Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2015, 08:44 AM   #253

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04fxsts View Post
I guess I am getting old, by the time I finished reading everything I had forgotten the link in the first post about the USSC. Sorry about that, Jim.
LOL I do that all the time. I think it is going to be a real game changer. I would be very upset if I was leaving colorado in my Motor Home and had a police officer pull me over then tell me I was going to have to sit by the side of the road on the ground while they went after a drug dog to search my vehicle. I believe this decision will hopefully make police officers actually have to have a reason before they detain people.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #254

At the very least it should prevent phishing. I know that's an Internet term but I think it applies to a rogue cop looking for a reason to bust someone beyond the original traffic infraction.
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:30 PM   #255

Never Ever ever ever say yes to search, ever, ever…
Even through you know you have nothing illegal and have done nothing illegal.

I know of cases where dirt and sticks were claimed to be "marajuana residue" by the officer on the floor of the car, guy arrested, car impounded… Only later when they actually tested it was it found to be dirt and sticks.

Officers are only human, can make mistakes, have bad days, and be jerks as well as nice. Do not give them any opportunity to misinterpret anything. The less you show your hand the better. Comply with all laws of course, but always ask if you are "free to go". If he says no, ask why are you being detained.
compute42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:51 PM   #256

+ a billion what he said above!
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:16 PM   #257

You know earlier I replied with yes go ahead and search. But now I have to take back my reply. Its nope you cant (even though I have nothing to hide). And if I have to wait on a dog and warrant, I will sue the city not the policeman. And they best not ask me to step out of my moho either and to sit on the curb. I'm just ranting. Perhaps I should take my pill now.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:05 PM   #258

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikensallyt View Post
You know earlier I replied with yes go ahead and search. But now I have to take back my reply. Its nope you cant (even though I have nothing to hide). And if I have to wait on a dog and warrant, I will sue the city not the policeman. And they best not ask me to step out of my moho either and to sit on the curb. I'm just ranting. Perhaps I should take my pill now.
Looking thru the recent Supreme Court ruling, it mentions that PD can still order you out of your vehicle for their safety. However, once the traffic stop aspect is over, you have the right to leave, unless you are being detained. Thus the reason to ask "Am I free to go, or am I being detained". Hopefully others that know more about this will explain it better.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:09 PM   #259

RVs are also know to be rolling meth labs. Smuggling drugs is also common. If you don't want to permit the search, politely refuse.

Bottom line is, the police officer is just trying to do what he is there to do. I like the responses suggesting requesting the supervisor.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:14 AM   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikensallyt View Post
The city will have more money but if the officer is worried the money will come from him/her that scares them. Trust me on this, I used to work with a cop at his day job and we talked about this sort of thing. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:23 AM   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Looking thru the recent Supreme Court ruling, it mentions that PD can still order you out of your vehicle for their safety. However, once the traffic stop aspect is over, you have the right to leave, unless you are being detained. Thus the reason to ask "Am I free to go, or am I being detained". Hopefully others that know more about this will explain it better.

Bruce
tks, I hope I remember this one. I don't think it will ever happen but just in case. You just never know.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:13 AM   #262

If asked, the answer is NO. Nicely. Never raise your voice. Never argue. Just say NO. If they go ahead and search, let them. Sue later, that is what judges and lawyers are for.

Once you say YES, you have just given them the legal right to do most anything.

After saying no, then they have to decide if they want to get a warrant. You might have to wait a while. In a little bit after saying no, ask politely if you are free to go. At that time, they have to make a decision to detain you, or not.

If they really do not have a good reason to hold you, most will let you go.

Again, NEVER argue, get mad, raise your voice, call them names, etc., on the side of the road. Arguments are for courts. You would be amazed at how little you have to do, to get charged with something.
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #263

Always smike and be in good cheer.

LEO are just people doing what they do to support their family.

Doing your best to be a friendly happy person helps to make their day a bit less stressful.

You may get a "roadside discount" and be written up for less speed or in our case a missing front plate when we were zipping along one night at about 95 in the F250.

That one was only a $25.00 admin fee.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:52 AM   #264

Monaco Owners Club
If they pull me over for no reason, smiling and good cheer will not be my response, that's for sure.
Drug dealers are also just trying to support their families, but that doesn't make it right.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:12 AM   #265

The LEO will give you a reason to pull you over.

How you handle it is how it will go.

If you feel it a bad stop still be happy and smile at that time but do follow up later.

Things can go real bad real fast if you have a bad leo on a bad day.

Bad attitude will make it worse for you fast.

Simply state no to search request and also ask why.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:26 AM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
If they pull me over for no reason, smiling and good cheer will not be my response, that's for sure.
Drug dealers are also just trying to support their families, but that doesn't make it right.
T-man...listen to what TQ-60 said. He's absolutely right. Sure you can raise your voice express your outrage and start reciting your rights...all that may help you win the battle, the battle being you feel good because you showed them you're not a push over, but the war could be lost...it could be something as simple as slightly bald tires, no license plate light, chipped windshield...even dirty headlights...in some states, that could earn you a 'parting gift' trust me...the list could be endless.

You ALWAYS stand to gain more by being nice and, as he said...a bit more cheerful.
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote