Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2018, 11:18 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coach selling advice

Loosing the battle with Parkinson disease and need to sell my beloved 2000 American Eagle 40 EVS. Any suggestions on the best approach/venue would be sincerely appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2018, 11:23 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Never an easy thing to do. My advice would be to go where you feel comfortable with the people. IE If I were going to sell my Bass Cat bass boat, I would start at the Bass Cat Owner's Forum, since I know many of those folks and since all there are Bass Cat type people that know the boats well. You usually find good treatment where you have a common bond (boat/RV/etc brand). USUALLY, of course. Eyes always open.

I would not touch a dealership / consignment approach unless timing is critical and price is not.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOC retired View Post
Loosing the battle with Parkinson disease and need to sell my beloved 2000 American Eagle 40 EVS. Any suggestions on the best approach/venue would be sincerely appreciated.
So sorry to hear that...
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:51 AM   #4

Gary,

Take lots of good quality pictures and write up a list of highlights of your coach.

Research a pricepoint that will generate buyer activity. You can price it to keep it or price it to sell it.

Place an ad on rvtrader.com for 130 bucks. It is a small price to pay to gain national exposure.

Additional ads can be placed on Craiglist, for free, in regions near you. All the best.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #5

Gary, sorry to hear about your struggle with Parkinsons. I too am battling health issues and am phasing out of RVing.

As has been said, if you're up to it, you would want to probably first try to sell it yourself privately but if it gets to be too much of a hassle and you just don't want the stress, I would strongly consider consigning it.

I have sold RVs privately but also on two occasions, have used a consignment dealer. Yes, you definitely will leave money on the table. However, it takes a lot of stress out of selling such an item. If that's the route you take at some point, be sure to use reputable consignment dealer even if you have to go out of your immediate area.

Consignment alleviates the stress of having to show the rig yourself. Sometimes, a lot of those who make appointments with you are tire kickers. Sometimes they never show after making an appointment. Sometimes they are scammers who are looking to see if you're an easy target.

Consignment alleviates directly having to negotiate with the potential buyer. A consignment dealer will be able to take a trade. They'll be able to arrange financing if the party doesn't have the cash to make the entire payment at once. They also do all the advertising and marketing and usually know how and where to advertise and market the rig for the best exposure.

They also can arrange for test drives, inspections, and other requests the potential buyer might want. Thees are all things that if selling yourself would have to strategically be worked out between you and the buyer.

Also, when selling yourself and you get to the point when a deal is imminent, there's always the stress of making sure the correct paperwork is being done, bill of sale, title transfer, etc. but especially determining how payment is going to be made. There's lots of threads on this but in my personal opinion --and from personal experience-- when selling to a party I don't know, I will now insist on a wire transfer only as the title is being passed from you to the other party. Many here do not agree that a wire transfer is necessary but have been advised from a legal standpoint that a wire transfer is the best way to insure that the funds are being transferred and available IMMEDIATELY with no hold. In these days, we can never be too careful with people we don't know. Consigning eliminates this process of making sure everything is done correctly pertaining to title transfer and payment.

Like I say, consignment takes a lot of stress out of the sales process. However as said, you do pay for that service. Plus, you will usually have to pay for consignment insurance as most insurance policies (some do but most do not) will not cover the rig while it's in consignment.

The very best to you and may you sell your rig fast with as little hassle as possible no matter how you decide to do it.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
gruelens has great advice above. I've used RVTrader and had excellent response. You will get replies from dealerships offering ridiculous amounts below what you are asking, but worth the trouble. Spend the time taking good quality pictures, and spend time on a good write-up. Those two things garner a lot of attention to your coach! M
17BerkXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:31 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I recently sold my coach on RV Trader; priced it aggressively (NADA low retail) and had buyers lining up. Sold it to the 2nd person to look at it.

First, I strongly recommend you favor cash buyers. Being on hold pending financing means you’ll be turning those cash buyers away. If someone wants to finance, tell them to come back when they have a documented loan commitment and their financier is ready to cut a check — no pre-approvals, thank you.

Pictures, pictures, pictures. I put 60+ pix on in a Flickr album and a link to those pix in my RV Trader ad (4 picture-limit). I got almost 300 hits on that album. If you’re not comfortable/capable of taking good pix, find someone to do it for you.

Offer to send prospects additional information like a copy of the original window sticker, CarFax report, PDF copy of the owners manual, etc. (Use PDF format for all documents.) if someone wants to pay for an inspection, don’t hesitate to agree.

Encourage an in-person tour/inspection of your Eagle and allow an accompanied test drive for any valid prospect who is legally licensed and experienced in driving a 40 foot coach. Plan a safe test driving route in advance.

Find a decent Purchase Agreement form online and have it filled out and ready to present. The agreement should protect both parties. Also, use PayPal for any earnest money payment — a personal transaction between friends is no charge — saves the buyer wiring fees. And do not hesitate to ask for proof of funds required to complete the sale.

Offer prospects a complete coach and systems walk-through after the purchase. Have a printed list of topics, and realize this could take a few hours, but your walk-through adds value to the sale and will save on questions later.

Finally, ask you banker what’s the safest way to close the deal and turn over the title. I did it at the buyer’s bank, where I witnessed his wire transfer before handing over the title.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:54 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Gary, I'm so sorry to hear about your struggle!

I would advertise it here in the IRV2 free classifieds, on RVTrader.com, and on Craigslist. Just be ready for the scam offers, especially on Craigslist!

I would specify in the ad that you will only accept a direct transfer of funds between their bank and yours, NO EXCEPTIONS! That's the ONLY safe way!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:25 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
IRV2 Adertising

I would also encourage anyone to advertise their coach in the IRV2 classifieds. When I recently sold mine, I advertised both on RV Trader as well as IRV2 , but the results were dramatically different. I received several dozen inquiries via my RV Trader ad, but I only got one inquiry from my IRV2 ad -- same pix, same copy, same time period.

Those results surprised me, for I've done very well in the past advertising/selling parts and accessories via IRV2. I hesitate to speculate why, other than RV Trader must be reaching a much wider audience.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:55 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Back in early February there was a posting by an owner who was having trouble selling. There was a lot of good feedback on the RV Trader posting to help generate more interest. Not sure how long it took to finally sell. The listing shows the coach as sold but still accessible with a price of $180K and I think he was listing it at $200K. Give a original poster a poke and see if they are willing to offer advice regarding selling a coach.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f112/sell...ml#post4021389
Old 05-22-2018, 09:20 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks to All

I sincerely appreciate all of the input and have posted the coach on RVT.com.

Wishing you all Safe and Happy motoring.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:27 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Consider going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/RvPricing/

I think the owner of that group does a real good job in valuing coaches with an eye towards proper pricing and quick sales.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, sell