Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2015, 12:20 AM   #155

The number of arm chair lawyers astounds me !

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2015, 12:22 AM   #156

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
Why... ???

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:06 AM   #157

Freebird
I am a retired policeman--spent most of my career in criminal and later supervision, but of course made traffic stops. I re-read your original post and I should have asked you some questions first. But I got carried away with other posts and the usual anecdotal never researched he said/she said nonsense so prevalent today. IF the officer's stated reason for searching your friend's motorhome was "I search all motorhomes", then I would not consent unless he gave me a better reason. He is on a fishing expedition and unless he had probable cause or a traffic violation for the stop, then his sergeant needs to be informed so that the supervisor can find something better for this officer to do. Absent probable cause for stopping a specific motorhome, this officer is biting the hand that feeds him. I would guess he is young, inexperienced and bored. While I like his apparent hustle, (versus hiding somewhere to avoid work) it needs to be channeled properly.
This is where a phone call to his sergeant would fulfill your civic duty without going to Def CON 4 with lawyers and the like. Could the sergeant ignore it? Possibly, but with the sergeant's own observations of the officer coupled with your friend's call, any supervisor worth his/her salt will see there is a problem and address it. Your friend would be performing his civic duty to call even now--or write a letter. While there are times when it is in the best interest of officers to browbeat a hostile crowd, they are few and far between and routine traffic is not one of them. Many is the time I had to wait until a prospective witness unloaded about a traffic ticket he felt he should not have been issued perhaps 20 years ago before I could find out if he saw/heard anything in the neighborhood. Folks are passionate about authority, and that's a good thing for our country.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:37 AM   #158

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
The fact that this thread hasn't been shut down yet astounds me.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:51 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplante4 View Post
maybe its because a lot of the members are always traveling across this great country and not just going to work ,so this is something that impacts us more then the general population
Old 03-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #160

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Walter - I am sure you are glad you are not - but you're needed on the job. Well stated and reasoned.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:40 AM   #161

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog2 View Post
maybe its because a lot of the members are always traveling across this great country and not just going to work ,so this is something that impacts us more then the general population
Actually, I was commenting about how relatively civil the discussion has been over what historically has been a contentious subject.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:44 AM   #162

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
You don't need to be a lawyer to understand the constitution. You just need to be able to read and understand plain english.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #163

Any constitutional document is rarely plain and often misconstrued
Old 03-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #164

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Any constitutional document is rarely plain
Don't care about other country's constitution. I'm speaking of the United States Constitution. Pretty plain language to me. But if anyone needs a course.

Quote:
and often misconstrued
Yes, SCOTUS is real good at that over the last 100 years. So do folks that never bother to read it.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:15 PM   #165

The English language is many things but never plain
Old 03-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #166
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We're drifting off topic. Let's get back on course.
Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:24 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplante4 View Post
This thread has been extremely civil considering how passionate the people posting are. I'm very proud of how everyone has handled themselves.

Normally I don't like more and more laws but I would love to see a federal law put into place that requires all searches of vehicles, homes and persons to be videoed by an independent party much like court reporters do for the courts. In fact this could be a specialized court reporting certification. This would keep everyone honest and protect everyones rights.

As a side note:
More work needs to be done on police car video systems. Having been a engineer till I retired I would suggest the following.
  • All police cars should have a video system that records 360 degree video from the roof of the car.
  • In addition the video recorders that all police should wear should send that video back to the patrol car.
  • All video in the patrol car should automatically upload when the car reaches the station.
  • There should be safeguards so that no video can ever be deleted.
  • All video should be available to the subject of the stop at no charge to them within 24 hours of the request and without a FOIA request.
I don't know if anyone has developed a system like this but it's very easy to do and the cost would not be that high.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:22 PM   #168

Freightliner Owners Club
This thread has been extremely civil considering how passionate the people posting are. I'm very proud of how everyone has handled themselves.

Thank You! Timmon.