Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2015, 08:07 AM   #323

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They are looking for money to confiscate. Big revenue source these days. I was pulled over by Sheriffs deputies on I40 in AK a couple of years ago and they asked if I had guns, knives or money inside. I said no, a kitchen draw full and no. I actually did a couple of thousand hidden for emergencies but for some reason I said no. They said that they were looking for drug haulers. They spent a couple of hours asking me if they could search and I said no repeatedly. They threatened and cajoled and kept sticking the consent form under my nose and telling me it was just a form. Eventually they left. It was only later that I found that they were looking for money. It was on the news.
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2015, 05:07 PM   #324

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
They are looking for money to confiscate. Big revenue source these days. I was pulled over by Sheriffs deputies on I40 in AK a couple of years ago and they asked if I had guns, knives or money inside. I said no, a kitchen draw full and no. I actually did a couple of thousand hidden for emergencies but for some reason I said no. They said that they were looking for drug haulers. They spent a couple of hours asking me if they could search and I said no repeatedly. They threatened and cajoled and kept sticking the consent form under my nose and telling me it was just a form. Eventually they left. It was only later that I found that they were looking for money. It was on the news.
May I ask do you feel that you were stereotype? If not why were you questioned for so long?
Freebird1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #325

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you meant AR for Arkansas, instead of AK for Alaska. ;-) I am curious - what was the reason they gave to keep you there for several hours? That is far longer than any routine traffic stop.
ScottS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:12 PM   #326

Quote:
The fact they didn't bring in a K9 in the first few minutes proves they had no PC and were fishing for some reason to find PC.

Always remember the magic words, "I'm I being detained? Am I free to go?" After a few minutes I would be asking for a lawyer and if they refused I'd try to call someone who could find one for me and send them to the scene.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:29 AM   #327

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
The fact they didn't bring in a K9 in the first few minutes proves they had no PC and were fishing for some reason to find PC.

Always remember the magic words, "I'm I being detained? Am I free to go?" After a few minutes I would be asking for a lawyer and if they refused I'd try to call someone who could find one for me and send them to the scene.
Couple of good points there. If I knew what I know now I would have asked exactly that. They were quite conversational most of the time and kept asking innocent questions. They kept it light mostly but kept asking to get in. It took me a long time to find the insurance info. I was very rattled not knowing if I was going to disappear into the Arkansas (yes) legal system. They did allude to the possibility that I could go downtown for a longer discussion and they kept asking each other it the dog (in the back seat of Reuther car) wasn't making a lot of fuss and kind of insinuating that it smelled something.
When they pulled me over they said that they could not see the sticker on my plate. They then said they could see it now but that there were a lot of RV's running drugs on 40 and would I mind if they had a look around. They eventually did bring the dog out and walked it around the RV just before they left. Very scary.

PS. There were no drugs inside. Being 62 and having survived the 60's,through 80's alive but slightly damaged I no longer partake.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:02 AM   #328

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post

After "couldn't see your sticker" they said that they were checking for drug trafficking. I found it interesting that they did not mention that one of my bikes did block the plate a little. Enough for a citation if they wanted. I also could not find my insurance card but they said that they had already verified that I was insured and not to worry. It was only later, after the business of local police taking money from travelers, that I realized they were just working on getting inside and I suspect, looking for money. An out of state RV would be a good target.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:02 PM   #329

Read entire post. Extremely interesting read. Hope I can remember.
2013 Newell #1472
2006 Travel Supreme Select
Dale F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:16 PM   #330

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't want to go anywhere anymore. No more privacy. I don't have friends tracking through my motorhome and certainly not dogs. This stuff just ticks me off. I will now add Colorado to the don't go there list. oiiiy!
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #331

With the latest SCOTUS ruling in place now it would have changed the way this went down.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:42 PM   #332

My funniest was when we came back into the US from Campobello Island, Canada. If you've never been, you might not know that there is almost nothing there, not even a gas station. They looked in our shower, every cabinet, etc. I finally said to my husband, loud enough to be heard, "If they're looking for illegal immigrants, I don't know why they aren't looking under the bench seats of the dinette. We could fit 2 or 3 in there, if they were small." The guy doing the inspection shot a look at the dinette, but let it go. I think he just had to keep up there a while to make it look like he was earning his keep. Or maybe he was just lonely. Ya gotta laugh...!
Old 07-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #333

Years ago our cousin would go to Mexico to buy booze...no tax and he was under age.

Had old Chevy Wagon with spare under floor in back and that is where he carried.

One trip when asked he stated he did not have any weed and they tore the car apart and looked everywhere but there.

Easy to notice a space from below but they did not look there.

Must have assumed no one would hide there or were clueless....In the 70's
Old 07-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #334

Winnebago Owners Club
The agents at the border have the authority to search anything anytime they want.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:04 AM   #335

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
The agents at the border have the authority to search anything anytime they want.
Yes but only if you are crossing the border. Otherwise NO!
Old 07-11-2015, 05:46 PM   #336

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I just read this article on RV Travel Newsletter.

A federal court has ordered police in Nevada to return $167,000 taken from an RVer in a flimsy traffic stop back in 2013. Straughn Gorman was driving his motorhome to California when stopped for driving too slow in the left lane. Police questioned him and asked to search his rig, but Gorman turned them down. The officer turned Gorman loose then colluded with another police agency, and Gorman was stopped again. This time a drug-sniffing dog "alerted," and officers got a warrant to search. No drugs, but the big money was found, which they confiscated. The judge found "omissions" in the officers' testimony and that the state had no right to the confiscated cash.

Bullies with badges !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote