Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2015, 05:23 AM   #239

Thor Owners Club
Coming back from Alaska thru Canada and entering in Washington state, at the border we were pulled aside and inspected. They went through some cabinets, asked repeatedly if we were hiding anyone in the coach..lol it was 22' long no slides, how small of people did she think we would be hiding in cabinets lol.. She checked what produce we had and gave us our passports back and wished us a good day. Very professional and friendly. We had no issues.

Several years ago we visited a friend in Canada and re entered the US through Buffalo, that lady was an [ moderator edit ], she was obnoxious loud and not the brightest light on the block. She asked me "WHAT YA GOT ON?" I said "What?" "WHAT YA GOT ON?' I just told her I didn't understand the question. Turns out she wanted to know what was in the 5th wheel. I told her our clothes. That was 45 minutes of my life I will never get back and through all of that she miseed and I did not know till 4 months later, our plates were expired! LOL That could have got REAL ugly! That won't happen again. explanation for that was we had moved and the license bureau sent the renewal notice but the forwarding had expired so they must have returned it and I never got it :-/ So those out there here is your warning.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2015, 07:55 AM   #240

Interesting forum. Guess I wont be getting a passport just yet. That's a lot of money for them now. If an officer requests to inspect my Class A, they are more than welcome. I would consider it an honor. They are just doing their job. Sob, I'm in Texas and I take my time driving since I'm in no hurry, it'll take me days/weeks to drive out of Texas. But I'm not going/traveling to Mexico, they can forget that. Once I go "full time" since my son has another two years in high school, the other 49 states best stand by because I will be there.
mikensallyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:36 AM   #241

Wow, I wonder what would happen if I rolled out of CO. with my WA. plates...I'd get pulled over every 10 minutes!
BigInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:08 AM   #242

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigInSeattle View Post
Wow, I wonder what would happen if I rolled out of CO. with my WA. plates...I'd get pulled over every 10 minutes!
Just do not give them a reason to stop you. There are new traffic laws concerning "weaving", research the states you plan on traveling to and see how they enforce them. In some states, they are no longer allowed to stop you for simply being blown around by the wind. They need a second reason now, such as watching you pull out of a bar at midnight along with weaving. Do some research on "weaving plus" traffic laws.

Kansas and Nebraska are suing Colorado over the marijuana laws, so I will definitely not be visiting those states. NOT with the green license plate bulls-eye attached to my moho. Their loss, not mine.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #243

firebug I am with you. We will not be making too many out of state camping trips with CO plates. No sense looking for trouble!
slanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:06 PM   #244

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slanted View Post
firebug I am with you. We will not be making too many out of state camping trips with CO plates. No sense looking for trouble!
We are staying away from Kansas and Nebraska until the dust settles with the law suits. Others have already posted about getting stopped in both states when showing the green Colorado plates.

We are not going to be pushed around, either. We will go where ever we feel like going, but the info I have received from this thread will help me decide how to handle the traffic stops should they continue to occur. I have already discovered the info concerning the new rules with "weaving", so the next time we travel I will call whatever state patrol's district we will be driving thru and find out what their rules are.

So far, we have not been disrespected during any of the stops. Just tired of losing the time it takes for each stop. We are going on a trip in a few weeks, so we will see. Get ready, Utah, we are coming your way with our green plates. . .

Bruce
Old 04-09-2015, 04:12 PM   #245

Thor Owners Club
I am totally in the dark here guys. What is the issue witH having Colorado plates and going to Kansas or Nebraska?
Old 04-09-2015, 04:24 PM   #246

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
I am totally in the dark here guys. What is the issue witH having Colorado plates and going to Kansas or Nebraska?
Legal marijuana in Colorado. I guess you can carry a lot of it in a moho. The iconic green license plates really stand out on the back of a mostly white moho, too. Kinda like a big bulls-eye or target. The last trooper that stopped us for "weaving" on a very windy day in Oklahoma told me they were profiling RV's from Colorado. I asked what they were looking for, and he said illegal drugs and human trafficking. I had neither, so we were given a warning for "weaving".

Kansas and Nebraska are currently suing Colorado for the legal marijuana laws. Lots of stories in the Denver papers about folks getting stopped as soon as they leave Colorado and enter either state.

Bruce
Old 04-09-2015, 05:26 PM   #247

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Legal marijuana in Colorado. I guess you can carry a lot of it in a moho. The iconic green license plates really stand out on the back of a mostly white moho, too. Kinda like a big bulls-eye or target. The last trooper that stopped us for "weaving" on a very windy day in Oklahoma told me they were profiling RV's from Colorado. I asked what they were looking for, and he said illegal drugs and human trafficking. I had neither, so we were given a warning for "weaving".

Kansas and Nebraska are currently suing Colorado for the legal marijuana laws. Lots of stories in the Denver papers about folks getting stopped as soon as they leave Colorado and enter either state.

Bruce
Ok, thanks. I wasn't thinking about that. That stinks. Thanks for the info. I hope it gets straightened out somehow.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #248

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New Supreme Court Decision

For those of you who have been following this thread there was a decision announced by the supreme court which will greatly affect this topic.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...-9972_p8k0.pdf

After a routine traffic stop. The court found it was unconstitutional for the police to make you wait while they get a drug sniffing dog to check for drugs. The case at bar was someone that the police offer gave him his ticket and then asked to have a drug sniffing dog check his car. The person refused. The police officer then made them wait 8 minutes while another officer arrived and a drug dog sniffed the car and alerted on methamphetamine's. The government took the attitude the time waited was de minus but the supreme court disagreed.

Bottom line. If you are stopped leaving colorado for a traffic stop and they want to search your car or get a drug dog. If you tell them know and they make you wait then they are liable for a lawsuit of violation of your constitutional rights under the 4th amendment.

Nice to see that the supreme court still believes that we have constitutional rights.

This was announced today. Not all law enforcement officers are probably aware of it yet.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:33 PM   #249

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
For those of you who have been following this thread there was a decision announced by the supreme court which will greatly affect this topic.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...-9972_p8k0.pdf

Ii
After a routine traffic stop. The court found it was unconstitutional for the police to make you wait while they get a drug sniffing dog to check for drugs. The case at bar was someone that the JujU police offer gave him his ticket and then asked to have a drug sniffing dog check his car. The person refused. The police officer then made them wait 8 minutes while another officer arrived and a drug dog sniffed the car and alerted on methamphetamine's. The government took the attitude the time waited was de minus but the supreme court disagreed.

Bottom line. If you are stopped leaving colorado for a traffic stop and they want to search your car or get a drug dog. If you tell them know and they make you wait then they are liable for a lawsuit of violation of your constitutional rights under the 4th amendment.

Nice to see that the supreme court still believes that we have constitutional rights.

This was announced today. Not all law enforcement officers are probably aware of it yet.
One police officer write the ticket taking all the time he/she needs, the other walks around the car with a dog. Sound like its about making a person wait without cause, not about using a dog during a traffic stop. Can a police officer ask to search before the traffic stop has ended?
Old 04-21-2015, 06:13 PM   #250

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
One police officer write the ticket taking all the time he/she needs, the other walks around the car with a dog. Sound like its about making a person wait without cause, not about using a dog during a traffic stop. Can a police officer ask to search before the traffic stop has ended?
My understanding of the language in the decision. The supreme court is not going to allow that either to some extent. The officer cannot delay his normal activity in order for a dog to be brought or anything that he needs to buy time to do. He has a normal amount of time to do traffic stops and if he exceeds that then he is in violation. I am not sure what would happen if you have two police officers with a dog and one of them did what you suggest. Walk around the vehicle while the other gave out the ticket. I did not believe that would be met very well from the language in the decision. This post was pretty specific in the comments about people being stopped and asked if they could search. When the police were told no they would make you set by the side of the road while they send for a dog or a warrant etc. I believe the decision that was announced today would view doing that as a violation of your constitutional rights under the 4th amendment and would leave them open to lawsuits.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:33 AM   #251

This is a real game changer at least in my opinion. Do you have the name of the case so I can do some more research on this? I think if you are stopped by a car containing two officers one of which is a K-9 officer they would have time to run the dog around the RV. Of course if an officer "asks" if you would mind waiting for a K-9 officer to check your RV and you agree then you have opened the door for them, so to speak.
Without having read the opinion this is just a guess but it could fall into a 1983 type violition of your rights. This is the condition that scares a lot of cops because it allows the violating officer to be sued PERSONALLY. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:57 AM   #252

I guess I am getting old, by the time I finished reading everything I had forgotten the link in the first post about the USSC. Sorry about that, Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote