Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2015, 09:15 AM   #211

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I'm making that trip tomorrow. Did you hit one of the major checkpoints going north? Was it the big one on US281?

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Yep. It was the big one at 281. Both sides of traffic stopped. When we came down 281 in December it wasn't open. Think it was before Falfurrias heading north, but it was a long day and I've slept since...
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #212

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Maybe this will help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1427210200342.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	89428  
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut lover View Post
Jim...I'm in total agreement with you. I would just add, say "no" as politely as you can. BTW...very impressive military resume'
Like I said above, serving in the military for most of my life, I have a great respect for any person serving in uniform, be it military or law enforcement personnel. Law enforcement put their lives on the line frequently to ensure my safety. I just will not cede my constitutional rights for convenience's sake. I salute you for providing me and my family safety and security. Just realize that in every group, including, unfortunately, law enforcement, there are a few bad apples. I will always treat law enforcement officers with politeness and the respect they deserve, especially if they have caught me doing 65 in a 55 mile per hour zone.
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:58 PM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabit View Post
Like I said above, serving in the military for most of my life, I have a great respect for any person serving in uniform, be it military or law enforcement personnel. Law enforcement put their lives on the line frequently to ensure my safety. I just will not cede my constitutional rights for convenience's sake. I salute you for providing me and my family safety and security. Just realize that in every group, including, unfortunately, law enforcement, there are a few bad apples. I will always treat law enforcement officers with politeness and the respect they deserve, especially if they have caught me doing 65 in a 55 mile per hour zone.
Well said Jim...and thank you for the acknowledgement.
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:29 PM   #215

Coach searched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I'm making that trip tomorrow. Did you hit one of the major checkpoints going north? Was it the big one on US281?

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

I came up 281 out of the RGV yesterday as well. Same deal, they asked through the toll window if we were US citizens and they told us to have a nice trip.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 03-28-2015, 07:47 PM   #216

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
So just as an added twist to this topic. What rights do non citizen's have when asked to search the vehicle. I am Canadian. I could see this happening someday. Do I get the same benefit of rights or do I get treated according to a different category. I would suspect so but perhaps someone here has some idea.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #217

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
So just as an added twist to this topic. What rights do non citizen's have when asked to search the vehicle. I am Canadian. I could see this happening someday. Do I get the same benefit of rights or do I get treated according to a different category. I would suspect so but perhaps someone here has some idea.
Non citizens visiting legally have the same rights. I think illegal immigrants have the same rights, until they get to the border, then it is an entirely different ball game. Here is a link to a website that may help:

https://www.aclu.org/files/kyr/kyr_english_4.pdf

My wifey has relatives that visit from Hungary, they asked the same question.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:01 AM   #218

Quote:
There is one basic difference. US citizens are not required to present documentation but non citizens are required to produce documentation showing you're legally here. This means you have to show your passport or green card.

Other than that you have the same rights as a U.S. citizen.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:11 AM   #219

Country Coach Owners Club
Interesting... I live in the St. Louis area and it seems that its now been proven that many small muni's live off of traffic and court fines. Some have as much as 60% of the annual budget comes from this. That feds and state are making them limit to I beleive 20%.

My shop is about 1.5 miles from ferguson which is a city I used to be on city council for. Seeing suits brought against cities and the cost of those payouts are pretty astounding. Almost all of these have arisen from a over zealous officer(s) That said I have the utmost respect for the job the officers are asked to do. In almost all cases the officer is told to do X. sometimes not having the training or tools do what is asked.

Lastly I would not likely consent to a roadside vehicle search. Not because I have something to hide. But feel that that the 4th amendment as well as the others are important and need to be defended. It looks like the best defense against this are videos shot and posted on youtube and the news. A search on youtube for improper police action will have hours of stuff to watch. making the so called lone wolf or rogue cop argument hard to defend. Abuse is becoming more frequent which is very sad. both for citizens and police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut lover View Post
Mr D, I'm probably not going to change your view with this next paragraph, but, I'll throw it out there anyway.

In two plus decades as a police officer, 95% of it in patrol, I never ever heard a supervisor, nor have I ever said as a supervisor, you cops gotta go out there and write more tickets...the state needs the money. What we did was insist our officers go out and be productive. That could be anything "productive" ...even (trying) to get cats out of trees or stopping traffic to assist a slower elderly person cross the street.

We often get numerous complaints about particular stop signs or traffic lights that are rolled or ran so we go out and concentrate on that particular violated area...not to generate money but to try to save lives. We address the issues that are plaguing a particular part of town.

I don't know your particular situation, but when I pace someone who's not only speeding, but doing it in a dangerous manner, i.e., "threading the needle" (changing lanes quickly...zipping around cars going too slow for them), or if everyone is going 10mph over the posted speed limit and you (speaking of any motorist) chooses to go, even 2 mph faster than the other speeders... I never have a conversation with them...I just give them the coupon they so deserve.

I'm sorry you got a speeding ticket. Not to add insult to injury, but, it is going to be expensive. Hopefully you can negotiate for on line traffic school and a reduction in the amount. You'll have to write directly to the court for that.

But...look at the bright side...once in 25 years. That ain't bad at all. unless of course you're only speaking of California
Steveoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:08 PM   #220

I live in Podunk, AZ, the kind of place where I can stop and chat with the Police Chief at a community bbq. After reading all these posts, I asked him to have a officer come by my house with a drug dog to be sure there's nothing in our newly purchased 2010 WGO Vista. Turns out the PD has had a number of instances where a used vehicle buyer found interesting "stuff."

The cop and his dog just left after giving our coach a clean bill of health but he (the cop, not the dog) said more and more RVs are being used to smuggle contraband due to large CCC. Gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling... NOT!

My neighbor, a lawyer who used to be a cop, says most jurisdictions in AZ can now get a telephonic search warrant in 10 minutes. So, if you refuse to consent to a search, they can have a warrant in the time it takes you to use the bathroom.

For those who can'/don't read or comprehend, I'm not advocating submitting to random searches. I'm just saying it won't be much of a hassle for a cop to get a search warrant in AZ.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:22 PM   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeOts View Post
I live in Podunk, AZ, the kind of place where I can stop and chat with the Police Chief at a community bbq. After reading all these posts, I asked him to have a officer come by my house with a drug dog to be sure there's nothing in our newly purchased 2010 WGO Vista. Turns out the PD has had a number of instances where a used vehicle buyer found interesting "stuff."

The cop and his dog just left after giving our coach a clean bill of health but he (the cop, not the dog) said more and more RVs are being used to smuggle contraband due to large CCC. Gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling... NOT!

My neighbor, a lawyer who used to be a cop, says most jurisdictions in AZ can now get a telephonic search warrant in 10 minutes. So, if you refuse to consent to a search, they can have a warrant in the time it takes you to use the bathroom.

For those who can'/don't read or comprehend, I'm not advocating submitting to random searches. I'm just saying it won't be much of a hassle for a cop to get a search warrant in AZ.
Actually, that's a pretty good idea if you can manage it. When you buy something used, you really have no idea what the previous owner, or his kids, actually did with the RV.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:30 PM   #222

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
You are protected under the 4th amendment of illegal search and seizure. A cop can look thru a window or open door and anything in plain site is fair game but they can not search your vehicle beyond that without your permission or a court order.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:13 PM   #223

back in the day I got a 1972 chevy ,never wore the seat blet ,it was in a plastic folder on the inside of the roof ,guess what I found one day stuck in there a ounce of weed ,sure glad I found it and not a Leo
bulldog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #224

I'm Canadian...my motorhome has been searched 4 times in the USA and at least 12 times in Mexico. Never been searched in Canada yet haha...
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote