Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #309

Freightliner Owners Club
Judge Orders Cop To Return Seized $167,000 Taken From Man For “Driving Too Slow”
You know there is a problem when a police officer can literally steal thousands of dollars from you for no reason other than because you were “driving too slow.”
This week, a federal judge agreed that this confiscation of personal funds was absolutely insane and illegal. That judge ordered the U.S. government to return $167,000 that was stolen by a Nevada police officer. The judge described the law enforcement and state government as having a clear “lack of candor” in this case.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal reported that a Nevada state trooper stopped Straughn Gorman in his motor home on Interstate 80 back in January 2013. The reason? The officer alleged that the massive motor home was “driving too slow.”
The officer demanded to search the motor home. Gorman refused to consent to a search. So the trooper actually let him go… But it was all a trick.
The trooper radioed ahead to an Elko County sheriff’s deputy. That deputy pulled the motor home over without any probable cause whatsoever. At the request of the trooper, the deputy searched the motor home with a drug-sniffing dog.
The deputy said the dog turned up a “hit”. There was something “suspicious in the motor home.
But that “something suspicious” wasn’t drugs. It wasn’t anything illegal at all. It was just money.
The driver didn’t trust banks. Whether you view that as normal, eccentric or even a bit “crazy” is irrelevant. The $167,000 hidden in the vehicle was obtained entirely legally.
But none of that mattered to the cops. They confiscated – they stole – the money, turning it over to the federal “authorities” for civil forfeiture proceedings, even though Gorman was never charged with a crime.
The State claimed that Gorman might have been intending to use the money to purchase marijuana.
Gorman says nothing of the sort was going on. He wasn’t buying marijuana. He wasn’t buying anything. He just kept his savings in cash and kept it on him. He was actually on his way to visit his girlfriend in Sacramento.
Watch the local report below…
Federal judge orders return of $167,000 seized during traffic stop
Senior U.S. District Judge Larry Hicks ruled that the U.S. Attorneys Office in Reno was actually concealing information about the illegal nature of both the initial and subsequent traffic stops.
“No matter how this can be viewed, the two stops were for minor traffic violations and they both were extended beyond the legitimate purposes for such traffic stops,” Hicks explained in his ruling.
The fact that the second stop would not have occurred if not for the first violated Gorman’s Fourth Amendment rights.
The judge ruled that the trooper and deputies did not have “independent reasonable suspicion” to conduct the second traffic stop. Both cops broke the law.
“This district has recently emphasized the importance of candor to the court at all stages of investigation,” the judge explained.
Vincent Savarese, Gorman’s lawyer, said that it is “dismay[ing] that it required so much effort and litigation to bring the truthful facts to light that allowed Judge Hicks to make an informed decision.”
(Article by M. David and Jackson Marciana)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #310

Monaco Owners Club
Waiting for the fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Got stopped once in 25 years for speeding and it was last month in CA. Purely a "money" stop, no discussion, just asked for my license and insurance info and started writing. Still waiting for the fine to show up in the mail.
If you're not home and on the road, If you don't pay it in TEN DAYS it DOUBLES. If you still haven't paid it, it goes to collections. Don't ask me how I know, just let me say, no way to stop at 45 mph for a 2 second yellow in MEMPHIS TN

Old 07-05-2015, 01:10 PM   #311

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am curious if he only got his money back or was awarded attorney fees and interest. I also wonder if the police officers that colluded to seize his money are still on the force in their respective police departments or work for any other law enforcement organization.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:05 PM   #312

American Coach Owners Club
I'm somewhat fascinated that any law officer would pull over a motor-home without a lot of backup. Seems very dangerous to me and especially if he's one to approach the driver while he's still seated. Then wanting to go inside, as well. Would you proceed if say the bedroom door was closed?
I mean who knows how many people might be hidden in the coach and maybe armed for bear and having ill intent?
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:31 PM   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post
If you're not home and on the road, If you don't pay it in TEN DAYS it DOUBLES. If you still haven't paid it, it goes to collections. Don't ask me how I know, just let me say, no way to stop at 45 mph for a 2 second yellow in MEMPHIS TN
This is where a dash cam with GPS can help. If you can show the yellow is below the required minimum length you can get off. It does mean you may have to stick around for awhile but that's the facts of life.

If I did my math correctly 40MPH is 117.333 feet in 2 seconds. Legally I think they have to figure at least .5 to .75 seconds for reaction time. They also have to figure in an average stopping distance for the speed of the road.

Given a 40MPH road, 70 foot wide intersection and no grade US DOT, see link below, yellow timing should be no less than 5.4 seconds. Anything under that is non standard and could be deemed illegal. If there is a down grade the timing must be longer and if it's an upgrade their can be shorter. If one takes the dot standard to court and can show the short yellow the ticket should be dropped. One would also want to ask the judge to require the timings be fixed.

DOT standards Traffic Signal Timing Manual: Chapter 5 - Office of Operations
Old 07-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #314

Seems your best defense, when stopped, is to record everything that is done & said.

What are the legal technicalities of audio/video recording everything that happens during the police stop,... openly or covertly?
Old 07-05-2015, 08:13 PM   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99phantoms View Post
Seems your best defense, when stopped, is to record everything that is done & said.

What are the legal technicalities of audio/video recording everything that happens during the police stop,... openly or covertly?
SCOTUS has ruled it's totally legal. The problem with a MH is the sheer size. You need at least 5 cameras, 6 is better, to cover the outside and 2 to 3 to cover the inside so that takes a 8 channel system.

I've seen several good ones on the market for under $2,000 or so. They are 1080P systems with audio on all channels as long as the camera has a mic. They also have GPS, WiFi, 3 sensor lines you can use for turn and stop lights and a cell data connection. With a 2TB drive they can record 8 channels for 16 days.

Add a Spot Trace so if someone drives off with your RV you can easily find it plus have pictures of the culprits.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:48 PM   #316

How 'bout just using a cell phone... either you or someone traveling with you?

Or put the cell phone in your shirt pocket & turn on the audio recording?
Old 07-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #317

The problem is that the LEOs will NEVER let you move around so you can video the external K9 search and likewise there is no way in hell you can be videoing inside during a search.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:47 AM   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
The problem is that the LEOs will NEVER let you move around so you can video the external K9 search and likewise there is no way in hell you can be videoing inside during a search.

This is what happened too me. Wasn't allowed too watch dog "alert" on a bay, nor be around when they went thru my safe. Had money in it and was worried some would get ripped-off. Got lucky and none was missing 😜

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
Old 07-06-2015, 01:15 AM   #319

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post
Nope, I got stopped in very early March and didn't have to pay the fine until June 9th , which I did.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:17 AM   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
This is what happened too me. Wasn't allowed too watch dog "alert" on a bay, nor be around when they went thru my safe. Had money in it and was worried some would get ripped-off. Got lucky and none was missing 😜

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
I wish someone would take legal action which would force the requirement that all K9 searched must be videoed and that the video must be given to the defendet so they could have a K9 expert check it. There are just way too many question about K9 searched being false or fake hits So requiring this is not unreasonable.

How did they get into your safe? I don't think they have the legal right to compel you to open it just like they can't force you to unlock your phone.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:25 PM   #321

compelled to unlock phone

How did they get into your safe? I don't think they have the legal right to compel you to open it just like they can't force you to unlock your phone.[/QUOTE]

Interesting note - they can't compel you to put in a code to unlock your phone, but the Supreme Court ruled that if your phone uses a fingerprint to unlock they can compel you to open the phone using your fingerprint since you can already be compelled to provide a fingerprint.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:37 PM   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
Interesting note - they can't compel you to put in a code to unlock your phone, but the Supreme Court ruled that if your phone uses a fingerprint to unlock they can compel you to open the phone using your fingerprint since you can already be compelled to provide a fingerprint.
I don't think SCOTUS has ruled on this yet just the Virginia courts or at least I can't find where they did.