you guys still feel determined, search for new unsold 2014, or even 2013 motorhomes still sitting on lots somewhere, nationally.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:51 AM   #24

When we bought ours in February of 2014, we were considering a new 2013 Tiffin 36LA , and the 2015's were ordered but not on the lots yet. The most they would discount was 26% off of MSRP, when we asked for 30% they laughed and we left. They called back the next day and said they could only go 28% max. They also said if we wanted the Winnebago 2013 Vista 35B they would go to 29% max, still not 40-65%.That's how we ended up with our Newmar, and we got just a little over 27% discount. And yes you are right, you are not going to see huge discounts on Newmars as they don't have to. Actually as a lot of people seem to think Nada is fairly accurate, my MH currently shows a high of 148K, and a low still well above what I paid, so I hope they are right.

And no we are not "swerving off topic to make a point" we are just answering the OP's original question with honesty of what we see in the MH industry, and not give him false hope of buying a New 2014 MH with a $200,000 MSRP for $70,000.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coach Prices

Talked to my owner this morning, and in all fairness to BeachDude, he did say you will occasionally see huge discounts as mentioned. He said it's rare, but it does happen. Sitting longer than a year though. Based on his other comments, I know it want be happening at our dealership.
Brian W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
OK guys........Apparently you guys have never seen discounts of up to 65% from MSRP..........

I guess I'll just have to post pictures or scans the next time I run into one in order to satisfy you guys who enjoy swerving off topic to make your point.......
You got the first part right.

What I've placed in bold is ALL I asked for in my first post (#10) in this thread.

And please remember, you made your original claim in response to the OP asking about MOTOR HOMES, so heavily discounted trailers don't count, even IF you can find one at 65% off.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:05 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
I agree with Davedeb1. When we first started looking I didn't know what we wanted. So I started by learning which coach's I DIDN'T want. Over a period of about a year I narrowed it down to three brands. Then I looked at our budget and decided how much I was willing to pay. PPL's web site has a place where you can see what coach's actually sold for. It was great info to have, but you still have to take into consideration the condition of the unit, and if you can, get the maint. records. I can't stress that enough on a used one. Then when you've finally decided, take a big breath and dive in.
Good INFO. This is pretty close to the path we took.Bottom line is to do your home work.Lord only knows how many toads we kissed trying to find our princes.We traveled over 1200 miles to purchase our coach and were glad that we had educated ourselves prior to going on the hunt......Best Wishes.

2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote