Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2015, 07:55 PM   #1

Coach Prices

I have thoroughly enjoyed perusing this site and absorbing all of the information provided by owners. I am currently "researching" coaches and floor plans in anticipation of purchasing our first motorhome. I visit RVT.com and RVTrader.com daily, looking at floor plans and pricing. As you all know, the prices of motorhomes are all over the place, which makes oneself to question whether or not they got the best deal possible. Has anybody ever created a topic, spreadsheet, or know of any information source where owners have provided the make, model, pricing, and dealership where they purchased their motorhome? I believe this would provide all of us with purchase power knowledge when we buy our next coach. I don't know if this topic is out there and I havent found it yet.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2015, 08:03 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Can't see how it could possibly work, too many variables like area, economy, condition, owner needs to sell vs wants to sell vs how much owed and then there's the trade value vs price etc.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:16 PM   #3

It sounds like you might be experiencing what we did when we first started RV shopping (just this past January)... not knowing where to start!

The price ranges ARE all over the place, but that's because the way RV are equipped can vary wildly. What we did was start with an amount that we thought was doable. For us, that was $40k. Then we went to look at what we could find for $40k... and we immediately upped it to $60-70k.

But whatever your acceptable budget is, once you think you're at it, just start looking. Some you'll like, others you won't. That's how you'll start to get a sense of your own preferences when it comes to amenities and floor plans.

What I ignored was the underlying tech/mech (inverters, chassis enhancements, etc.). We ended up out the door, with loads of mods for around $85k, up from the $40k we started at (which was never really in the running) but down from a comparable Outlaw (our chosen model) at $133k (though new).

The moral of the story is we now own an RV that we love and we've made it ours! Hopefully you can do the same.

Anthony
anthonynalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:19 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
IMHO purchasing an RV is HARD WORK, particularly if you strive for the "best" deal. In fact I think purchasing a S&B home is considerably easier. So the good news is that there are a lot of resources out there like irv2. The bad news is that there are no short cuts that I was able to find and I spent many hours in the process. The final good news for me is that I believe the hard work paid off and I got a very good deal.

Good luck.
JPL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Check out this motor home dealer in Texas. Their prices are very realistic.....they deal in volume rather than trying to gouge only a few customers to make their profit. Prices from owners and other dealers can be "pie in the sky" sometimes.....

http://mhsrv.com
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:27 PM   #6

The problem I find when looking is finding one that has been taken care of. Doesn't matter if its a 30k rig or 150k people just thrash these things. Carpets stained from one end to the other, missing/broken pieces, pets are absolutely the worst. Then there is all the dents, cracks and gouges on the outside, don't people look before they back up???

Good deals are hard to find, finding one in great condition at a great price takes hours and hours of searching on line. Usually the "cheap" ones are cheap for a reason, everything looks great in a pic, not so much when actually seen in person. So I usually don't pay much attention to the ones in my price range that are low and the ones that are just ridiculously over priced I figure are owned by people that paid way too much and owe more on it than it will ever be worth.

First you need to figure out what are must haves and what are wants, then set a realistic price range for what you are willing to spend to get it. Like mentioned above most people's initial price range is soon found to be way low to actually get the must haves on their list. A lot of this comes from the great prices they see posted on a lot of units only to find they are crap when they go and look at them. Don't get discouraged the first one you see may be the one or the 10th or even the 20th, waiting to get what you want in the long run will make you a much happier owner.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:50 PM   #7

Like said prior, there are so many variables when buying a MH that prices are very hard to lock down to a "pattern" or "worth". Prices will vary due to equipment, floorplan, brand, condition, quality ect. You don't say whether you are looking new or used, if new a good rule of thumb is a 24%-28% +/- discount off the MSRP, again based on many variables.

Do your research as you have started here, buying a MH is fun, but buying the right MH is a lot of work and research. Read all the manufacturer forums and see what people like/don't like about their MH's, customer service, quality issues, how long they sit in the shop ect. you will develop a sense of what qualities are important to you. Then go out and look at them, drive them and you will start to see what people are talking about good and bad. from there you will be able to decide what is quality to you, for some it's price, others quality build, lack of break downs, good dealerships, time spent in the shop ect. We spent two years looking(it doesn't have to take that long), but we ended up with a better, bigger MH than we started looking for, for less money than some used ones of the same model/brand, and one we love.

Don't base everything on the cost. You will find that at whatever price point you start at you can significantly increase the quality and size of the MH you choose for a minimal amount of money compared to your original price point. Floor plan is probably the most important, and don't be afraid to go a little bigger or spend a little more to get what you really want vs something that just work ok for you. Looking for one is half the fun, good luck.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:20 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree, that a list is a good place to start, and this might not be a bad idea. Personally we just looked at a lot of RV's so that we knew a good deal once we saw it.

Here is a dealer that publishes a list that does help get a general idea.

Used Recreational Vehicles Sold or for Sale - PPL Motor Homes
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:34 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
... a good rule of thumb is a 24%-28% +/- discount off the MSRP, again based on many variables.
It's not unusual to find "last year's" brand new, (likely used as the demo model at many RVshows), unsold model still on the lot for as much as 40% to 65% off the original MSRP.

It's almost like they are giving them away!
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
It's not unusual to find "last year's" brand new, (likely used as the demo model at many RVshows), unsold model still on the lot for as much as 40% to 65% off the original MSRP.

It's almost like they are giving them away!
Please point me to where you are seeing these unbelievable discounts.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:05 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Others have already commented about the options and the manner in which even two identical model coaches are equipped being a huge variable. The next and in some cases the most important is the overall condition and how the coach was maintained.

Other variables are things like an owner who needs to get out now and willing to take a low ball number just to get out vs. someone who has meticulously maintained their coach and wants top dollar for it.

Not saying which one is the better deal because I know several who have bought based on "best price" criteria only to find out the lack of maintenance made that particular coach a money pit vs. one that cost more initially yet had very meticulous maintenance performed on it.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:49 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Please point me to where you are seeing these unbelievable discounts.
Any big volume RV dealer. Look at a monthly CW brochure.

Look at the MSRP of any, (especially gassers), fully loaded 2015* motorhome on the lot today, come back 12 to 18 months later.

If it's still on the lot in 2016 or 2017, it will be 40% to 65% below the original MSRP. It's like magic!

*A Note from Captain Obvious: transpose the years to find a deal today.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:12 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
NADA

Hi,
As most said, the variables make it too tough but when I shopped the first time that is exactly what I did (make a spread sheet).

For me, price was critical. I had to set a top dollar and stick to it, and then look for the best coach I could get for that money. I actually found my best coach via Ebay and an auction. I found Ebay to be very useful in establishing wholesale and retail pricing.

When I traded in my 1997 HR for a 2007 HR, the dealer pulled out the current NADA book for our area and offered me low retail for my coach and agreed to sell me his at the same low retail price quoted in the book. That seemed fair to me...and he agreed to fix any issues we found before we paid and drove away. We have never regretted the decision.

Note that I loved my first coach, however DW wanted a slide in the bedroom and other fancy upgrades (new captain's chairs, new carpet, new wood, new auto blinds...etc.) The new HR had everything on her list (yeah!) and it had a 400 HP Cummins, as opposed to the 275 CAT in my 38'. The CAT was fine until I tried to tow a medium size toad...then it was obvious we weren't going across the Rockies in my baby....so now we have a newer, faster, better coach and those Rockies don't scare me!

Best of luck in your search. Unlike a car hunt, once you buy the RV the fun isn't over! (nor is spending money on it....an RV is much like a boat!).
Old 03-31-2015, 07:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
Any big volume RV dealer. Look at a monthly CW brochure.

Look at the MSRP of any, (especially gassers), fully loaded 2015* motorhome on the lot today, come back 12 to 18 months later.

If it's still on the lot in 2016 or 2017, it will be 40% to 65% below the original MSRP. It's like magic!

*A Note from Captain Obvious: transpose the years to find a deal today.
Following your math, A "new" $200,000.00 MSRP 2014 coach can now be bought for a mere $70,000.00. I haven't seen those ads, but then again I won't look at CW, either.

Now I know why I haven't sold my "used" 2010 coach that had a $179,000.00 MSRP for my asking price of $90,000.00. I must be living in a fantasy world.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote