Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #71

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredblade View Post
I've been thru that inspection station more time than you can shake a stick at and everytime they were waving everyone thru. California is broke and can't afford to man those points like years ago. Back in the seventies when I went thru they stopped me and I asked why, she said because your from Pa. and we are checking for gypsy moths! I said we haven't had them for over two years. At that time they were over in Minnesota! Then she waved me thru, what a joke.
I was returning from a trip from Alabama and was carrying some hickory to Bar-B-Cue with.
They confiscated my would as a measure against. fire ants.
Apparently in California fire ants live in trees.
I tried to explain that plain old Alabama fire ants live in the ground but he couldn't quite grasp the concept.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2015, 10:49 PM   #72

This has been a very interesting and informative thread. Over the past 2 years, I have taken 3 RV vacations to the Midwest and back, and have been stopped 4 times by various highway patrol agencies. Once in KS, once in OK, and twice in 15 minutes in IL. On the KS stop, and the first of the 2 in IL, my rig was thoroughly searched (with my permission). No citations were issued, as there was never any valid reason for the stop in the first place. Being that I travel by myself with my golden lab, and have no towed vehicle, I guess that makes me a prime target. In the IL search, the officer told me that if I didn't consent to a search, he was permitted to have his drug-sniffing dog go around the outside of the vehicle, and if the dog alerted him to something, he would then have probable cause to search the inside. By that time, he had already called for back-up. He also told me I had to remain outside the vehicle while he tore the inside apart. In the KS stop, I was told to remove the money from my pocket, and the officer sniffed each bill individually.

While the officers in all situations were polite and respectful, these events have certainly taken much of the enjoyment out of RV traveling in general in my retirement years, as it is not a matter of "if", but "when" on each and every trip. Maybe I need a blow-up doll for the front passenger seat, but I don't think you can buy one that look like a 60 year old woman!

While I now believe that I will stand my ground when the inevitable happens again this summer, I suspect the price I will pay for not giving in to the cop will be a citation for straddling the white line or an improper lane change, and I wonder if that's worth the hassle in order to win an argument. Looks like I will be investing in a dash cam this year.
terryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:13 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryl View Post
This has been a very interesting and informative thread. Over the past 2 years, I have taken 3 RV vacations to the Midwest and back, and have been stopped 4 times by various highway patrol agencies. Once in KS, once in OK, and twice in 15 minutes in IL. On the KS stop, and the first of the 2 in IL, my rig was thoroughly searched (with my permission). No citations were issued, as there was never any valid reason for the stop in the first place. Being that I travel by myself with my golden lab, and have no towed vehicle, I guess that makes me a prime target. In the IL search, the officer told me that if I didn't consent to a search, he was permitted to have his drug-sniffing dog go around the outside of the vehicle, and if the dog alerted him to something, he would then have probable cause to search the inside. By that time, he had already called for back-up. He also told me I had to remain outside the vehicle while he tore the inside apart. In the KS stop, I was told to remove the money from my pocket, and the officer sniffed each bill individually.

While the officers in all situations were polite and respectful, these events have certainly taken much of the enjoyment out of RV traveling in general in my retirement years, as it is not a matter of "if", but "when" on each and every trip. Maybe I need a blow-up doll for the front passenger seat, but I don't think you can buy one that look like a 60 year old woman!

While I now believe that I will stand my ground when the inevitable happens again this summer, I suspect the price I will pay for not giving in to the cop will be a citation for straddling the white line or an improper lane change, and I wonder if that's worth the hassle in order to win an argument. Looks like I will be investing in a dash cam this year.

It is my understanding that the dog "allerting" gives the officer probable cause to search. I don't agree with this ruling but it's one we have to deal with. I truly believe that the dog handler can coax the dog into "alerting".
How are you to know? Are you a trained dog handler that speaks German? I would decline any request for search. Let them jump through the legal hoops with dogs. Only two outcomes. They couldn't coax the dog to alert and you leave or they do coax the dog and search and still find nothing. That is unless the officer plants something during the search.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:21 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsm View Post
Honey ................where da donuts.
Heyyyyy!!!!
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:20 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Navigator View Post
It is my understanding that the dog "allerting" gives the officer probable cause to search. I don't agree with this ruling but it's one we have to deal with. I truly believe that the dog handler can coax the dog into "alerting".
How are you to know? Are you a trained dog handler that speaks German? I would decline any request for search. Let them jump through the legal hoops with dogs. Only two outcomes. They couldn't coax the dog to alert and you leave or they do coax the dog and search and still find nothing. That is unless the officer plants something during the search.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
Not on the road but at a former place of employment, the company had the local police come in with drug dogs. I had left for the day and the dogs came in and sniffed all the personal tool boxes in my department with no "alerts." This apparently was not what they expected or wanted so they ran the dogs through again. This time the handlers had "hits" on three toolboxes. My boss was there at the time watching the whole thing and said it was obvious the hits were encouraged buy the handlers. And nothing was ever found in any of these boxes. I have heard a large percentage of cash in circulation will have been exposed to cocaine so a hit there really means very little.
I cannot be positive but it is me understanding that you can only be detained for a short time waiting for a dog, I am thinking 20 minutes. I am a supporter of LE but will not give permission for them to go on a fishing expedition in my MH or truck. If they have PC they will search if not they will "ask." Refusal of a search is also NOT PC for a search. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:54 AM   #76

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
In my best German accent:

Your papers, please ?
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:31 AM   #77

Freightliner Owners Club
If you told a Police officer "No, you do not have permission to search. But would you like to come in for a tour of my RV?" Would this give up your rights and allow the officer to search?
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:06 AM   #78

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones47172 View Post
If you told a Police officer "No, you do not have permission to search. But would you like to come in for a tour of my RV?" Would this give up your rights and allow the officer to search?
yes for anything in plain sight
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:12 AM   #79

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryl View Post

Where is your Motor Home licensed that they suspect you. I drove my MH from Arkansas to California by msyelf the first year I had it was never stopped. Drive it around Oklahoma and Arkansas a lot never been stopped. Sometimes i have my wife sometimes i do not if she has to work and i have a job where i need it. I have been through at least a half a dozen vehicle stops where they were checking for drunk drivers. They come up to the drivers side window and ask me if I have been drinking. I tell them i do not drink alcohol and they wave me through. Actually with the exception of going into Canada one time out of all the times I have done that and going onto military bases I have never had my vehicle searched. The closest I have had was the police stopping me at a drivers check point. leaning in the car and asking if I had been drinking. While they leaned in they shine their flashlight on the floor and seats looking for empty beer cans or alcohol but other than that never stopped and I have had several nice conversations with police officers concerning my inability to properly understand those signs that say speed limit and a number.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:24 AM   #80

DONUT LOVER....Looking at your life's work, I have nothing but the utmost respect for you. You deserve your high level of relaxation.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:44 AM   #81
GKW

It is sad to see how many take the attitude of "I have nothing to hide, so search all you want." Looking back through our history as a nation up until recently, so many have given their lives to prevent this very situation from happening. Many Germans regretted not standing up to Hitlers thugs before they took complete control. I'm sure the police state we have undeniably evolved into was enabled in good part for too many willing to be subjected to this treatment without protest. Kind of reminds me of the ones who submitted to the bully's back in elementary school.
GKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:53 AM   #82

That's funny. We were stopped at 8:00 in the morning on the interstate in Oklahoma, also for "weaving" although we never crossed into the other lane. I was also asked if I had been drinking. At 8:00 in the morning?
Said he was just making sure we were alright and sent us on our way.

Funny they use the same cause for the stop. In our case it was 8 years ago and we had AZ license plates, but there is likely a lot of weed going east on the interstate from the southwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Last year, we were traveling to Georgia and had already left Colorado, with the now dreaded green license plates as a target. We were stopped in Oklahoma for "weaving" on a very windy day, and when the Trooper asked if we were OK or just being blown around by the wind, I reminded him he was holding his Trooper hat on his head with both hands! He smiled, and then asked if anybody else was in the back of the moho, and I said no. He said "Are you sure?", so I invited him in and asked what type of sandwich he wanted. He grinned, and said that would not be necessary. He asked me to get my license and to join him in his cruiser.

He ran the license, and gave me a warning for "weaving". I asked him what he was really looking for, and he said he was just making sure I was not impaired. He also stated there is a big problem with drugs and human trafficking along the interstates. He then asked me why we were not towing a vehicle behind our moho. I told him our family in Georgia had a spare Jeep for us to use, and he simply said next time it would be better for us to tow our Jeep from Colorado. Not sure what that meant, but I assume it had to do with whatever he was profiling. He also told me the only reason he issued a warning receipt was for me to present it to any future LEO's I may be stopped by in Oklahoma, and it would prevent a similar occurrence.

After getting back on the interstate, we did see a lot of LEO's at the next few exits and overpasses, but none stopped us again. I did not like the feeling of being profiled, it really opened my eyes to that situation. Maybe that was the "life experience" I needed the most, because it was the one that bothered me the most.

So, after reading all of the posts on this thread, along with the other thread concerning property forfeiture, I am now thinking about any problems I had with our traffic stop. The Trooper had a reason to stop me, so beware that traveling on a windy day is reason enough to stop any moho! But the Trooper was very polite, and he did not accept our invitation to search the moho for whatever he was looking for. He had a dog in his cruiser, but I did not see him use the dog to sniff the outside of our moho. That would not have bothered me in the least bit. I am not sure how I will handle it if there is a next time, I am the kind of guy cops love. I treat folks the way I want to be treated, and I do feel that is how he treated me. I felt like the Trooper respected me as much as I respected him, and that is the most I can ask for. I am not sure how I will handle it if I ever feel disrespected by law enforcement officers, since it has never happened in my 41 years of driving and interacting with them. But times are changing, and like others have already mentioned, it is a shame we are even having this conversation. Thanks for all of the input from both sides. Who knows, maybe I am a really naive guy.

Bruce
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #83

I have learned to NOT give any indications of illegal activity if possible. I was speeding (10 over) when a patrol car came over the hill towards me. I saw his brake lights come on and his roof lights come on. I immediately slowed and pulled off the road onto the shoulder. The squad car came flying over the hill--in full pursuit mode. He had to slam on the brakes so hard I thought he would lose control. He came up to me, saw both hands on the wheel and the dome light was on. I had done everything I could to lower his adrenaline and after a pleasant conversation all he did was issue me a warning.
Lesson: Hands in sight, on the wheel. Interior lights on and looking straight ahead. No quick moving around or ducking down.
With our motorhome we stay in sight, no quick moves, be polite, keep conversation general.

Advice from a cop: We will protect you as soon as we get to you. In otherwords, protect yourself.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:31 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird1958 View Post
I have a general question asking if anyone has had an experience that a good friend of mine had traveling through Colorado. My friend and his family of 4 were traveling through Colorado last year when they reach the east border (leaving) of the state a state trooper pulled them over basically for a bogus reason. My friend is a fellow Utility Lineman like I am with his 2 teenage granddaughter the trooper asked if he could search their MH of coarse he found nothing. But the trooper said he was checking all MH for drugs! First is this legal and second why are they checking all MH?
What was the bogus reason? Simply not using a turn signal is a valid reason (illegal lane change), crossing over a solid white line is also a valid reason. One cannot just break the law "a little bit", just like being a little bit pregnant.. it is or isn't.

NIGHTHAWK, I totally agree. I had 2 cousins who retired from the state police, both advised the family to do the same as you did.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote