Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2015, 05:58 AM   #365

Donut lover: Thank you for your service in police work and military. I don't know where you are from and I figure you are correct about a CCW not showing up in a DL check in your state. Here in Illinois it will show up if your plate is run. Unlike Timon I do not consider this a bad thing. The LE officers I have talked to in my area consider this a positive thing. A CCW means you have had a background check and you are not a felon or substance abuser and unlikley to be any trouble. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2015, 06:03 AM   #366

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
I hate to take this thread down yet another rabbit hole ... but I can't help but wonder why a "Not that I know of" response would illicit that response?

I'm an IT technerd by trade - where the devil lives in the details. In the world I live in - the tiny details matter a whole heap. A "checkmark" in Box "X" can completely change an outcome - so I've grown accustomed to being as thorough and accurate as I possibly can.

When I go to the doctor and they ask me if I'm allergic to any medications - my answer is always "None that I know of". Why? Because it's the truth - there are tons of medications that I haven't tried yet (thankfully!) and I don't know if I'm allergic to any of those.

Were I to be asked if there was anything illegal in my coach - I could easily hear myself saying "None that I know of" - for exactly that same reason. I've seen/read enough stories about people finding stuff hidden in their vehicles that they had no idea was there ... and I haven't been thru every nook and cranny of my coach. A "none that I know of" answer in the face of a search that would potentially examine places in my coach that I've never examined - would be my being completely honest - not me trying to be evasive.

From a LEO's perspective ... what will bring me more pain? Am I better off giving you a completely honest "None that I know of" - or a confident "No officer" and potentially dealing with the consequences of having "lied" to you if something is found deep in the bowels of my vehicle that I honestly didn't know was there?
Good point. I am a diver. I have a diver's knife that straps to my ankle. I also have bear spray for visits to northern National Parks. Either one could be an excuse to search but neither is kept as a weapon. I said no.

I need to ask a question here. In the past I have carried a shotgun and kept it in as self defense. I would have preferred a handgun but the permitting is sketchy. Here is the question. Id I answer "Yes I have a shotgun" and it is legally stored and empty, will that get me searched?
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut lover View Post
Timon, if that's YOUR perception...well, I'm truly sorry to hear that.
Timon...I stand corrected. It's been brought to my attention that running a plate iin some states does in fact bring up CCW info. I should have checked that point BEFORE asserting it to be crap...my apologies to you.

I've yet to discover though how running a DL would yield that same info, but, if there is in fact a state that follows that procedure, again...my apologies.

Timon, all I ask is that you begin having faith in law enforcement...we serve a purpose. We can't please everyone, but remember, we have to keep several balls in the air at one time, i.e., protecting citizenry from "lawlessness", instilling faith and confidence in the system yet being careful not to tread on individual's constitutional rights. Sometimes one or more of those balls hit the ground...we're not the best jugglers out there, but we try. When one refuses to at least try, they're usually tossed out...and a lot of them are.

Think positively about LEO's and it will reflect in the way you are treated at a police encounter...I guarantee that.
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:19 AM   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04fxsts View Post
Donut lover: Thank you for your service in police work and military. I don't know where you are from and I figure you are correct about a CCW not showing up in a DL check in your state. Here in Illinois it will show up if your plate is run. Unlike Timon I do not consider this a bad thing. The LE officers I have talked to in my area consider this a positive thing. A CCW means you have had a background check and you are not a felon or substance abuser and unlikley to be any trouble. Jim.
Thanks Jim...I've posted an apology to Timon for my "assumption" on that issue. My best to you!
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:24 AM   #369

National RV Owners Club
I retired from a large law enforcement agency and had operational responsibility for numerous officers in the field. There were 5 or more levels of supervisors in my chain of command. One thing to keep in mind is that it is impossible to always have officers that react to the public in a reasonable responsible manner. (This seems especially true during a Monday morning "quarterback" session.) Many a morning I'd be wondering what the heck went through that officers mind at that point in time when he confronted or was confronted or what was going through the other persons mind. It is great to have officers like Donut Lover out there but do keep in mind not all operate as he did. I salute him for a job well done.

All that said things are different now, I retired 22 years ago. Personally, I'd want to have the officer articulate a reason if he/she felt a need to enter my RV.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:08 PM   #370

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I retired from a large law enforcement agency and had operational responsibility for numerous officers in the field. There were 5 or more levels of supervisors in my chain of command. One thing to keep in mind is that it is impossible to always have officers that react to the public in a reasonable responsible manner. (This seems especially true during a Monday morning "quarterback" session.) Many a morning I'd be wondering what the heck went through that officers mind at that point in time when he confronted or was confronted or what was going through the other persons mind. It is great to have officers like Donut Lover out there but do keep in mind not all operate as he did. I salute him for a job well done.

All that said things are different now, I retired 22 years ago. Personally, I'd want to have the officer articulate a reason if he/she felt a need to enter my RV.
Bob...good info. I agree with you 100%...I too would want an officer to articulate a reason he/she would like to check my coach. So glad you made it thru the "gauntlet" Hopefully your body was more intact than mine was when I left...best to you bro!
Old 07-19-2015, 07:25 PM   #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
I wondered about the same thing. Of course none of us would have narcotics or drugs, but my concealed carry trainer suggested that we say "not that I know of" if asked if we had a weapon and did not have one. His reasoning was that if your spouse had left one under the seat, you did not want to be caught lying to the officer.
Very poor advice "not that I know of"

In North Carolina, which accepts most other States Concealed Carry Permits, the law states:
§ 14-415.21. .....

(a) A person who has been issued a valid permit who is found to be carrying a concealed handgun without the permit in the person's possession or who fails to disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun, as required by G.S. 14-415.11, shall be guilty of an infraction and shall be punished in accordance with G.S. 14-3.1.

Which means that if you - with an out of state permit and a handgun in your possession (which includes in your vehicle) - Must inform the LEO.

Maybe your State does not have such provisions but since you have a RV you might well be in NC or other States that do, I respectfully suggest that you do inform.

Originally Posted by Donut lover

"I've yet to discover though how running a DL would yield that same info, but, if there is in fact a state that follows that procedure, again...my apologies."

Yes there is North Carolina - My DL# is on my CCW

PHESPE.
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:32 PM   #372

PHESPE states:

PHESPE...so I understand a NC CCW permit uses CDL numbers for tracking, but, take a look at your DL...is there any indication on your DL that you have a CCW permit?
Old 07-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut lover View Post
PHESPE states:

PHESPE...so I understand a NC CCW permit uses CDL numbers for tracking, but, take a look at your DL...is there any indication on your DL that you have a CCW permit?
NO, but I do know that if/when a NC LEO checks my DL (calls it in) the response will provide info that I am a CCW Holder.

PHESPE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:36 AM   #374

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with phespe when they check my Arkansas drivers license the dispatcher informs the officer that I have a concealed carry permit. A case in point. A friend of mine was on his way to work and stopped at a liquor store to get some wine to take home after work. His car would not start and he recieved permission to leave it there and come back for it later. He walked the rest of the way to work and when i got off at midnight he took a lunch break and we went back for his car. When we got there the whole parking lot was full of police cruisers. Someone had seen his car parked there and got the idea there was a break in going on at the liquor store. We pulled in and told them we were there to jump start his dead battery. They asked for ID and we gave them our drivers licenses. Because i had not been stopped I did not think to warn them I had a concealed carry permit. When the dispatcher notified them I had a concealed carry permit they got all excited. Then I had to go through the whole do you have a gun and when I said not the why not routine. So yes I do know for a fact that in Arkansas when you check a drivers license with dispatch it shows up you have a concealed carry permit.

I also like a previous poster have been pulled over for the You were weaving excuse. It invariably happens on a Friday night when I get off of work at midnight or later if working overtime. It is very obvious that it was an excuse to pull me over and see if I had been drinking or had alcohol in my car. Then we always get into the do you have a weapon and why not when i dont. I usually point to the patch on my shirt that says United States Postal Service and tell them i have just got off work and my employer frowns very heavily on bringing firearms to work.

AS a previous poster said not all police officers are polite when they pull you over. Most of them are but not all of them.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:53 AM   #375

National RV Owners Club
I have a CCW permit as a retired federal law enforcement officer. The state of Oregon is not involved in this process and I do not provide my drivers license number, DOB, etc. I am provided a CCW permit/identity card. Awhile back I was stopped and the first question the officer asked was if I was armed. I was not. I suspect the information the dispatcher provided came from the firearms purchase database that the state maintains and that the records are cross checked or flagged when the officer requests information. I've bought a few handguns in Oregon and am required to provide the dealer the drivers license number as part of the background check. Next time, if ever stopped again, I'll ask the officer about that process.

The second comment from the State Trooper was we were being recorded which I told him was great. That should protect both of us. He asked the routine questions and after a few moments I was on my way. No searches, no seizures, nothing worth complaining about.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:36 PM   #376

WOW, I'm so "CORNFUSED". lol.
I had to read through this entire thread to figure out what CCW meant. lol.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:21 PM   #377

counter-clock-wise... right?
99phantoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:51 AM   #378

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99phantoms View Post
counter-clock-wise... right?
Only if you draw left handed.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899