Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2015, 01:03 AM   #295
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Wow....apparently you get stopped a lot and no one seems to like you.....there must be a reason for that!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2015, 06:58 AM   #296

Coach searched

I have learned a lot from this thread.
1. Don't carry contraband in plain sight.
2. Don't carry contraband at all.
3. Do not leave empty alcohol containers in plain sight.
4. Be curtious if they are, otherwise be a jerk.
5. Never concede to a search request, unless you have nothing to hide.
6. Don't snuff out a reefer as you approach the checkpoint.
7. If you drive a geezer car, make sure you are old enough.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:14 AM   #297

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Wow....apparently you get stopped a lot and no one seems to like you.....there must be a reason for that!
Agree. I'm almost 72 and have been driving since I was 16. Traveled by car or conversion van on my job for a lot of my life. Averaged over 30 k road miles a year. I have been stopped about 5 times in 56 years. Truth be known there should have been a couple more. That said, I have never been happy that I was being stopped, yet I never had a real problem with any of the officers. Even the one that stopped me on the Ohio Turnpike at 11:00 PM. It was late we were coming back from a weekend of sailing on Lake Erie and we had stopped to have dinner with friends. At dinner I even took some heat from friends because I was drinking coffee. Well it paid off. The reason for the stop was I had changed lanes several times in a short time. The traffic was light and I was tuning the radio with my wife sleeping in the passenger seat. The officer asked if I had been drinking, I answer that I had not. She asked if I would step back to her car and take a breath test as I had been doing a lot of lance changing. I said sure why not. I could of been an ass about this but what is the point? I had nothing to worry about and I even had five or six folks that could back me up. The look on her face when she looked at the meter was priceless. Her words were,"I guess you haven't". Was I pissed? Yes. I was going to call her boss. But I had to drive that section of the TP every weekend to get to my boat and I figured the next time she stopped me would not be as uneventful. Just not worth it.

What I don't understand is all of this fear of searching the car or motor home. Yes I know the rules but what's to hide? Who has $160 k in their home least of all their motor home? Willie Sutton was robbing the wrong banks.

Many of the same folks that rail about this search thing would be the same folks that if some guy had a truck full of weapons and was stopped for a tail light, then went on to do some heinous crime, would scream the loudest that the cops weren't doing their job.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #298

Quote:
How would anyone know whether or not I am a likeable person until after they stop/meet me? I am clean cut, a retired funeral director, and drive a good looking 2005 Fleetwood Fiesta 33' Class A. I set the cruise at 55, stay in the right lane, and stay between the lines. Since I am always well aware of my surroundings while traveling, in every instance I have spotted the parked patrol car well down the road in front of me, so make sure I have both hands on the wheel and am doing everything "right".

Don, I believe the reason is as simple as profiling. (1) RV + (2) Out-of-State plates, + (3) Sole occupant. Maybe if I drove a $300K DP, I could avoid these encounters, but I can't personally justify tying up that kind of money in a toy that I only use 40-50 days out of the year.
terryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:00 PM   #299

The coach I'm looking at is a Dynamax Force HD series. I did a quick layout for an 8 camera 1080p mobile camera system, with audio at every camera, which should be able to record for more than two weeks before it overwrites.

The cost for the system is not that much and it will provide for general security, watching the watchers and recording your journey. Another nice feature is that it has GPS, WiFi and 3 sensor inputs you can connect to left and right turn plus stop.

Basically there won't be any location around the coach that won't be recorded and much the same for the inside.

Maybe it's a bit of an overkill but that's the engineer in me
Old 07-04-2015, 08:01 AM   #300
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I just read this article on RV Travel Newsletter.

A federal court has ordered police in Nevada to return $167,000 taken from an RVer in a flimsy traffic stop back in 2013. Straughn Gorman was driving his motorhome to California when stopped for driving too slow in the left lane. Police questioned him and asked to search his rig, but Gorman turned them down. The officer turned Gorman loose then colluded with another police agency, and Gorman was stopped again. This time a drug-sniffing dog "alerted," and officers got a warrant to search. No drugs, but the big money was found, which they confiscated. The judge found "omissions" in the officers' testimony and that the state had no right to the confiscated cash.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:12 AM   #301

Country Coach Owners Club
"........ This time a drug-sniffing dog "alerted," and officers got a warrant to search. No drugs, but the big money was found, which they confiscated........"

OK, so he had a wad of cache. Now days most any money you handle has been involved in a drug trade at one time or another so a transfer from druggie to an honest person could give the "alert"

The cops were just looking for a haul to stuff their coffers.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:19 AM   #302

Coach searched

Would like to see the case file on that, Joe.
Why does anyone carry that much $?
I have about a hunert bucks. Is nuff.
Anyways, Howdy Joe and Annette? How is the Rainbow for you two?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:19 AM   #303

Mid Atlantic Campers
I personally allow them to search my coach and treat them as friendly as possible. Refusing a search can only make them suspicious and call in the dogs.
If your coach is used, dogs may alert to drugs or something else on board before you owned your coach. I offer them bottled water and tell them I like watching Cops. I think they must be as uncomfortable searching our coaches as we are.
Bowiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:26 AM   #304
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Would like to see the case file on that, Joe.
Why does anyone carry that much $?
I have about a hunert bucks. Is nuff.
Anyways, Howdy Joe and Annette? How is the Rainbow for you two?

Sent you a PM!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:42 AM   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
What I don't understand is all of this fear of searching the car or motor home. Yes I know the rules but what's to hide?
Maybe I've seen too many movies and TV shows, but I fear the "oh, here's a nice RV, let's plant something and confiscate it." Likely? I hope not. Possible? Why not?

I get the whole "vast majority of LEO are good and just doing their jobs" and refusing a search request would raise suspicions, but I've worked hard for what I've built up and don't want it all "donated" to some jurisdiction.
ColdForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:53 PM   #306

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
You posted this right after my post I am assuming it was meant for me since you did not identify who got stopped a lot. If it was for me you are absolutely correct. I have been stopped a lot in my lifetime. I love to drive fast. I have paid a lot of money in fines and higher insurance rates. I have no problem with being stopped and ticketed when I am breaking the law. I do however have a problem with police officers that stop you just because they can and they want to see if you have been drinking. I have had a lot of that in the 20 years I worked from 3:30 to midnights in the post office. They would make up something like I was swerving in order to stop me. Then they would lean into the car to smell my breath and shine their lights around to see if they could see alcohol containers. This almost always happened on Friday night when i would get off at midnight or later if i had to work overtime. Or the police officer I mentioned in Jenks, Ok.. I was not breaking the law but he had no way of knowing that. Stopping me to check on why I did not have a license plate is one thing. Not knowing the law and trying to tell me I had to comply with Oklahoma law is another. As I said there are a lot of police officers who do not know the law but think they do. As far as nobody likes me I would think several small town police departments would like me i am helping to increase revenue in their town.

If your comment was not meant to me just consider this my two cents worth post to your comment.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:29 PM   #307

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post

What I don't understand is all of this fear of searching the car or motor home. Yes I know the rules but what's to hide? Who has $160 k in their home least of all their motor home? Willie Sutton was robbing the wrong banks.

Many of the same folks that rail about this search thing would be the same folks that if some guy had a truck full of weapons and was stopped for a tail light, then went on to do some heinous crime, would scream the loudest that the cops weren't doing their job.
It is not a fear of the search, it is the fear that not protecting your rights will someday erode them.

It is not illegal to have a truck full of firearms. I frequently do when I go to the range. It is even worse when I take my brother and his firearms too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vaark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:04 AM   #308

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I just read this article on RV Travel Newsletter.

A federal court has ordered police in Nevada to return $167,000 taken from an RVer in a flimsy traffic stop back in 2013. Straughn Gorman was driving his motorhome to California when stopped for driving too slow in the left lane. Police questioned him and asked to search his rig, but Gorman turned them down. The officer turned Gorman loose then colluded with another police agency, and Gorman was stopped again. This time a drug-sniffing dog "alerted," and officers got a warrant to search. No drugs, but the big money was found, which they confiscated. The judge found "omissions" in the officers' testimony and that the state had no right to the confiscated cash.
Thank you Joe, for that article. After hundreds of threads pro`s and con`s to searches. This is what I personally am afraid of, is LEO in this state (Nevada) or any other state that use their power and authority to hassle this gentleman or other innocent people of false accusations of drug purchase. With the officer that let`s Mr. Gorman go on his own, then calls ahead for a drug sniffing dog to stop him for no apparent reason. And seized the money (for whatever this man had it for) Mr. Gorman had to hire an attorney to get back what rightfully his, the cost deducted from the money seized is wrong and should be addressed. As myself as being the OE of this subject, is why my friend was treated in the beginning why I brought forward to find out what other people thought of how easy the LEO`s can intimidate US citizens to consent to a search! I could go on and on, but this article in the reason I wrote my thread about a good friend of mine and his family experience that they had to go through. In the next thread I will show you the article that Joe was talking about.
Freebird1958 is offline   Reply With Quote