Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2015, 05:44 AM   #197

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird1958 View Post
Kenny, could you please elaborate? Thanks!
Sure. I was a Cleveland Ohio police officer for 25yrs. The last 5 as a road supervisor.

I simply know that I would never have responded as this officer did. To me, it appears that he was incensed when his authority was questioned. One of the best things you can do if you choose that line of work is to humble yourself. You'll find life is much easier.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2015, 07:10 AM   #198
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Sure. I was a Cleveland Ohio police officer for 25yrs. The last 5 as a road supervisor.

I simply know that I would never have responded as this officer did. To me, it appears that he was incensed when his authority was questioned. One of the best things you can do if you choose that line of work is to humble yourself. You'll find life is much easier.

Wish we had more like you! Not many of them are humble these days!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I'm sure most LEO's feel the same way about the general public. It's seems most folks want their cops to be friendly and have a positive attitude but somehow they feel no obligation to reflect that in their own behavior.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:35 AM   #200
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
I'm sure most LEO's feel the same way about the general public. It's seems most folks want their cops to be friendly and have a positive attitude but somehow they feel no obligation to reflect that in their own behavior.

You're probably right Dan!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post

Thank you sir for your years of service. I also wish that all LEO's had your attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
I'm not sure I totally agree with that generalization. I believe that most people are respectful to law enforcement but I also believe that many want their rights respected.

It's rare that I run into an officer that I needed to push back against. I've only done that when it was totally apparent that they flat out screwed up and they were not going to play nicely. Fortunately that's only happen twice in 40+ years since I've been driving. In one case it happen a new CHP officer who didn't know is car pool lane rules and decided to take the Mr. I know it all and you know nothing attitude rather than I'm sorry sir let me verify the law really quick so I can get you on your way.

As with the general public there are the good and bad and the same thing holds true for LEOs. Fortunately the precent of bad LEOs is much less than the general public.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:00 PM   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Joe, the truth is, many many officers are in fact humbled. There are so many good cops out there, but only the bad boys and in some cases, girls, get the ink.

I did it for 20 years, 3 of which was in narcotics with much of that undercover work. I got to work with some of societies worst. It changes you, but you have to stay focused in your belief that while we in law enforcement want the general public to believe the overwhelmingly vast majority of us are good, we have to also remember that most of society are law abiding and equally good. Believe it or not, if I made someone feel good, I mean really good during my patrol, I felt good at the end of my day.

The way I would do that is I would stop someone for a clear, blatant moving violation. I would ask for their DL, ins. and reg. and return to my car. 5 minutes later, I basically let that motorist decide what I will do...that is to say, when I return, I again briefly explain why we are out there enforcing certain laws, i.e., no left turn signs, stop signs etc. I'm also holding, in my ticket book, a completed moving violation citation that only needs their signature. If, when they realize they are about to be handed a citation to sign, they're still polite and respectful, I hand them their DL, reg and Ins paperwork and ask them to promise me they will make a concerted effort to comply in the future. I then show them the completed ticket thus showing them how their courtesy and respectful demeanor earned them a verbal warning, saving them hundreds of dollars and missed work. I've been met with mouths agape and at times, tears...from men alike. I've also been stopped years later, on two occasions by motorists who reminded me how I gave them a break and how my "act of kindness" changed their way of driving and their perception of police.

One such motorist turned out to be a law professor who wrote a letter to my chief and proclaimed how he planned to use that show of "professionism" in everyone of his law classes until he retires.

Now, I must admit, I didn't do this all the time. Often times two specific factors dictated how I handled the contact. One being the initial contact/walkup...if they were respectful upfront and the other was their history of past offenses...(if it comes up on my computer) Believe me, if I stopped someone for "rolling thru" a stop sign, and their first words to me are, "You know officer, there are rapists and murderers out there, why are you X$#*&@? with me" My customary retort was always..."You're right sir, I completely forgot about that...I'll write your ticket real fast so I can get out there and catch them"

So, here's the thing, I'm not spilling all this so you all can say what a cool cop I was...I'm just one of hundred of thousands who feel the same...give respect and you'll get it in return. If you don't get that break with being nice the first time...don't give up, I assure you, you're sure to run into someone like "me" down the road...there are a lot of "Me's" out there.
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:25 PM   #203

Fleetwood Owners Club
Amen and thanks for your service! In my LEO days I used to love;

Why aren't you out catching bad guys?
I would love too, but fortunately for them, I am having to deal with you.

Short on your quota this month?
No, we don't have a quota-I can write as many talking tickets as I want, the more you talk, the more I write.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:47 PM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian-nicola View Post
Amen and thanks for your service! In my LEO days I used to love;

Why aren't you out catching bad guys?
I would love too, but fortunately for them, I am having to deal with you.

Short on your quota this month?
No, we don't have a quota-I can write as many talking tickets as I want, the more you talk, the more I write.
...and then right before they get to sign the ticket, they have the nads to actually ask if you can give them a warning instead. Incredible. My situation that I spoke of was easier for me than for many in patrol because I was a patrol sergeant so I had the luxury of giving breaks when the opportunity arose where as patrol cops didn't have the luxury of coming into the "house" with a bunch of warning tix.

Thank YOU for YOUR service as well...we made it out the other end...pretty much intact!
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:22 PM   #205

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Got stopped once in 25 years for speeding and it was last month in CA. Purely a "money" stop, no discussion, just asked for my license and insurance info and started writing. Still waiting for the fine to show up in the mail.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:50 PM   #206

I spent 30 years in the military, serving in Air Force Special Operations for most of that time. I served in Vietnam, the Iran Rescue Mission in 1980 , Operation Just Cause in Panama in 1989, and Operation Desert Shield/Storm in 1990 I retired as a Chief Master Sergeant in 1996. I spent those 30 years preserving our freedoms. I will not give up those freedoms on the side of Interstate 10 to save a few moments with law enforcement. If you pull me over and want to search my home, you had better have a search warrant. And I am a law abiding citizen, having never been arrested for anything other than a speeding ticket. I understand those of you that respect law enforcement and feel you have done nothing wrong and have nothing to fear. I just believe that you should have nothing to fear by saying NO!
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:14 AM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Got stopped once in 25 years for speeding and it was last month in CA. Purely a "money" stop, no discussion, just asked for my license and insurance info and started writing. Still waiting for the fine to show up in the mail.
Mr D, I'm probably not going to change your view with this next paragraph, but, I'll throw it out there anyway.

In two plus decades as a police officer, 95% of it in patrol, I never ever heard a supervisor, nor have I ever said as a supervisor, you cops gotta go out there and write more tickets...the state needs the money. What we did was insist our officers go out and be productive. That could be anything "productive" ...even (trying) to get cats out of trees or stopping traffic to assist a slower elderly person cross the street.

We often get numerous complaints about particular stop signs or traffic lights that are rolled or ran so we go out and concentrate on that particular violated area...not to generate money but to try to save lives. We address the issues that are plaguing a particular part of town.

I don't know your particular situation, but when I pace someone who's not only speeding, but doing it in a dangerous manner, i.e., "threading the needle" (changing lanes quickly...zipping around cars going too slow for them), or if everyone is going 10mph over the posted speed limit and you (speaking of any motorist) chooses to go, even 2 mph faster than the other speeders... I never have a conversation with them...I just give them the coupon they so deserve.

I'm sorry you got a speeding ticket. Not to add insult to injury, but, it is going to be expensive. Hopefully you can negotiate for on line traffic school and a reduction in the amount. You'll have to write directly to the court for that.

But...look at the bright side...once in 25 years. That ain't bad at all. unless of course you're only speaking of California
Old 03-24-2015, 12:20 AM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabit View Post
I spent 30 years in the military, serving in Air Force Special Operations for most of that time. I served in Vietnam, the Iran Rescue Mission in 1980 , Operation Just Cause in Panama in 1989, and Operation Desert Shield/Storm in 1990 I retired as a Chief Master Sergeant in 1996. I spent those 30 years preserving our freedoms. I will not give up those freedoms on the side of Interstate 10 to save a few moments with law enforcement. If you pull me over and want to search my home, you had better have a search warrant. And I am a law abiding citizen, having never been arrested for anything other than a speeding ticket. I understand those of you that respect law enforcement and feel you have done nothing wrong and have nothing to fear. I just believe that you should have nothing to fear by saying NO!
Jim...I'm in total agreement with you. I would just add, say "no" as politely as you can. BTW...very impressive military resume'
Old 03-24-2015, 08:57 AM   #209

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Coming out of the Rio Grand Valley yesterday we got to speak to Border Patriot. All vehicles searched. Dogs circling them. Agents everywhere. They stepped up into the semi in front of us. Boarded other units and tailors randomly. I pulled up. Slid open the window and the agent said, "You folks have a nice day."

I can tell you I was not thinking - gee my rights aren't going to be violated by these people. Or - look at those people being abused. I thought - these folks are doing a job and that's my tax dollars at work.

Sure this wasn't a "random, I stop all motor homes" thing. But it was a stop. It could have been a search and the sooner I let them do their job, the sooner I'm on the road. Perspective. All in your perspective.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:04 AM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Coming out of the Rio Grand Valley yesterday we got to speak to Border Patriot. All vehicles searched. Dogs circling them. Agents everywhere. They stepped up into the semi in front of us. Boarded other units and tailors randomly. I pulled up. Slid open the window and the agent said, "You folks have a nice day."

I can tell you I was not thinking - gee my rights aren't going to be violated by these people. Or - look at those people being abused. I thought - these folks are doing a job and that's my tax dollars at work.

Sure this wasn't a "random, I stop all motor homes" thing. But it was a stop. It could have been a search and the sooner I let them do their job, the sooner I'm on the road. Perspective. All in your perspective.

I'm making that trip tomorrow. Did you hit one of the major checkpoints going north? Was it the big one on US281?

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote